Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Hobbit (The Lord of the Rings, #0)
This topic is about The Hobbit
Archived > Week 2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La Tonya (new) - added it

La Tonya  Jordan | 725 comments Mod
Post all thoughts and comments. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Week 2 - June 11- 17: Chapters V - VIII (5 - 8)

message 2: by Nat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nat K (natnoir) I found the first few chapters a bit slow...I don't know if it's because I should have read this years ago that I feel that way? Having seen the movie a few times, has probably affected how I think the story should be.

But (yes, there's always one), I've just edged past the chapter where Bilbo and the dwarves have escaped from the Goblin's cave (and Gollum). They've just been saved from the Wargs (wolves) by the King of The Eagles and his flock, and taken up to the Eagle's eeyrie, which I found beautifully descriptive. So seems that the story is speeding up a bit. I've also enjoyed the way Gollum was written about, with his lisping speech. That was well done.

message 3: by La Tonya (new) - added it

La Tonya  Jordan | 725 comments Mod
Nat wrote: "I found the first few chapters a bit slow...I don't know if it's because I should have read this years ago that I feel that way? Having seen the movie a few times, has probably affected how I think..."

Awesome !!! Keep posting your thoughts. Enjoy Reading.

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments I had forgotten how much fun and easy reading this book is, compared to its big brother TLOR, and funny how now I can actually enjoy the songs from the earlier chapters having an visual buoy because of the movies.
The riddle chapter were meet Gollum also feel different now that Peter Jackson's Gollum has been created, you feel automatically more for this poo wretched creature than simply based upon the book.
A fun and quick read, it is really a fairy-tale far more for children than I remembered.