Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Dying in Indian County (Listopia)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 1011 comments Dying in Indian Country A Family Journey from Self-Destruction to Opposing Tribal Sovereignty by Beth Ward
1 star
Going to keep this short. What they ware are not "costumes". He was a married man. I stopped reading on page 53 and skimmed the rest of the book. I could care less about what else the woman has to say.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Wow, thanks for the heads up.
Although, to be fair, in some academic circles we *all* wear 'costumes' ... not in the dressing up or play-acting sense, but in the sense that a three-piece suit is a costume, and so is the all-black outfit of a beatnik or a Goth.
But I totally believe you that this is a bad book, and that my defense of the use of that word is irrelevant. I'll skip it!

message 3: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 1011 comments Cheryl wrote: "Wow, thanks for the heads up.
Although, to be fair, in some academic circles we *all* wear 'costumes' ... not in the dressing up or play-acting sense, but in the sense that a three-piece suit is a..."

Very, good point about the costumes of life.
Costumes to me if dressing up to become something you are not but again you do have a good point.

Here is a review someone else wrote. I agree with it too.
"Aluvrianne rated it did not like it · review of another edition
Author mistakes assimilation for equality."

Yes skip it, she is trying but knows enough but not enough to fully get it. I myself will never fully understand or get it but I am did not write a book or nor am I going to write a book what I do know.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Cheryl wrote: "Wow, thanks for the heads up.
Although, to be fair, in some academic circles we *all* wear 'costumes' ... not in the dressing up or play-acting sense, but in the sense that a three-piece suit is a..."

I love your small tangent only to dismiss it at the end. You have no idea how many of those I type and never submit. Haha.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Well, I'm insatiably curious and like to collect data, Jason. Giving consideration to all available points of view, all known factors, is important to me.

I don't believe that something worth the effort of typing up ought to be dismissed (so long as it's not hurtful or whatever, of course).

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Thank you for your response, SouthWestZippy.