Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
This topic is about A Court of Wings and Ruin
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Maas, J Sarah-- A Court of Wings And Ruin informal buddy read starts July 2, 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31650 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas.

Synopsis
Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments I'll join in for this one. I have yet to read it, even though I've had the book since it came out *hides*

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm here. Not sure if I can wait until July :)
Dear Kathleen, did you really had to go and fully booked yourself with June BR-s :P

Ok, ok ... I'll practice patience :)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Skandia wrote: "I'm here. Not sure if I can wait until July :)
Dear Kathleen, did you really had to go and fully booked yourself with June BR-s :P

Ok, ok ... I'll practice patience :)"

Sorry! I hope you can wait for a month for me :)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Sure I can!
Out of curiosity, what do you read in June?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Well, there's Way of Kings, Jellicoe Road, Ready Player One, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and some others ;)

Pick one and join!

message 9: by Themis (new)

Themis Drakontis | 12 comments I'm in.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm starting reading! Not sure what to expect. I hope it's not only war and blood.

message 11: by Breiana (new) - added it

Breiana (bree200505) Just started reading it, really excited, hoping it wont be too much of a slow read this time

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Skandia, I'm sorry to be sooooo late but I'm finally reading it! Hope you crop by and let's talk about if we're still sort of dislike our fair Feyre.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Hi, Kathleen!
I have been busy, so no reading done so far. I'll pick it up now with you. I'm skeptical about Feyre's ability to redeem herself but we'll see.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments So, thoughts so far...

Feyre seems to have finally grown some spine and got herself some nifty brain cells in the process ;) Current character fixation is Jurian, maybe he won't be the 100% bad guy and would be pulled over to our MC's side and fight against Hybern. Maybe there's hope for Lucien, and Tamlin still sounds like a ninny.

Coming from a Sanderson book (way of Kings) this pretty much feels like an easy read lol.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments She's still so dramatic though. Scheming and dramatic lol

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Kathleen wrote: "So, thoughts so far...

Feyre seems to have finally grown some spine and got herself some nifty brain cells in the process ;) Current character fixation is Jurian, maybe he won't be the 100% bad gu..."

I agree, Jurian actually might turn out as a good guy.
Feyre - still don't like her. Especially how she is using Lucien and pretending being friends with him.
So far with all parts of this series what comes to character development - Tamlin really frustrates me. I don't understand author twisting his character from totally honorable and lovable to WTF idiot. This fast turnaround kind of bugs me and is poorly executed.

Also, it's kind of annoying how conveniently all kinds of magic erasing and binding stuff appears. Where was it before? It's a third book already and no one thought to use it before when needed? It's just weird.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm sooooo intimidated by the length of The Way of Kings and it being too similar to Game of Thrones, which was good but so overwhelming.

Did you like it?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I think it's safe to say I won't ever like Feyre *sigh* Im happy that she's not all damsel in distress now but gah she still irritates me. I think though it's how her pov was written, she sounds so dramatic with every thought or word or action she makes.

I agree with you on that 360 regarding Tamlin's character. It was poorly executed.

Currently annoyed with the ff: Nesta, Lucien's "mate" situation, Cassien being infatuated with Nesta and Feyre. Oh, and I wish the author didn't overuse the word mate. The word appears like once every page 🙄🙄🙄

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Im a Sanderson fan so...

It's slower compared to his other books and as this is the 1st book of 10, it sort of sets up the whole series.

Have you read The Emperor's Soul by Sanderson?

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Kathleen wrote: ".Oh, and I wish the author didn't overuse the word mate. The word appears like once every page.."

More like five to ten times. Feels like I'm in a bar in Australia ... mates everywhere :)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Kathleen wrote: "Im a Sanderson fan so...

It's slower compared to his other books and as this is the 1st book of 10, it sort of sets up the whole series.

Have you read The Emperor's Soul by Sanderson?"

I sadly confess that I have not read any Sanderson books yet.
I have a copy of Steelheart waiting to read.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Hahaha and Maas is not Australian? Yes? lol.

Hmmm, we have a Steelheart BR, right? Steelheart is a toned down version of his usual fantasy books I think? They say it's good but not as his usual fantasy books. Read The Emperor's Soul. It's only about a hundred pages so it's a quick one. It's one of my favorites.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm at chapter 25. The pace of the story is quite slow. I need something to happen already.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Just another observation. What is it with author constantly making her characters to reply to some remark during dialogues with vulgar gestures towards another character. Usually female characters doing it. Does she really think it's cool?
I actually hate it. Never seen this used to such an extent before. And no, I'm not a prude person and I don't read only Christian Fiction (actually can't stand it) but yeah, this really distracts me.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments What chapter are you at now? I'll be done by today but yes it was sooo slow. Things starter happening at around the 70% mark.

Ha! I don't remember Mor doing a lot of the gesture in the previous book, but now she does. Also, I didn't realize YA to be this uhm graphic now?

Actually, I can now concretely say I don't like this author's writing style.

Are you done with Throne of Glass? We still have ToG to read lol. After that, I won't be touching her books for a long while. I'll wait for someone to say her writing style has changed haha!

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm at chapter 50.
Will finish tomorrow I think.
I'm not a fan of S.J.Maas writing either. Just don't get the hype at all. I do like the world she has created but so many plot holes and questionable changes in events. I don't know, I probably prefer Laini Taylor and V.E.Schwab fantasy books over this series.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I agree. I couldn't help but think of "could have beens" I mean with this material and given to a writer who's writing style I preferred, it would have been glorious. I definitely prefer Laini Taylor and VE Schwab (which reminds me I have a Schwab BR I need to go to ASAP).

When you get to around chapter 71 (view spoiler)

I could go on but really, I'm just glad it's over. Haha

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments So, we are not going to read A Court of Frost and Starlight? :) :)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I am not reading any more of this series lol. And I don't like Nesta. Even Elain, I barely tolerated lol. I'm reading ToG. You planning on reading it still?

I loved Amren and the Bone Carver and Azriel. Maybe Cassian, sometimes?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments *im on the app so i cant link*

Read The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments You do realize I'm going to keep rcommending it til you actually read it, right?

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Kathleen wrote: "You do realize I'm going to keep rcommending it til you actually read it, right?"

Right :D

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Yep, I'll take on ToG next. Tomorrow.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'll wait for you in the ToG thread 😆

Seriously, read Emperor's Soul like maybe next month? lol

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Finished.
Probably weakest book in this series. Too long too.
As I have said before - love the world building but so many "convenient" plot holes when things just happen out of the blue without any preliminary story behind. Made me cringe many times.