YA LGBT discussion

Book Discussions > LGBT YA Fiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 7 comments Mod
Do you think ya novels do a good job of accurately portraying LGBT youth and the gay community? What are the benefits to LGBT stories in books as opposed to other forms of media?

message 2: by Jaide (new)

Jaide | 3 comments I think we need more diversity in ya novels, but it's definitely getting more and more widespread. as for the accuracy, i personally think simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda is quite good. other books like ari & dante are amazing, but i'm not sure how realistic they are? especially considering it's set in a different time period.
lgbtqiap+ characters in novels are important because i think everyone deserves to see a piece of them portrayed in a book, whether that's their ethnicity, sexuality, gender, etc.

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 7 comments Mod
I completely agree that there needs to be more diversity. While Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda and Aristotle and Dante are some of my favorite books, I struggle to find lesbian romance stories. I got lucky last year when I read Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit, but I feel as though there are significantly more stories with gay characters as opposed to lesbian, trans, or other identities. Do you think the lack of diversity in the LGBT+ genre is because it’s harder for books with LGBT+ characters to get the chance to be published or because there just aren’t that many authors writing for the LGBT+ community?

message 4: by Jaide (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

Jaide | 3 comments i 100% agree, i've only read about gay & bisexual characters, the other identities associated with lgbtqiap+ are a lot harder to find in ya. i think there's definitely less authors writing for the genre. while some authors chuck in a minor lgbtqiap+ character for diversity, i find it's usually ownvoices authors writing main lgbtqiap+ characters, so there's a lot less of it.

message 5: by jam (new)

jam (jam_mp3) | 2 comments i love alice oseman's books bc they feature more than just LGB people, she has a trans protagonist in her new book and a demisexual character in radio silence, plus a ton of bi and gay rep. it's probably a combination of lgbt+ people being a minority and it being more difficult to be published that means there aren't as many books out there for us. in terms of lesbian/wlw rep, i'd probably recommend everything leads to you as it is beautifully written with a really good story and leah on the offbeat (which as well as having a great bi character has lots of Simon/Bram so what's not to love)