Espionage Aficionados discussion

The Great Liars
This topic is about The Great Liars
Archives > The Great Liars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jerry (last edited Jul 30, 2014 03:35PM) (new) - added it

Jerry (banjo1) | 15 comments From Kirkus Reviews:
“Carroll believably brings both historical and fictional figures to life while slowly and skillfully unreeling Brady’s story, which shifts back and forth between World War II and the early 1950s.”
“. . . a detailed portrait of an unlucky man caught up in events far beyond his control.”
“A riveting adventure that effectively explores the idea that history is written by the winners.”

From Amazon reviews:
By David Hyams -
"The Great Liars" is a charming, irreverent twist on the politics and diplomacy leading to World War II -- "Winds of War" meets Gore Vidal. Wonderful writing, titanic personalities, and an unforgettable, insouciant hero equally at home with Churchill, MacArthur, Roosevelt, sailors or Kentucky moonshiners. You'll wish it were longer!

By Carla Befera (Burlingame, CA USA) -

Using a "what if" proposition, Carroll free-wheels through US history, told through characters who leapt off the page - most notably a Zelig-like hero who meets everyone from Roosevelt to Churchill to MacArthur and describes the encounters in hilarious chatty detail. Mixed in is the Smithsonian archivist who stumbles onto his story, and the government agents attempting to hush up what he may reveal to an unsuspecting public. I am not someone who has ever cared for WWII literature, but I could not put this book down. The character voices, each distinct, were so vivid, and the descriptions absolutely brilliant. If I had to compare I would liken this to some of Kingsolver's great works, particularly her recent "The Lacuna," which interweaves famous lives into novel form. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you like historical fiction, war stories, or none of the above and are just drawn to a good read, grab this book. Only bad part: having it come to an end!

By Jjiraffe

Fans of Alan Furst and John le Carré - as well as those who love a good conspiracy theory - will enjoy this novel, which posits that FDR was well aware that the Japanese were planning to attack American shores yet kept quiet. The main character of this novel is, like Victor Henry in "The Winds of War," an insider close to primary Allied actors during WWII (like Harry Hopkins and Winston Churchill). But unlike Henry, Lowell Brady's knowledge of inside Allied dealings becomes very dangerous to him, in ways you may not expect.

"The Great Liars" is a page-turner that will keep you make you rethink Pearl Harbor, FDR and whether the US kept silent in order to ease our entry into WWII.

By Kenneth Conner (San Francisco, CA)

Lieutenant Lowell Brady has a story to tell – and the FBI and the CIA are determined to shut him up.

As a former White House insider, ferrying secret communications between President Roosevelt and Winston Churchill, Brady watched as the two leaders conspired to bring the United States into World War II at an almost unimaginable cost in American lives and treasure.

Now Brady, living under an assumed identity in an old soldiers home, has decided to tell a researcher with the Smithsonian what he saw, a story that will turn the history of the 20th century upside-down, if government agents don’t catch him first.

Jerry Jay Carroll’s “The Great Liars” is a first-rate political thriller, a riveting tale brilliantly envisioned and beautifully told – an absolute must-read for anyone interested in the infamous attack on Pearl Harbor.

By Douglas C.

“The Great Liars” is a gripping, fictional account of intrigue in the White House and the military before and after the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, which triggered the United States’ entry into World War II.
This book is a page-turner – whether or not you believe that President Franklin Roosevelt in fact knew of Japan’s impending attack and kept silent because he saw the attack as the only means of winning the American public’s support for U.S. entry into the war.
The central character in Jerry Jay Carroll’s engrossing tale is Lowell Brady, a Navy lieutenant and stepson of a powerful U.S. senator. He operates in a realm populated by FDR, Winston Churchill, Douglas MacArthur, Harry Hopkins and other lions of power.
Two people recount the story – Brady and Harriet Gallatin, a young Smithsonian researcher who comes across Brady in an old soldiers’ home after the war. From beginning to end, these two storytellers grab hold of you. Even when the last page is read – and this is my measure of whether a book has truly swept me into its world – you wish you knew what happened next. A sequel perhaps? I very much hope so.

From Ace of Spades:
What I'm Reading
I may have mentioned The Great Liars by Jerry Carroll a few weeks ago, but if not, I'll do so now. I'm about a third of the way through it, and it's a real hoot. A Smithsonian researcher has discovered, in a nursing home for retired soldiers, a former naval officer (and a bit of a rogue) who knows where all the bodies are buried, and who has somehow managed to keep himself out of the history books. In the days leading up to World WWII, Commander Lowell Brady acted as a liaison between FDR and Churchill, carrying secret communications between them, meeting all the politicians and famous people of the era, and seducing (as well as sometimes seduced by) many of their women. So he knows what went on, and why they want to shut him up.
Carroll, a former reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, is also the author of Inhuman Beings (which has been described as a cross between Raymond Chandler and Philip K. Dick) and Top Dog, which is about a Wall Street shark who awakes one day and finds himself in the body of a dog and caught up in the cosmic battle of Good vs. Evil. Kind of a Kafka/Tolkien mash-up.
'The Great Liars' is structured around an alternate, but not totally implausible, version of history, but, from what I can tell, that would make it the most "normal" of Carroll's books.
They all sound pretty interesting, though.
“. . . a heady brew of military history and conspiracy theory that will appeal to aficionados of both.”
“The Pulitzer-Prize nominated journalist smartly centers this historical novel, an amalgam of facts and suppositions, on a charming rogue.”

The synopsis:
It seems like easy duty. Lieutenant Lowell Brady is ordered to London as a secret liaison to Winston Churchill, who is working his way back to power as the threat from Germany grows. All this dashing officer has to do is pass on messages, a made-to-order job for a handsome rake with no greater ambition than finding a rich woman to marry. The Navy would have kicked out the scoundrel long before if it weren't for the influence of his stepfather, the powerful Senator from Georgia, who got Brady a billet as a minor White House aide. “You’d be nothing without me,” he says. Brady, no fool whatever else his faults, is the first to agree. It's a good thing his mother adores him and the senator is firmly under her thumb. Roosevelt and Churchill see war coming, and struggle to get their countries ready, no easy job when America wants nothing to do with Europe and its troubles. When the balloon goes up, Brady expects to be behind a desk far from danger. But the ailing Harry Hopkins, Roosevelt’s friend and closest adviser, takes a shine to him. When war breaks out, Brady goes with him to London for a top-secret pow-wow with Churchill during the Blitz, and then on to Moscow and the Kremlin for talks with the sinister Stalin. It is dangerous that close to power, as Brady further finds out when he becomes part of the small circle that knows Roosevelt intends to get America into the war before it is too late, even if it means sacrificing the Pacific Fleet. Against his selfish nature -- swinish wouldn't be too strong -- Brady goes out of channel to warn of the coming attack. Caught red-handed, his punishment is being ordered to join MacArthur in the Philippines. When he survives Corregidor, he is dispatched to Guadalcanal. They want shut him up for good, but Brady is as slippery as an eel. Years after the war, Smithsonian researcher Harriet Gallatin comes across his story while interviewing veterans at an old soldiers' home. Skeptical at first, she becomes a believer when the FBI and then the CIA take a menacing interest in her research. If the truth gets out, reputations will be destroyed and political careers ended. One thing is clear. The two of them have to disappear fast.

message 2: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry (banjo1) | 15 comments Felix, thanks for the opportunity to spread the word.

message 3: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry (banjo1) | 15 comments Did I mention I spent years on this?