Reading with Style discussion

59 views
RwS Summer 2018 > 20.9 Tom Wolfe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments In memory of Tom Wolfe and his passion for saturation reporting, read a work of creative non-fiction, focused on an external subject (i.e. not an autobiography).

Creative non-fiction (or literary non-fiction) "is a genre of writing that uses literary styles and techniques to create factually accurate narratives. Creative nonfiction contrasts with other nonfiction, such as academic or technical writing or journalism, which is also rooted in accurate fact, but is not written to entertain based on writing style or florid prose." (from Wikipedia)

Please post any comments or questions about task 20.9 in this thread.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12962 comments I know there are some awards with Creative Nonfiction as a category. The WILLA Award is one of them.

I find there are some lists that may be helpful, Keep in mind that because these are public lists, there may be entries that don't fit this task - I haven't looked at them thoroughly.

Best Narrative Nonfiction

Independent Reading: Creative Nonfiction

Best Creative Nonfiction


message 3: by Lalitha (new)

Lalitha (falcon_) | 85 comments Is there a 'tag' that can be used to point out that a book does indeed belong to this category?


message 4: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Here's a couple which should work:

Literary Journalism

New Journalism


message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1753 comments (Wondering aloud) Why is it that some tasks just EXCITE me? I have never before heard of Creative Nonfiction, nor would I have thought it would be something I would be excited about as I am not a big nonfiction fan. However, I scanned only two lists suggested above - The Willa Awards and The Best Creaive Nonfiction list - and found so many books that looked interesting and that I might like to read. I did finally pick one!

Thanks for introducing me to this genre of writing, Kate.


message 6: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Bea wrote: "(Wondering aloud) Why is it that some tasks just EXCITE me? I have never before heard of Creative Nonfiction, nor would I have thought it would be something I would be excited about as I am not a b..."

Thank you, Bea! I am glad you are looking forward to this one. I know I am.


message 7: by Lalitha (new)

Lalitha (falcon_) | 85 comments This is fantastic, Kate. I think I have picked what I want to read.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12962 comments There is also this blog about creative nonfiction. I chose a different book than the one on this list, but I was interested to read Annie Dillard is one of today’s most celebrated CNF writers. Her prose punches holes in other people’s prose.

https://clearwaterpress.com/oneyearno...


message 9: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3170 comments Would this work? Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum

It sounds like narrative, in that it "tells the stories of some of the hospital's best-known patients."


message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Rosemary wrote: "Would this work? Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum

It sounds like narrative, in that it "tells the stories of some of the hospital's best-known patients.""


Yes, this appears to fit the bill. Enjoy!


message 11: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2706 comments This one?

Jail Birds: Australian Women Doing Crime

"In this new collection of stories by Australia's true crime queen, Robin Bowles shines a light on women who have done hard time.

The astonishing skill and brazenness of their exploits, along with some apparent and shocking miscarriages of justice, will take your breath away. "



message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Tien wrote: "This one?

Jail Birds: Australian Women Doing Crime

"In this new collection of stories by Australia's true crime queen, Robin Bowles shines a light on women who have done hard time..."


Yes. Enjoy.


message 13: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2706 comments Thanks, Kate.


message 14: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Would most books by Mary Roach work then? I have previously read and enjoyed Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers and have been meaning to take up all the other wonderfully titled ones, such as Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War or Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal.


message 15: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Kätlin wrote: "Would most books by Mary Roach work then? I have previously read and enjoyed Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers and have been meaning to take up all the other won..."

Yes.


message 16: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Thank you Kate!


message 18: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Rebekah wrote: "Want to check on these
Fascism: A Warning by Madeleine K. Albright
[book:Freedom Sailors: The Maiden Voyage of the Free Gaza movement and how we succeeded in spite of..."


Yes
No-appears to be a memoir
Yes
No-see above
Yes
Yes
Yes
Maybe-this appears to be more scholarly than creative
Yes
Yes? it may be too much of a memoir, but if you're reading it anyway, I will trust your judgement
No-memoir
Yes
No-memoir
Yes


message 19: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4570 comments Kate S wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Want to check on these
Fascism: A Warning by Madeleine K. Albright
[book:Freedom Sailors: The Maiden Voyage of the Free Gaza movement and how we succe..."


Thanks. With those answers I think I got it!
Non- fiction that’s fun to read but not autobiography or memoir. I think


message 20: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4570 comments Kate S wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Want to check on these
Fascism: A Warning by Madeleine

What about [book:Haunted Too: Incredible True Stories of Ghostly Encounters
by Dorah L. Williams. The other is a memoir.



message 22: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Rebekah wrote: "Non- fiction that’s fun to read but not autobiography or memoir. I think."

That's a fair way to look at this task.


message 23: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Rebekah wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Want to check on these
Fascism: A Warning by Madeleine

What about [book:Haunted Too: Incredible True Stories of Ghostly Encounters
by [auth..."


I think this will work.


message 25: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4570 comments Here’s a list I found that might have good choices on it.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...


message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1753 comments Just noticed: shouldn't this task be 20.9, not 20.09?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12962 comments Bea wrote: "Just noticed: shouldn't this task be 20.9, not 20.09?"

They are the same in RwS land. We have the zero for in the scorekeeping database.


message 28: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1753 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Bea wrote: "Just noticed: shouldn't this task be 20.9, not 20.09?"

They are the same in RwS land. We have the zero for in the scorekeeping database."


OH!


message 29: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4570 comments Do biographies count?


message 30: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Rebekah wrote: "Do biographies count?"

Some biographies will work for this task. As long as they are more entertaining and not overly academic, and written by a 3rd party (no memoirs or autobiographies), they should work.


message 31: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2706 comments I do believe this book fits the task:

Tobruk by Peter FitzSimons?


message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Tien wrote: "I do believe this book fits the task:

Tobruk by Peter FitzSimons?"


I believe so as well! Enjoy.


message 33: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2706 comments Thanks, Kate!


message 34: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1480 comments I have already posted Chosen Country by James Pogue for 10.5 and can’t decide whether it qualifies for this combo. It is not academic, or journalistic but has some elements of memoir. And I am not sure if you could call it entertaining :)


message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments I am intending to post An Ocean Of Air: A Natural History Of The Atmosphere for this task. It is science and I am learning things but it is more a chain of small historical stories about how info was discovered.


message 36: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments itpdx wrote: "I have already posted Chosen Country by James Pogue for 10.5 and can’t decide whether it qualifies for this combo. It is not academic, or journalistic but has some ..."

With this endorsement, I will accept this book: "In a raw and restless narrative that roams the same wild terrain as his literary forebears Edward Abbey and Hunter S. Thompson". You are good to go with this one for 20.9.


message 37: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Beth wrote: "I am intending to post An Ocean Of Air: A Natural History Of The Atmosphere for this task. It is science and I am learning things but it is more a chain of small historical stories a..."

Looks good, I will take it.


message 38: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1480 comments Kate S wrote: "itpdx wrote: "I have already posted Chosen Country by James Pogue for 10.5 and can’t decide whether it qualifies for this combo. It is not academic, or journalistic..."

Thanks


message 40: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6332 comments Ed wrote: "Come On Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All: A New Zealand Story by Christina Thompson ?"

On first glance, this looked like a memoir. However, after reading a couple of reviews, it looks like there is less memoir and more generally informative. I will take it.


message 41: by Ed (last edited Jun 29, 2018 04:35PM) (new)


message 42: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2524 comments Ed wrote: "Thanks....Also...

Nevermind...I see it is classified as a novel.


Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker

see https://pen.org/gutted-how-kathy-acke..."



message 43: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2633 comments I am reading Dandelion Wine for this task. I saw it on some list for creative non-fiction (which, of course, I can't find now...). Anyhow, I just saw on GR that this is YA. It does have a lexile of 880. However, I think there is a school that uses this book in the BPL system. Does that mean it is disqualified for this (and any) task?


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12962 comments Valerie wrote: "I am reading Dandelion Wine for this task. I saw it on some list for creative non-fiction (which, of course, I can't find now...). Anyhow, I just saw on GR that this is YA. It does hav..."

Even though YA Assignment at BPL, with a Lexile of 800 or higher the book is qualified for all RwS tasks.


message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2633 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I am reading Dandelion Wine for this task. I saw it on some list for creative non-fiction (which, of course, I can't find now...). Anyhow, I just saw on GR that this is..."

Ok. Thank you, Elizabeth. I'm sure you've told me 10x, but I confused myself after I saw it is considered YA.


Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12962 comments Valerie wrote: "Ok. Thank you, Elizabeth. I'm sure you've told me 10x, but I confused myself after I saw it is considered YA. "

Not a problem. When unsure, always good to ask.


message 47: by Valerie (last edited Jul 05, 2018 11:46AM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2633 comments I misunderstood either the task or the definition of creative nonfiction (!) as it pertains to Dandelion Wine.

I see that I found this book on the list shared in post 8, it is #3 on the list. Of course, I recognize that lists are not definitive when it comes to RwS tasks.

https://clearwaterpress.com/oneyearno...

Kirkus reviews says this is not a novel, in the middle of the paragraph. See the review here:
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

Obviously, I will defer to what ever you all decide but thought I would take one last kick at the can.


message 48: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 06, 2018 01:58AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3170 comments What about travel writing? The kind that forms a narrative of the person's experiences in a place? I am thinking of The Silent Traveller in Oxford

The great thing about this season is that any well-known book (if not low lexile) will fit into Listopia Tag. I see Dandelion Wine has a lexile of 880 so even if it's not approved for this task, I hope you can find a place for it in your Listopia plan, Valerie!


message 49: by Jane CK (new)

Jane CK (jane_ck) | 8 comments How about Maggie Nelson's Bluets, which is basically an homage to the colour blue, definitely creative, and non-fiction?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...


message 50: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Jane wrote: "How about Maggie Nelson's Bluets, which is basically an homage to the colour blue, definitely creative, and non-fiction?"

Jane, I'm taking the liberty of jumping in as I've been eyeing this book for a while. Unfortunately the most popular English print edition clocks in at 98 pages, too short for the challenge. :(


« previous 1
back to top