Play Book Tag discussion

I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister
This topic is about I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister
May 2018: Family Drama > I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister/ Amélie Sarn - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This is the story of two very different sisters, Sohane and Djelila; they are Muslims living in the projects just outside of Paris. Sohane is the older sister who is quite devote and decides to go against the newly enacted French law that forbids wearing anything "religious" to school. Djelila is only a year younger, but she wants to have the life of a typical French teenager which includes tight jeans, playing basketball, hanging out with non-Muslim friends and drinking. This puts the sisters at odds but also gets the notice of some teenage Muslim boys which lead to some tragic circumstances.

This was another find by just looking through library shelves. The book is told from the perspective of Sohane and skips around in time. The author's note indicates that it was actually based on a true story. This was also a pretty short novel but it covered a lot of ground including woman's rights and religious freedom. The two sisters were both well-rounded characters and even though the tragic events were revealed early in the story, the story of their relationship continued to develop. This is a french translated work so I'm not sure that it has much visibility here in the states, but I would highly recommend it.

message 2: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Are their parents devout? Do they have much of a role in the story?

Interesting that neither considers a middle-ground, for example neither tight jeans nor the head scarf. Did you find their choices believable?

It sounds like an interesting read; I'm trying to decide how hard to look for it.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments The parents have a minor role in the story. They are not especially devout, but they are practicing Muslims. The parents aren’t dogmatic as they know they are not living in a muslim country. I would say some of it is family tradition vs religious dogma (best example that I can think of is I know many people who give up something or eat fish on Fridays during lent that are not very religious).

The story is more about the relationship between the two sisters though. It is a pretty short book, so it is pretty focused on the specific events related to the two sisters.

message 4: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Thanks!