Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > 20.10 Art World

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6269 comments 20.10 Art World (Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Task)

Read any book where a painting or sculpture or an artist (painter or sculptor) is central.

Please post any questions or recommendations in this thread.

message 2: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Seems as if this book would fit but want to be sure. Girl in Hyacinth Blue

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rebekah wrote: "Seems as if this book would fit but want to be sure. Girl in Hyacinth Blue"

Yes, I think many by that author will work for this task.

message 4: by Karin (last edited Jun 04, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

Karin I love this task--my middle child is majoring in visual arts and wants to specifically major in sculpture when she transfers to a 4 year school.

Now I have to find a book, and will start by checking out this author of Girl in Hyacinth Blue but will ask my daughter if she's head of any.

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4660 comments Susan Vreeland is one of my favorites!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Karin, coming from BC, you might like her The Forest Lover. Emily Carr was not your average everyday painter. My Review

message 7: by Karin (last edited Jun 04, 2018 05:52PM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin, coming from BC, you might like her The Forest Lover. Emily Carr was not your average everyday painter. My Review"

True, but having been made to study her and a few others over and over again, I might seek elsewhere. I do like some of her paintings, though. Plus, I'm leaning toward sculpture because of my daughter.

However, I do love the work of Canadian painter Paul Peel who is not nearly well enough known. I saw an exhibition of his works once, I think one of the years I lived in London, ON, so perhaps there is something about him or one of his paintings.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Ok, well I plan to read The Bernini Bust. I have no illusions of its being "literature" but I have enjoyed others by this author, and it's been sitting on my shelf patiently waiting my attention.

message 9: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ok, well I plan to read The Bernini Bust. I have no illusions of its being "literature" but I have enjoyed others by this author, and it's been sitting on my shelf patiently waiting m..."

Are they humorous? Grisly?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments I have read only one in this series, and yes, there was some humor. No blood.

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I have read only one in this series, and yes, there was some humor. No blood."

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments In case anyone is interested, Luncheon of the Boating Party Kindle edition is on sale at $1.99 today (and not sure how much longer).

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "In case anyone is interested, Luncheon of the Boating Party Kindle edition is on sale at $1.99 today (and not sure how much longer)."

Thanks! Bought it!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would like to check if these work
Stealing Athena
The Botticelli Secret
With Violets
Scorpio Rising
The Memory Painter
[..."

Except for [book:Scorpio Rising|12436910], all of these should work.

message 18: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Would like to check if these work
Stealing Athena
The Botticelli Secret
With Violets
Scorpio Rising
[book:The Memory Pai..."

Thank you, Elizabeth

message 19: by Beth (last edited Jun 26, 2018 05:28AM) (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments I read In the Shadow of Statues: A White Southerner Confronts History, the group read (which was excellent) and did not claim this as a combo. But I dont know if I should have.

The book starts and ends with the struggle to get the statues (sculptures) removed, but the bulk of the book is about Landrieu growing up in New Orleans and giving you background on the people, politics, Katrina, etc that form the foundation of his decision to push for the removal of the Confederate/LostCause honoring statues.

So combo or no combo? Thanks.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Beth wrote: "So combo or no combo?"

No, this doesn't seem to fit the task.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments That is what I thought. Thank you for the official review.

message 24: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments Request a ruling on The Book of Evidence by John Banville.

The GR description makes it seem that a piece of art is a part of the plot. I am just beginning it, so I do not know how much a part.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Gabriel wrote: "Request a ruling on The Book of Evidence by John Banville.

The GR description makes it seem that a piece of art is a part of the plot. I am just beginning it, so I do not k..."

Looking through the reviews here on GR, I don't see that the painting is central, but that doesn't mean it will not qualify for this task. I haven't read it, though I hope to get to it someday. I leave that deciding about being "central" to you after you've finished. I know you will enjoy it, and it does qualify for 10.9 so it will count there if not here. I'll look forward to your review.

message 26: by Anika (last edited Jul 09, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Anika | 2073 comments Would The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett work for this task? From the jacket copy: "Suddenly, a well-meaning art restoration project turns into a frightening search for ghosts, hidden treasure, and a coded message left behind by [Frank Lloyd] Wright. In this tangled web where life and art intermingle with death and danger, can the kids pursue justice and escape with their lives?"
If it's anything like the first in this series (Chasing Vermeer), it will not only include and focus on the art of the titular person (in this case, Frank Lloyd Wright--neither a painter nor a sculptor, but still one can argue an "artist" whose work is even featured in the Metropolitan Museum of Art!), but ties in other works of art/artists as well...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Anika wrote: "Would The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett work for this task? From the jacket copy: "Suddenly, a well-meaning art restoration project turns into a frightening search for ghos..."

I'm afraid this won't work. Yes, I can agree that Wright was an artist, but the task is specifically for just the two types of art mentioned.

message 28: by Anika (new)

Anika | 2073 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anika wrote: "Would The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett work for this task? From the jacket copy: "Suddenly, a well-meaning art restoration project turns into a frightening s..."

No worries, I'll use it for the Listopia Tag subchallenge instead :-)

But just to be on the safe side, can I get an approval for the third book in the series, The Calder Game? This one looks like it's about an Alexander Calder sculpture that disappears...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Yes The Calder Game will work for 20.10.

message 30: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2667 comments Is this one ok?

Cat's Eye

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Tien wrote: "Is this one ok?

Cat's Eye"

Yes!

message 32: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1041 comments Please can you rule on this one? Trick. The main character is a book illustrator.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Lagullande wrote: "Please can you rule on this one? Trick. The main character is a book illustrator."

Yes.

message 34: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1041 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "Please can you rule on this one? Trick. The main character is a book illustrator."

Yes."

Yay! Thank you :-)