Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta Reader (Creative Writing Student)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alejandra (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:46AM) (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments Hello, now that Summer break is here I've decided to lend my creative writing knowledge to fellow aspiring writers. I'll officially be obtaining my bachelors in Creative Writing this Fall, and will be applying to graduate school shortly thereafter. I'm a plot and character development focused reader, so I'll look at works with these at the forefront of my critique. Any genre is fine, but I won't have much to offer in the way of erotica, horror, or sci-fi. I'm primarily interested in short stories and novels not exceeding 100k words. I'm also open to reading poetry, though my critique will be limited only to theme and form. Depending on how many replies I get I might not have time to go through everyone's work, so I'll be selective. Thank you.

Edit: As of 06/14 I have open spots available. However, as I will be a little busy these next few weeks, I'm going to be especially partial to shorter works (anywhere below 50k). Thank you for your patience.

message 2: by Serena (new)

Serena Fox | 3 comments Hello Alejandra.

First of all thank you for offering your skilled services, and happy summer break.

My story is a 45k upper middle grade Christian fantasy. Would you be willing to take a look at it? I am actually craving true criticism. I am eager to grow into an accomplished author. Not so eager that I would rush, hound or crowd you though.

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire | 21 comments Alejanda

Will you read a mystery?

CAM GIRL MURDERS 82,500 Words.

If interested e-mail me at dcymai@aol.com

Thank you for your consideration

David

message 4: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments Serena wrote: "Hello Alejandra.

First of all thank you for offering your skilled services, and happy summer break.

My story is a 45k upper middle grade Christian fantasy. Would you be willing to take a look at..."

A Christian Fantasy sounds intriguing. I'm not too sure what that entails but I'm eager to find out. You can send it over/contact me via alejandra.per@yahoo.com

message 5: by kotokuki (new)

kotokuki | 5 comments Hello!

I've written my first book, NA/YA 63K (Word Doc.) entitled "Dandelion Graves."

It is an unconventional story that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster.
Racing home from work Sam opens an old shoebox of letters entitled with single blurbs on the envelopes. Opened at random, the letters were given to Sam at the age of twelve when Sam's sister (a righteous, fiery thing) experienced a loss during her junior year of high school. These letters are her raw thoughts throughout a year of grieving, continuing life, and experiencing other hardships.

This has developing plot, comic relief, foreshadow, and the curiosity of whom Sam is grieving for. Outside of the beginning and ending, the entire book is told through the letters -- a frame story. Let me know if you're interested. thanks!

message 6: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments kotokuki wrote: "Hello!

I've written my first book, NA/YA 63K (Word Doc.) entitled "Dandelion Graves."

It is an unconventional story that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster.
Racing home from work Sam op..."

This sounds like something I could give proper feedback on. You can message me here on the site to go over the details further, or email me at alejandra.per@yahoo.com.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Mckernan | 6 comments Hello Alejandra,
Would you be interested in betareading my 35,000 word novella? It's called Breaking Religion: Touching Real.
In a sentence...
When a misspent damaged young man dies and meets God, he returns to life ready to face his demons and win back the person he was meant to be.

I would love feedback from you, especially given your areas of expertise in writing.
Kind regards,
Scott

message 8: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments Vida wrote: "Hi,
my novella is Urban Fantasy-Romance / completed / 40.000 words / lgbt characters

blurb:
Gina Bell is licensed to hunt creatures of magic. Or monsters, as people call them.
When an owner of Li..."

Scott wrote: "Hello Alejandra,
Would you be interested in betareading my 35,000 word novella? It's called Breaking Religion: Touching Real.
In a sentence...
When a misspent damaged young man dies and meets God, ..."

I can look at both your works, only I'll be queueing you until I've finished beta reading the two works I'm currently doing, if that's alright.

Please email me at alejandra.per@yahoo.com, and we can work something out.

message 9: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Sawyer | 74 comments Hi! Are you doing beta reading of individual chapters?

message 10: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments Hailey wrote: "Hi! Are you doing beta reading of individual chapters?"

Hello, yes I can do that. I'd have to add you to a queue, but depending on the length of your chapters I could move you up. Shoot me an email if you're interested.

message 11: by Aneta (new)

Aneta Dabrowska | 28 comments Hi Alejandra,

I've just emailed you :)

message 12: by Rutendo (new)

Rutendo | 2 comments Hi! You’re a star for doing this! I’m wondering if you’ll be interested in reading a YA Fantasy/Paranormal with angels? It’s complete at 78k words and here’s a blurb:
‪Set in alt Zimbabwe: Chiedza finds out her ancestors have been systematically murdered & that the power she's inherited from them puts her next on the list. Doesn’t help that she's making the same mistake that started the killings: falling in love.‬

If you’re interested, you can reach me at rchidzodzo@hotmail.co.uk

message 13: by Madison (new)

Madison Paige | 1 comments I'm unsure if you're still looking for stories to beta or if you've settled on one, but I have a 55,000 fantasy/action story if you're interested!

It's called Mark of Faith, and if you really wanted to check it out before saying yes or no, I have it up on Wattpad at https://www.wattpad.com/story/9650327... Have a great break!

message 14: by Ilana (new)

Ilana Long | 3 comments Hi Alejandra,

I know you're looking for short....but this one's funny, so it's great for a light summer read.

I am looking for a reader to critique for my 65,000 word comic fantasy.

High school teacher Miss Trudy Lakelinker doesn’t feel a speck of remorse the day she decides to plagiarize her student’s creative writing assignment; but the moment Trudy swaps student Catherine Willit’s name for her own, chaos erupts. The star of Catherine’s story, an enormous gelatinous sea blob, comes to life to wreak havoc on the students and staff at the Central American International School. Amidst the catastrophes that plague the campus—the ash storms, the locusts, and an immaculate conception—Catherine realizes that her book has been hacked, and the teen author seeks lasting revenge.

Thanks for considering it,
Ilana

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Rae | 1 comments Hello Alejandra,

Thank you for your willingness to beta read.

I have a Children's Book titled, "Don't Be Sassin' The Moose". It is book 2 in my 'Dream series,' and it's 4600 words.

My pen name under my children books is J. L. Spanj. I am Kathy Rae.

Thank you for considering it,

Kathy

message 16: by Soluuna (new)

Soluuna Hey Alejandra!

If you have any spots left I have a poetry collection where I would like your overall thoughts and feelings reading through it.

Thank you for your time,
Camilla

message 17: by D.C. (new)

D.C. Burton (dc_burton) | 6 comments Hi Alejandra,

I have a short fiction piece about 2.5k words title, "Beer is Food" that can be best excerpted as,

"What would you do if you knew today is the day you'd be murdered?"

As a warning, there is violence and swearing in that piece.

I also am 4 chapters (about ~10k words) into a Greek mythological fiction novella surrounding the apocalyptic end to the 6th age of mankind. This is a framed story with each chapter playing as a short story from a different god's POV.

If you are interested in either I'd be happy to send them over!

message 18: by Alejandra (last edited Jun 22, 2018 11:20PM) (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments D.C wrote: "Hi Alejandra,

I have a short fiction piece about 2.5k words title, "Beer is Food" that can be best excerpted as,

"What would you do if you knew today is the day you'd be murdered?"

As a warning,..."

I'm currently looking over a longer piece for someone else, but I can definitely look at your short story. Shoot me an email at alejandra.per@yahoo.com

Camilla Soluuna wrote: "Hey Alejandra!

If you have any spots left I have a poetry collection where I would like your overall thoughts and feelings reading through it.

Thank you for your time,
Camilla"

You're the first person interested in sending me some of their poetry, so I'm pretty excited about this. Email me at alejandra.per@yahoo.com to go over the details. Thanks.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 80 comments Hello Alejandra ,
I realize you have a lot of responses already, but I have a short horror/dark fantasy story that's about 3,130 words that I would love feedback on if you are still able to look over stories. If you're interested let me know :)

message 20: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments Amanda wrote: "Hello Alejandra ,
I realize you have a lot of responses already, but I have a short horror/dark fantasy story that's about 3,130 words that I would love feedback on if you are still able to look ov..."

I can definitely look over your story, since it's so short. Send me an email at alejandra.per@yahoo.com, thanks.

message 21: by Rhea (new)

Rhea Adair (rheaadair) | 4 comments Hello!

I know you said you want to read works under 100k, and even though mine is 104k, I would still like to ask for you to give me a chance. That of course, if you are interested.

My book is a fantasy and I actually stopped writing because I came at a crossroads and I don't know if what I'm doing in right.

He stole her blood's life. Now he will pay with his.

Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Leida fights in the woods for survival. Her life is simple: hunt and survive. Until one day when ash starts to fall from the sky every purpose is shattered by the dying flames of a raid.

Faced with her family's death, she decides that there is only one reason for her to live. For revenge. But when Leida has to face powers thought to be a gone, she realises that legends are real. Given a role at court Leida will keep her head down, just that she will keep her oath-- kill the King and shatter his empire. She'll have to trust her instincts, but there are plenty of people that stand between her and the King. And one of them might as well steal her heart.

As her lust for revenge deepens and the night gets darker, a rising shadow threatens everybody at court, including Leida. With a murderer on the loose that kills highborns in broad daylight and a monster that rules to kill, Leida will have to enter the game of betrayal and lies, risking not only to lose her soul, but also her heart.

I really hope you would like to read it and I look forward to hearing from you!

message 22: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 11 comments Quiarah wrote: "Hi there, Alejandra! Nice to meet you!

I was wondering if you could give YA high fantasy a read? It is currently a work in progress with eight completed chapters, but I’d love the feedback on how ..."

Hello, could you tell me what the work's current word count is? I'm interested, but I have to make sure I'll have time to get through all of it. Thanks.

Rhea wrote: "Hello!

I know you said you want to read works under 100k, and even though mine is 104k, I would still like to ask for you to give me a chance. That of course, if you are interested.

My book is a ..."

Hello. Your synopsis sounds interesting, but unfortunately I need to cut down on beta work because I've fallen behind on projects of my own. 100k + words is a larger commitment than I have time for. Sorry, and good luck!

message 23: by Rhea (new)

Rhea Adair (rheaadair) | 4 comments Alejandra wrote: "Quiarah wrote: "Hi there, Alejandra! Nice to meet you!

I was wondering if you could give YA high fantasy a read? It is currently a work in progress with eight completed chapters, but I’d love the ..."

Thank you very much for taking the time and writing this.
Good luck with your projects 💓

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Hutchison | 21 comments Alejandra, sounds like you are swamped, but I will still tell you about my novel.
It is a contemporary romance, 68K.
Blurb:
Angie Chandler is a waitress and an aspiring actress, with a local rock star BF - and money problems.
Bradley Owens is a successful computer geek with his ten-year high school reunion coming up and no impressive girl to accompany him.
When Angie answers Bradley's ad, it is just a gig, but when she discovers that Bradley chose her because she looks like his high school crush, who is also at the reunion, and single, Angie decides to play matchmaker.
Can Angie make Bradley's dreams come true? And what about her own dreams?

If you are interested my email address is: brohutch@hotmail.com

message 25: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Saw you were looking for works to read. Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...

message 26: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Hi, I need Beta Reader to review first 6 chapters of a Family Saga/ Historical Fiction.