The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Genre Challenge 2018 > June - Travel or Survival or Adventure

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4047 comments Mod
I hope everyone has fun with this topic.

message 2: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I am starting Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson which is a travelogue on Bill Bryson's time in England. We are planning to travel in England in July, and the timing is perfect.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

That is perfect timing. And Bill Bryson is funny. A Walk in the Woods made me laugh out loud.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments So many possibilities for this topic!

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Must I choose a non-fiction title for June's selection of genres, Rosemarie? I rather fancied reading Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss, which involves a teenager living in a remote Northumberland camp as an exercise in experimental archaeology. It is, however, fictional. What do you think? Many thanks. 🤔

message 6: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

We can use any genre, fiction, non-fiction, epic poetry like the Odyssey, etc.
Books like Around the World in 80 Days and most of the novels of Jules Verne would fit this category.
I will most likely read an adventure novel.

message 7: by Trisha (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I’m starting with Little Exiles by Robert Dinsdale. It’s fiction, but based on the history of children sent from Britain to Australia after World War 2. I suspect it will be sad.

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments Ooh, yes! Around the World in 80 Days would be good. Many thanks, Rosemarie. 😊

message 9: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

You're welcome, Paula. It's a fun read. I hope you enjoy it.

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I finished reading Little Exiles. Not quite as good as I hoped from this author, but an amazing story which was unbearably sad.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments Well, I've started off reading a few that should fit into this category: A Wrinkle in Time - a childhood classic that I'd somehow never gotten around to reading, thought I'd read it before it came out on video; and Heart of Darkness - another classic I'd not read involving a trip into Africa.

I'm also reading another that should fit into this genre as well. This should be a fun month!

message 12: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

That's great, Cindy. Those are two good books to start with.

message 13: by Ann☕ (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) For Travel/Survival/Adventure, I am going to try
The Wind in the Willows or News of the World. I have the audio versions of both, so I'd like to see which story grabs me in the opening chapters.

Since I am new here, I'm beginning this challenge mid-season. :-)

message 14: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Welcome on board, Ann. Good to have you with us.

message 15: by Ann☕ (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) Thank you, Rosemarie. I was happy to find this type of genre challenge here.

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments Alright, I've ended up reading:

The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story and The Great Alone which were both reads that I've been meaning to pick up this year for awhile.

message 17: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Those sound like interesting books, Tracey.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 174 comments I read On The Island by Tracey Garvis Graves. A story of a 30 year old teacher and her 16 year old male student who are in a plane crash and find their way to a deserted island.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Did you like the book, Kathy?

message 20: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 138 comments I read Rethinking Life on the Appalachian Trail: The 2008 Thru-hike of "Rethinker".Maybe not captivating, but quite an enjoyable read.

message 21: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am glad you enjoyed it, Glennis.

I have started reading King Solomon's Mines, a classic adventure story.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

So far there has been very little adventure but way too many hunting scenes in King Solomon's Mines. I sure hope it gets better!

message 23: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments So far this month I've finished:
A Wrinkle in Time - a childhood classic that I'd somehow never gotten around to reading
Heart of Darkness - another classic I'd not read involving a trip into Africa
Lara - a romantic novel set on the world of Hetar, this one involved the heroine being sold and taken from her home into various parts of the world

message 24: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

You have a great month so far, Cindy.

message 25: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

The book has gotten much better now that they have reached the mountains that are supposed to show the way to the treasure, and it is turning into a survival story as well.

message 26: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I finished reading The Travelling Cat Chronicles, set in Japan. Although I love animals, especially cats, I don’t always enjoy reading books about them. But this was wonderful, one of the best books I’ve read recently. It was beautifully written & translated. If you like cats, do try this book.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I enjoy books about cats and other animals. This one sounds cute. I generally end up crying at least once while reading animal books, whether for joy or sadness. How is this book in that respect, Trisha?

message 28: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I finished King Solomon's Mines. It got much better as the book progressed, once they were searching for the mines.

message 29: by Trisha (last edited Jun 16, 2018 03:10PM) (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I enjoy books about cats and other animals. This one sounds cute. I generally end up crying at least once while reading animal books, whether for joy or sadness. How is this book in that respect, T..."

I think you would love this book, Rosemarie. I laughed at some parts of it, & cried at others. It’s a very clever book. One aspect of the story is revealed gradually - but it’s hinted at in some of the descriptions of the book, so I suspected part of what might happen. If you don’t want to know, I suggest that you ignore any descriptions & just start reading the book. I hope you enjoy it.

message 30: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I will see if the public library has a copy. Thanks, Trisha.

message 31: by Inese (new)

Inese | 3 comments As I'm more non-fiction loving person so for this month I'm reading Into the Wild (printed book) and Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life (audio book). So far enjoying both of them for different reasons. Are there other books with similar vibe?

message 32: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I have just read The Last Runaway. It’s historical fiction, telling the story of a young Quaker woman who travelled from Dorset, UK to Ohio, USA in the 19th century. It also tells a fascinating story of the Underground Railroad helping runaway slaves. The book included some historical facts after the end of the story & these were interesting to read too. I loved this book - though people who know American history better than me may not enjoy it as much as I did.

message 33: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments Month's reads for this genre:
A Wrinkle in Time - a childhood classic that I'd somehow never gotten around to reading
Heart of Darkness - another classic I'd not read involving a trip into Africa
Lara - a romantic novel set on the world of Hetar, this one involved the heroine being sold and taken from her home into various parts of the world
Sail - a thriller from James Patterson about a family setting off on a sailing vacation that takes several wrong turns

message 34: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

So far we have had an amazing variety of books, and we still have 12 days left in June.
Great reading, everyone.

message 35: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I have started reading A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush. It's quite enjoyable.

message 36: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I read that one a long time ago, Sonia. I think Eric Newby is an engaging writer.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 48 comments I read Eat, Pray, Love for the travel book. Had this on my shelf for ages and eventually got around to reading it on my holidays. I enjoyed some of the travel aspects but not sure it was really my thing. The writer seemed a bit self absorbed and unaware for my taste.

message 38: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

One of my friends read this book when it was first published, and she had the same opinion of the book as you do.

message 39: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I’ve read The Eye of the Reindeer - Eva Weaver, set in Finland & Sweden. It’s fiction but gives some interesting insights into the lives of Sami people as the story develops.

message 40: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I fininshed A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush last night. It was fascinating and hilarious.

message 41: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I read Newby's Round Ireland in Low Gear and had a real admiration for his wife. The things she had to put up with(terrible weather with lots of rain at times)- but it was funny.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments Finished Dear Bob and Sue - about a couple on a mission to visit all the national parks

message 43: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

That sounds like quite an ambitious, but fun, plan.

message 44: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments Rosemarie wrote: "That sounds like quite an ambitious, but fun, plan."

I'd love to be able to do this - I am slowly working my way through a bunch of the ones that I've wanted to see: Glacier, Crater Lake, Mt Rainier.

I'm hoping to see these in the near future (next 3-5 yrs): Yosemite, the Utah parks (Zion, Arches, etc), Acadia, Grand Canyon

All it takes is time and money....lol

message 45: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 946 comments My final book (mostly read in June) for this category was Honor Thyself - a Danielle Steel book where an actress journeys back to Paris and loses her memory in a bombing. So it is not only a physical journey, but also a journey of healing. (FYI see my review - while it fit the category, this was not my favorite Steel book for many reasons...)

message 46: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I finally finished Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. An interesting travelogue from the nineties before the days of smartphones and constant connectivity :)

message 47: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Thanks to all our members for participating. I hope you all enjoyed your travels and adventures and survived to tell the tale.

message 48: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 138 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I finished King Solomon's Mines. It got much better as the book progressed, once they were searching for the mines."
I'm glad you were able to tough it out with good results!

message 49: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Thanks. I am so glad the ending was much better than the beginning.