YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Past Monthly Reads > JUNE BOTM - Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1942 comments Mod
Hi All,
The votes have been counted and the winner for our book of the month for June is...

*drumroll please*

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi
Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.

I'm super excited about this one and I will be reading it with you guys. Who is in with the book of the month read?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Once it comes, I placed it on hold. I will

message 3: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Who will be reading this one with us? I will be starting it towards the back end of next week.
I was intending to start it today however, a preorder came in early and I just can't wait haha.

message 4: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Ananya we will probably be starting it around the same time.

message 5: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I’ve finally started reading Children of Blood and Bone. Who else is joining in with the June read?

I’m about 50 pages in and it’s really interesting so far. It’s full of an interesting magical mythology that’s totally new and intriguing. I can’t wait to read more.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got it today!

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Books Life Other Oddities (hannahbloo) | 16 comments I've picked up a copy too! going to be joining in :D Has anyone started reading it yet?

message 8: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I have. I’m about 200 pages in and I am loving it. It’s so amazing. I cannot put it down.

message 9: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Loving this book so much. The African Mythology (I don't know if she has made it up or if it's real as I'm not big on African Mythology) is so well developed and thought out. The world building in this book is incredible. The more I read the more info I find out and just think it's so clever and fantastic. Can't wait to see what is going to happen next.

message 10: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Yes, it’s filled with African mythology. I’d never heard of any African God’s so I find it so fascinating.

I’m 337 pages in and it’s just so addictive. The story is phenomenal and shit is going down!!! It kills me to have to stop reading but I have work in the morning. Hoping to finish it in the next day or two. I can’t wait for more of you to read it so we can discuss. It’s just phenomenal. One of my fave reads of the year so far.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Starting to read!

message 12: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

YAY! I am so glad you guys are joining in the group read with me.

Ananya, same. Right from the start I was really intrigued by the premise and everything. I love that it's told from different points of view so we get a maji's perspective and a non-magical person's perspective as well. I can't wait till I finish work so I can read some more. I have just under 200 pages left to go.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I went to Barnes and Nobel Saturday. I paid for this book I got 40% off with the member card

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

What page is everyone on?

message 15: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I’m about 350 pages in. We don’t need to be at the same points though. Just post your reactions etc here as you read. If it’s a spoiler please use the spoiler tag and let us know what page/chapter you’re on before the spoiler tag.

If you don’t know how to use the spoiler tag type: <.spoiler> YOUR MESSAGE <./spoiler> but without the periods.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m 200 pages in my book

message 17: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Wow! You read fast! It’s took me 3 days to get to page 350 lol. I probably won’t be able to read much till end of the day tomorrow either. It’s already 10:30pm here and I have work from 8-5pm tomorrow 😭

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I have class Tuesday and Thursday too I’m not sure how reading is going to go this week

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Your just a little ahead of me. I go to early college so I understand the college work I actually am taking a English class

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Are you looking into teaching?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I see 😊

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Ananya wrote: "No. I'm still a little undecided. I'll probably join my dad's business. I go to his office everyday after college to learn stuff. Actually I want to become a writer, but I'm not sure if I'm ready f..."

Have you written anything?

message 23: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Wow. I am a full time teacher of Psychology in a college in England. It's hard work but so worth it. It definitely cuts into my reading time though.

If you want to be a writer you need to just write. Anything that comes into your head. So many authors say their first stories are embarrassing looking back but the only way you become good at it is by doing it.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Write stories on Wattpad that’s what I do

message 25: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Ahh I'm so scared. I'm about 430 pages in. I'm hoping to finish reading it tonight.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m only 300 😮

message 27: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I haven't met him yet I don't think. I haven't read the Grisha books so wouldn't know lol

message 28: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I just finished it WOW!

Non-spoiler thoughts: I loved it. It was action packed and filled with magic. I loved the hints of romance we got and hope we get more romance in book 2. I loved that it included West African mythology. I love books with mythology in it and I don't know anything about West African mythology so I loved it as it's so different and unique from other books with mythology elements. I highly recommend it. It's definitely one of my favourite fantasy books.

Spoiler Thoughts: (view spoiler)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Give me a hour and I’ll finish it 😂💗

message 30: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Ananya: (view spoiler)

message 31: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Ananya (view spoiler)

message 32: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Anaya: (view spoiler)

message 33: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Allsopp Having received the reminder and already owning the book, I intend to start the book this evening. I hope the content is as promising as the cover and blurb threaten to be ☺️👏🏻

message 35: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Hi Tanya, so happy you’re joining us. Hope you enjoy it. I loved it and am here to chat while you’re reading it.