Old Books, New Readers discussion

The Hobbit (The Lord of the Rings, #0)
This topic is about The Hobbit
Archived > Week1

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La Tonya (new) - added it

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Post all thoughts and comments. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Week 1 - June 4 - 10: Chapters I - IV (1 - 4)

Matt (mmullerm) I’ve gotten a bit of a head start, just finished chapter 1. I’m reading a leather bound version with illustrations by Tolkien. This is my third reading of The Hobbit and I love it more every time I read it. I like the action right from the start and it doesn’t let go throughout the story. That is where LOTR was a bit of a let down for me - too many slow parts, but imo, The Hobbit doesn’t suffer from that.

Our theme is mountains this month. I nominated The Hobbit, and I’m glad it won! In this story, a band of 14 (13 Dwarfs, plus one Hobbit, named Bilbo Baggins) travel to the Lonely Mountain to reclaim the Dwarfs’ homeland and treasure from the dragon Smaug. I know a lot of people do not care for fantasy, but elves, orcs, and wizards aside, this is just such a great story that I believe everybody ought to read it. My daughter is not a fantasy fan at all, and this was assigned reading for her last year, and she liked it the best out of all the books her English class read. It has a lot of themes and the descriptions are very well done.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 18 comments My deceased husband was addicted to the series, Matt, and read each one over and over again--it drove me crazy, too, but he knew the books inside and out, and he told me the Stones' "Stairway to Heaven" was about the series.

message 4: by Matt (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt (mmullerm) Skye wrote: "Stairway to Heaven was about this series”

Interesting, Skye! I have never heard that before - I’ll have to check that out.

Fantasy is my favorite genre, and while The Lord of the Rings trilogy is not my favorite series, The Hobbit is one of my favorite fantasy novels. Something about the Dwarfs reclaiming their homeland and Bilbo’s adventure is really magical to me.

I know a lot of folks don’t care for fantasy and the elves, wizards, etc. but I hope group members give this book a try. I think they’ll at least get enjoyment out of the story.

message 5: by Nat (last edited Jun 04, 2018 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nat K (natnoir) My brother loved the Hobbit and the entire LOTR series. I think he read the books more than once, and I'd always wanted to be "old enough" to read them! Years passed, and I'd pick the book up and then put it down (too many other distractions). But since being invited to join this group, it feels like synchronicity, and that it's finally the right time to read this classic. It's funny how things work out, isn't it.

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 18 comments Fantasy is not my favorite genre, either. Matt, let me know what you discover!

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments Just started today, it has been a while since I read this one, more specific when the kids liked to be read before going to sleep and they loved the hobbit. Then came the movies and now a return to the book.

I am still in awe of the first paragraph of the book where we get explained were a hobbit lived and not yet what a hobbit is, like you are supposed to know.

Paula Skye wrote: "My deceased husband was addicted to the series, Matt, and read each one over and over again--it drove me crazy, too, but he knew the books inside and out, and he told me the Stones' "Stairway to He..."

I never heard of Rolling Stones singing a song "Stairway to Heaven," but Led Zeppelin sang one by this name. The Stones have a song named "Heaven." Is that the one you mean?

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 18 comments I am so very sorry, but you are right!!!!! My error, Paula.

message 10: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian | 371 comments Mod
I read this twenty years ago, so it is fun to read this again after seeing the movies (which I hated..lol)

message 11: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt (mmullerm) I am a little bit behind the group reading schedule. Just finished chapter 3 when the Dwarfs, Bilbo, and Gandalf make it to Rivendell and meet with Elrond who reads the runes on Thorin’s map for them. I’m enjoying this re-read of The Hobbit. I needed something light to read, and this story is very entertaining.

message 12: by La Tonya (new) - added it

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "I am a little bit behind the group reading schedule. Just finished chapter 3 when the Dwarfs, Bilbo, and Gandalf make it to Rivendell and meet with Elrond who reads the runes on Thorin’s map for th..."

Great !!!! Keep posting your thoughts - Enjoy Reading.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 18 comments I am behind on everything!

message 14: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 14 comments I am a wee bit behind as Well, So sorry

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 18 comments :)