Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > 10.2 July

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6269 comments July is National Black Family Month. Read any book written by one of these African American authors.

Please post any questions or suggestions in this thread.

message 2: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Can we ask to have qualified authors added to this list?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rebekah wrote: "Can we ask to have qualified authors added to this list?"

"This is a list of African-American authors and writers, all of whom are considered part of African-American literature, and who already have Wikipedia articles. The list also includes non-American authors and writers of African descent."

Emphasis added. I can add to the list - and will be glad to do so - if the author already has a page.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2600 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Can we ask to have qualified authors added to this list?"

"This is a list of African-American authors and writers, all of whom are considered part of African-American literature, a..."

Thanks for this q + a - I was wondering the same. In case get to this book (or someone else would like to read it) could you please add: Yaa Gyasi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaa_Gyasi

Thanks!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Added her!

message 6: by Karen Michele (last edited Jun 04, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Could you also add Jason Reynolds?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_R..."

Done!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Could you please add Bernice L. McFadden to our list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernice..."

Done.

message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Could Brit Bennett be added to the list?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rebekah wrote: "Could Brit Bennett be added to the list?"

done

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments The wikipedia description of the article's contents includes:

"The list also includes non-American authors and writers of African descent." [Emphasis added]

As per above, I can add authors to the list if/when they have wikipedia articles that allow me to do so.

message 13: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 26, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

Rosemary | 3126 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The wikipedia description of the article's contents includes:

"The list also includes non-American authors and writers of African descent." [Emphasis added]

As per above, I can add authors to the..."

But surely that's for writers living in America, at least? For example, they have "Nalo Hopkinson (born 1960) Jamaican Canadian, currently based in California" on the list.

I don't think the USA can claim every African person for "African-American".

There's also a link to an article on "Who is African American" that wouldn't include all Africans.

ETA: Of course you can approve whomever you like for the task, and I'm happy if Bessie Head is approved since I hope to read her too, it's changing the focus of the Wikipedia list from African-American writers that I'm questioning.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments I didn't add the part about non-Americans in the description of the list. That was there from the beginning.

message 15: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 26, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4488 comments Ok now I see why You gave me credit for Bessie Head! I thought she had to be American also!

Thanks! So now I’m gleefully adding 5 points to three of my posts!

message 16: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3126 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I didn't add the part about non-Americans in the description of the list. That was there from the beginning."

Thanks, I'll ask the question on Wikipedia.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12800 comments Rosemary wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I didn't add the part about non-Americans in the description of the list. That was there from the beginning."

Thanks, I'll ask the question on Wikipedia."

I've thought about it more, and I think you are right that she doesn't belong on that list. We will allow her to work for this task, but I'll remove her from the wiki list.