The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

H. Beam Piper
This topic is about H. Beam Piper
Science Fiction Authors > H. Beam Piper

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments The name H. Beam Piper is familiar, but I don't know much about him. I read recently a story by him named The Return. It was quite good so I read the novel for which he seems to be best known, Little Fuzzy. What a pleasant surprise. So, now I'm reading Uller Uprising.

H. Beam Piper didn't win a lot of awards. I think he was writing back when the Hugo and Nebula were just getting started. I'm not familiar with him - just now getting a taste. Does anybody know his work?

message 2: by David (last edited May 30, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

David Lutkins | 38 comments I've read a few of Piper's stories and have never been disappointed.
He Walked Around the Horses is pretty terrific, IMO. Its available on Gutenberg and an excellent reading of it is available on Librivox.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4281 comments Mod
Thanks for starting the topic, Buck.

David, thanks for mentioning Librivox. They have quite a few of his works. I'm getting them now.

I've read a few short stories by him & have always liked them. None leap to mind, though. I read Little Fuzzy not long ago & gave it 4 stars in my review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

A friend commented on my review to recommend another 'Fuzzy' book that she liked & it turns out there's quite a few. Only one other by Piper, though. They're here:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4937...

message 4: by Dan (last edited May 31, 2018 03:16AM) (new)

Dan His best work IMO was the Paratime series. It's the only alternative history I've ever read that I consider to be "real" science fiction. His short story, "He Walked Around the Horses," is first in the Paratime series, and even more terrific when you realize its greater context. The six short stories can all be found at Gutenberg. The novel, if you make it through the stories, would need to to be purchased. Wikipedia has an excellent article on Paratime I recommend referring to as you make your way.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I despised Space Viking, but enjoyed the Little Fuzzy books.
(I also liked Scalzi's update/ rewrite.)

I think I'm ready to try his short stories; thank you for the thread. Buck, and for the rec's, all.

message 6: by Buck (last edited May 31, 2018 07:19PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments Jim wrote: "Thanks for starting the topic, Buck.

David, thanks for mentioning Librivox. They have quite a few of his works. I'm getting them now."

Even though I said I read those books, I actually listened to Librivox recordings. H Beam Piper's books apparently are in the public domain. The third book, Uller Uprising, which I just finished was also from Librivox. Uller Uprising was military and you could tell it had been written not long after World War II from all the references and allusions.

Librivox isn't my first source of audio books, but when I can't get something from my library through OverDrive or Hoopla, I go to Librivox. My library has very little H Beam Piper. The first two book readings were quite good. Uller Uprising, unfortunately, was somewhat amateurish.

And Librivox now has commercials but you can fast forward through them. I do wish they would turn the volume down - they're much louder that the book.

message 7: by Jim (new)

I haven't run across the commercials in the Librivox recordings. What a drag. I do the same as you with respect to audio books. I can understand a dearth of SF at the library or rather I've grown inured to it, but I was surprised to find they have no Hemingway & neither does Librivox save for a poem.

message 8: by David (new)

David Lutkins | 38 comments I hadn't seen the commercials on Librivox either; I had assumed it was because I run an ad-blocker in Chrome. I think the Librivox audiobooks are also on YouTube, or at least some of them:

He Walked Around the Horses

message 9: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments Jim wrote: "I can understand a dearth of SF at the library or rather I've grown inured to it, but I was surprised to find they have no Hemingway & neither does Librivox save for a poem"

Librivox does books that are in the public domain. My understanding (not necessarily accurate) is that public domain includes books published before 1923, or 70 years after the death of the author, or books that are designated so by the author. The latter apparently is the case with H. Beam Piper. Most of Hemingway's work is after 1923, and he died less that 70 years ago.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Your understanding matches mine, but I was hopeful. I think the copyright can be renewed by anyone that wants to pay, too. There are some Conan stories that are tied up until 2060 or something awful here in the US. They're PD in Australia, though. Complicated mess.