Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > LOVE SICK...By Autumn J. Bright ( JUNE 2018 MEMBER OF THE MONTH )

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 831 comments Mod
This book has 5 stars on Barnes and Nobles, and 5 stars on Amazon....

message 2: by Autumn (new)

Autumn J. Bright | 1 comments Hello Members!

Thanks so much for making my 2015 debut novel, Love Sick, the group's read for the month of June. Love Sick is a fast-paced, psychological suspense about twisted love, deception and murder...perfect for a lazy summer! I hope you all enjoy;)

message 3: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 5 comments Sounds intriguing! Looking forward to reading it.

message 4: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Well, I can tell you that it doesn't take to long for action to get started in this book.

message 5: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Well, I can tell you that it doesn't take to long for action to get started in this book.

message 6: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 279 comments Is this book avail for review in Kindle Format?

message 7: by stephanie, MOD (new)

YES.

message 8: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 279 comments Steph - is it free if you don’t hv KU?

message 9: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Don't know. It wasn't free for me. I have Nook.

message 10: by Jim (last edited Jun 03, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 293 comments This one looks like an absolute winner, Stephanie! I can't wait to get started reading. I have opened up a BOTM/MOTM site for this book. Check it out. I will be adding more info. as we go along.
http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 11: by Trina (new)

Trina  (TrinaNycolBrown) I'm new to the group; hello all. Very excited that you picked this book Stephanie. Sounds like a great read. I'm traveling so it's the perfect time for a new Kindle book to keep me company.

message 12: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Hi Trina, its a good read. I am half way through it, and I must admit that this husband has issues, but so does a few others in this book. I'm trying to figure out Ms. Toni, because of low self esteem or what.

message 13: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Anyone besides me reading this book? If so, let me know. Heck I am at Toni losing her job because of knuckle-head......winding down on this book.

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments Hey Steph, reading along with you. I just left off where Angela tried breaking it off with Knucklehead . . . and didn't succeed.

message 15: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Thank you Angela, we got to talk about Toni and her daughter Jasmine.....winding down within days.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments Sounds good. I'll have finished reading within a day or two as well.

message 17: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I finished this book last night, and will be putting my review up today. I hope a few others will read this, and put up what you think. I must say, I was thinking of a different ending, but I didn't write the book. Some may not like this book for abuse in marriage, which I know some have been through it or its a family member who is going through it. But over-all, its a good summer read. Thank you Ms. Autumn....

message 18: by stephanie, MOD (new)

So let me answer a few questions I got in a private message. I believe, now the key word is "I". that some men have a clue on what woman you are when they start shoving you around. Because if a man starts smacking you, and you do nothing, then it goes a step further, a beat down, Now if your a woman who smacks a man back after he tags you like an Ali fight, then he will think about it twice next time. I don't get why men do this, and yes there are women who abuse men as well, but we don't talk much about that because there is a stigma about that. I will tell you a story about this in my next post.

message 19: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Well I read this book off and on, and its not because it wasn't good, which it is, its that I like to sink in what I just read. The one thing that I didn't like about this book was just a tad bit of too much sex for me, but sometimes the sex makes the book. So as far as Toni in a marriage of beat-ups, stabbing, and husband's issues, I don't know why women think that they need a man like this. First hit, I'm out of there quick. I have to give 2 thumbs up for the daughter, for she seemed to know what was happening before the mother. I would have changed up on the ending of the book, but it's not my book (smile). I hoped that whoever is in a situation like Toni's to seek assistance and help without anyone getting into it so deep that someone ends up dead or in a coma...Good Read...

message 20: by stephanie, MOD (new)

As far as men not reporting that they get a smack down from a woman, its all because of people thinking that men are weak when it comes to abuse. Gotta be. Do people really laugh or look odd at a man reporting abuse by a female? Now I seen some women who look like Su-Mu wrestlers, and it would be tough getting away from them. We don't hear to much about men getting hit. It has to be a crush of the ego thing maybe? Jim, help me out here.

message 21: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Ruth, so sorry to hear about your father. I know how it can take a toll on you. Please take your time on coming back. So glad to see you, and so sorry for your loss.

message 22: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 279 comments Ruth - so sorry that your father passed! I know the feeling and can def relate - as my father passed in August! So much for a person to do!! God Bless You and Yours!! 🙏🌹

message 23: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 72 comments Ruth I'm sending thoughts and prayers to you and family at this time. I lost my daddy two years ago so I know the hurt you are feeling inside but also feel the peace knowing he is not in any pain or sufferingand know he is with you always... 🙏👼

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments One act of domestic abuse and violence and I'm out the door, but for others, it's not that simple, as Ms. Bright accurately portrays in the book (I've had one to many victims/survivors as my patient in my career as a nurse).

Domestic abuse and violence does not discriminate, and can happen to anyone . . . even to a smart, strong, successful woman as Toni.

I enjoyed Justine's perspective . . . one smart, determined eleven year old kid.

A good, solid read :-)

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments I thank Ms. Bright for addressing this topic . . . a topic that is often disregarded, excused, or forbidden from discussion. Thank you :-) Your book will resonate with so many out there.

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments Exactly Ruth. Nicely said :-)

message 27: by stephanie, MOD (new)

This to me was a lot of Psy issues. Remember how Toni was talked out of pressing charges after being stabbed? He did a lot of talking and how much he LOVES her. Detectives was livid because she didn't want to. He did a lot of talking, and he tried his best to be the best friend of Jasmine. But I'm on Jasmine's side, She was one smart cookie. Lesson to learn is this......LISTEN TO YOUR CHILDREN..I am glad that you all liked this book.

message 28: by Jim (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:18PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 293 comments Stephanie mentioned that I do have a Book of the Month website with links to discussions going waaay back. All of the past discussions are available for you to read (even if they are closed for adding comments). And believe it or not, some of the discussions were reaaaaly interesting. Check it out right here: http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 29: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 85 comments This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Sorry I missed the discussion but this book is on my to-read list and I can always look back over the discussion.

message 30: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Good Morning Ms. Anne. This book will be up until May 2018...It really was a good summer read. It is an eye-opener on the first page. My mind has a hard time trying to get involved with a book that I have to be in Chapter 5 to start understanding it, BUT not in this case....

message 31: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 85 comments Thanks stephanie! Sounds great :)

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna Schmidt | 20 comments I ordered it on Amazon and it is set to arrive today. I can’t wait to start reading and getting involved in the chats!

message 33: by Dave (new)

Dave (SheikL) | 8 comments I finished Love Sick and loved it!! There are times when books can be slow starting and then pick up later, but this book had me at page 2! I can relate to Toni... My ex was a nasty person, and I stayed around "for the kids", until things came to a head. Great book Autumn!!