2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > August: Great Empires

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3964 comments AUGUST: GREAT EMPIRES
Duration: August 1 - 30, 2014

Our theme for the month is empires, so this challenge is about a few of the greatest ones.

1. The Ottoman Empire (1299 – 1923) was a multinational/ multilingual empire and was also known as the Turkish Empire. Read a book that was originally written in a language other than your own OR read a book that contains at least one Muslim character.

2. The Persian Empire (Achaemenid Empire) (550 – 330 BC) was known for its architectural stonework on buildings such as mausoleums and for its metalwork. Read a book that takes place (at least in part) in a cemetery OR read a book that has a metal in the title (for example: The Adventures of Tintin, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Silver Star, etc.)

3. The Byzantine Empire (330 – 1204 & 1261 – 1453) had its capital in Constantinople (aka Istanbul, aka Byzantium) and fell once but was temporarily revived. Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name (for example: Bombay/Mumbai, Canton/Guangzhou, Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, St. Petersburg/Petrograd, New York/ New Amsterdam) OR read a book where something that is broken is put back together.

4. The Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD) was known for its economic prosperity with the emperor at its head. Read a book that is focused on money OR read a book with a character named “Han/Hans.”

5. It was said that the sun never set on the British Empire (1497 – 1997). Read a book where most of the plot takes place after sunset OR read a book that is set in several countries around the world.

6. The Russian Empire was officially founded by Peter the Great who brought European ideas to Russia. Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.

7. The Roman Empire (Western: 27 BC – 476 AD; Eastern: 330 AD – 1453 AD) borrowed from Greek mythology and was well known for its fighting in the Colosseum. Read a book about mythology OR read a book that includes a physical fight.

8. The Holy Roman Empire (off and on 800 – 1806) was an attempt to revive the Western Roman Empire and spent most of its existence very fragmented. Read a book that features something dysfunctional OR read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should.

9. The Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368) was the largest land empire (that covered only joining land) spanning from China to Europe and fell because Genghis Khan’s grandchildren kept fighting over leadership. Read a large book (more than 500 pages) OR read a book that contains siblings fighting.

-----

Jennifer is both the creator and the leader of this challenge. Thank you, Jennifer!

message 2: by ChrisP (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments Too many great challenges going on at once!!! Put me down for 2

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikarae) | 708 comments I'm going to sign up for 3 for now but might be able to up this number later!

message 4: by Megan BG (last edited Sep 14, 2014 06:29PM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments Put me down for 5.

2. Persian - Read a book that takes place (at least in part) in a cemetery OR read a book that has a metal in the title.
Silver Girl - finished 8/13

3. Byzantine - Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name OR read a book where something that is broken is put back together.
The Vacationers - finished 8/7

6. Russian - Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.
Dark Places - finished 8/4

8. Holy Roman - Read a book that features something dysfunctional OR read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should.
Sarah's Key - finished 8/11
(dysfunctional - the Holocaust, the story of the key, the keeping of family secrets / holding on - her marriage, family secrets)

9. Mongol - Read a large book (more than 500 pages) OR read a book that contains siblings fighting.
A Game of Thrones - finished 9/14

Completed: 5/5

message 5: by LynnB (last edited Aug 16, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

LynnB I'll go with 4 and see if I can get that done.

5. British Empire - Read a book that is set in several countries around the world. A Sense of the World: How a Blind Man Became History's Greatest Traveler (extensive travels in the early 1800's), read 16 Aug.

6. The Russian Empire - Read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life. Dear John (unhappy with his life), read 14 Aug.

8. The Holy Roman Empire - Read a book that features something dysfunctional. Remains of Innocence (dysfunctional family), read 13 Aug.

9. The Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368) - Read a large book (more than 500 pages) OR read a book that contains siblings fighting. Written in My Own Heart's Blood (over 500 pp. AND siblings fighting), read 10 Aug.

Completed 4/4

message 6: by Merja (last edited Aug 31, 2014 02:04AM) (new)

Merja (merjafrob) | 488 comments Sign me up for 3!

1. The Ottoman Empire (1299 – 1923) was a multinational/ multilingual empire and was also known as the Turkish Empire. Read a book that was originally written in a language other than your own OR read a book that contains at least one Muslim character.
Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) by Terry Pratchett

3. The Byzantine Empire (330 – 1204 & 1261 – 1453) had its capital in Constantinople (aka Istanbul, aka Byzantium) and fell once but was temporarily revived. Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name OR read a book where something that is broken is put back together.
Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

9. The Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368) was the largest land empire (that covered only joining land) spanning from China to Europe and fell because Genghis Khan’s grandchildren kept fighting over leadership. Read a large book (more than 500 pages) OR read a book that contains siblings fighting.
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth

3/3 completed

message 7: by Lynn (last edited Aug 24, 2014 09:06AM) (new)

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments I'd like to try for 6.
-----

GREAT EMPIRES CHALLENGE
Duration: August 1 - 30, 2014 -- Current Status: 8/6
CHALLENGE COMPLETED 08/17/14

1. Ottoman Empire - Read a book that contains at least one Muslim character. -- Zeitoun......Finished 08/17/14

2. Persian Empire - Read a book that has a metal in the title. (Gold) -- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics......Finished 08/22/14

3. Byzantine Empire - Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name. (Tokyo / Edo) -- Grotesque......Finished 08/14/14

5. British Empire - Read a book that is set in several countries around the world. (Britain, France, Hungary, U.S., Holland) -- Shadow of Night......Finished 08/12/14

6. Russian Empire - Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture. (Russia -> U.S.) -- Bread Givers......Finished 08/24/14

7. Roman Empire - Read a book that includes a physical fight. -- Red Harvest ......Finished 08/07/14

8. Holy Roman Empire - Read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should. (Failing farm/B&B) -- Our Picnics in the Sun.....Finished 08/02/14

9. Mongol Empire - Read a large book (more than 500 pages). (940 pages) -- Winter of the World.....Finished 08/06/14

-----

Edited: 08/24/14.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2014 12:41AM) (new)

Put me down for 9 please

1. Read a book that was originally written in a language other than your own OR read a book that contains at least one Muslim character.
Through a Glass, Darkly (Originally written in Norwegian)

2.Read a book that takes place (at least in part) in a cemetery OR read a book that has a metal in the title
Fludd (Main character works for a time as a gravedigger)

3. Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name OR read a book where something that is broken is put back together.
Impulse (Characters must put their broken lives back together)

4.Read a book that is focused on money OR read a book with a character named “Han/Hans.”
The Maltese Falcon (Treasure) (04 August)

5. Read a book where most of the plot takes place after sunset OR read a book that is set in several countries around the world.
The Paris Wife (Set in North America and France)

6. Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.
Reaching for Sun (Main character is born with a disability)

7. Read a book about mythology OR read a book that includes a physical fight.
My Name Is Rapunzel (02 August)

8. Read a book that features something dysfunctional OR read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should.
The Last Chronicle of Barset (Main character is dysfunctional)

9. Read a large book (more than 500 pages) OR read a book that contains siblings fighting.
Gone with the Wind (928 pages) (13 August)

3/9 Complete

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Mongillo | 296 comments I'll try for 2.

What an interesting theme :)

message 10: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Aug 28, 2014 08:40PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6296 comments I'll join in for three:)

2. Cemetery - The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins - completed

5. Several countries - An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon - completed

6. Unhappy life - Invisible by James Patterson - completed

7. Physical fight - Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon - completed

8. Hanging onto something longer than necessary - The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber - completed

9. Book longer than 500 pages (992 to be exact) - A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon - completed

6/3 - challenge completed!

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 03, 2014 10:52AM) (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 254 comments AUGUST CHALLENGE: GREAT EMPIRES
Duration: 1 August 2014 – 31 August 2014

Explorers and Progress

Queen Alessia: 5/5 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Byzantine, Han, Russian, and Holy Roman Completed August 28th!!✔
Queen Angelique: 3/3 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Russian, and Mongolian Completed August 30th!!✔
Queen Brianna: 3/3 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Russian, and Roman Completed August 22nd!!✔
Queen Carrie: 2/2 Conquered empires: Roman and Holy Roman, Mongolian Completed August 25th!!✔
Emperor Chris: 4/2 Conquered empires: Han, Russian, Roman, and Holy Roman Completed August 11th!!✔
Emperor Danielle: 3/2 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Byzantine, and Brit Completed August 30th!!✔✔
Queen Daphne: 3/3 Conquered empires: Brit, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 21st!!✔
Knight Emily: 3/9 Conquered empires: Han, Roman, and Mongolian
Queen Erika: 3/3 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Russian, and Holy Roman Completed August 9th!!✔
Squire Elsbeth: 0/?
Viscount Jacqueline: 1/5 Conquered empires: Mongolian
Queen Janet: 5/5 Conquered empires: Brit, Russian, Roman, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 28th!!✔
Squire Jennifer: 0/9
Marquess Jill: 1/3 Conquered empires: Romans
Emperor Kelsi: 6/3 Conquered empires: Han, Brit, Russian, Roman, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 11th!!✔✔✔✔
Queen LynnB: 4/4 Conquered empires: Brit, Russian, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 16th!!✔
Emperor Lynn (message 7) 8/6 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Persian, Byzantine, Brit, Russian, Roman, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 17th!!✔✔✔
Duchess Megan (message 4): 4/5 Conquered empires: Persian, Byzantine, Russian, and Holy Roman
Emperor Megan (message 11): 6/3 Conquered empires: Persian, Brit, Russian, Roman, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 12th!!✔✔✔✔
Emperor Meimei: 6/5 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Byzantine, Brit, Russian, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 31st !!✔✔
Queen Merja: 3/3 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Byzantine, and Mongolian Completed August 31st!!✔
Marquess Sharon: 5/5 Conquered empires: British, Russian, Roman, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 31st!!✔
Squire SilverRaindrops: 0/3
Queen Tasha: 2/2 Conquered empires: Ottoman, and Roman Completed August 10th!!✔
Emperor Theresa~OctoberLace: 9/3 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Persian, Byzantine, Han, Brit, Russian, Roman, Holy Roman, and Mongolian Completed August 3rd!!✔✔✔✔✔✔✔
Emperor Tricia: 3/2 Conquered empires: Ottoman, Russian, and Mongolian completed Completed August 4th!!✔✔

Total Books: 87
Total Explorers: 25

Thank you for signing up to head into the unknown and conquer books with me. I will record the list of adventurers and your progress in this post.

This is the second challenge I am moderating, and I think I would like to do something similar to what I have done with my first one. Periodically, I will list how many books you have conquered for the listed empires. For example, if 3 people read a book that fits the first description, that will count as 3 conquered books for the Ottoman Empire. The empire that has conquered the most books wins at the end of the month.

There are 31 days left in this challenge - Go forth and conquer!

message 12: by Tasha☺ (last edited Aug 10, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments I will join for 2 2/2 COMPLETED

AUGUST: GREAT EMPIRES

Our theme for the month is empires, so this challenge is about a few of the greatest ones.

wrote in German Ruby RedAug 4,14

2. The Persian Empire (Achaemenid Empire) (550 – 330 BC) was known for its architectural stonework on buildings such as mausoleums and for its metalwork. Read a book that takes place (at least in part) in a cemetery OR read a book that has a metal in the title (for example: The Adventures of Tintin, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Silver Star, etc.)

3. The Byzantine Empire (330 – 1204 & 1261 – 1453) had its capital in Constantinople (aka Istanbul, aka Byzantium) and fell once but was temporarily revived. Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name (for example: Bombay/Mumbai, Canton/Guangzhou, Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, St. Petersburg/Petrograd, New York/ New Amsterdam) OR read a book where something that is broken is put back together.

4. The Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD) was known for its economic prosperity with the emperor at its head. Read a book that is focused on money OR read a book with a character named “Han/Hans.”

5. It was said that the sun never set on the British Empire (1497 – 1997). Read a book where most of the plot takes place after sunset OR read a book that is set in several countries around the world.

6. The Russian Empire was officially founded by Peter the Great who brought European ideas to Russia. Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.

7. The Roman Empire (Western: 27 BC – 476 AD; Eastern: 330 AD – 1453 AD) borrowed from Greek mythology and was well known for its fighting in the Colosseum. Read a book about mythology OR read a book that includes a physical fight.

a physical fight. The Immortal Rules Aug 10,14

8. The Holy Roman Empire (off and on 800 – 1806) was an attempt to revive the Western Roman Empire and spent most of its existence very fragmented. Read a book that features something dysfunctional OR read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 468 comments Like your challenge, Jennifer. I try to do two.

message 14: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments Sounds great! I'm in, but I'm not sure as to how many, yet.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments Great challenge! I'll start with 3.

message 16: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6296 comments Just completed #2 (cemetery) - The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins. Good second book in the series. I love Higgins' writing and her comedic scenes. Definitely worth reading. 4 stars

1/3

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I'm currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, set in London. Will that work for #3. The Byzantine Empire: Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name? Since it was founded, London has been known as Caer Troia, Caer Ludein, Londinium, Lundenburgh, and finally London.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_...

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Finished my first book for the challenge -- Our Picnics in the Sun by Morag Joss. This fits challenge #8 Holy Roman Empire. It's the dark story of a naive couple who try for 30 years to live in harmony with nature on an unproductive farm bordering Exmoor.

I'm 1/6 for the challenge and my updated list is at ✤ Message 7

message 19: by Janet (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:02AM) (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments I will try for 5 in this challenge.
Finished my first. 1/5
Heart of Darknessby Joseph Conrad is set in England, Belgium and The Congo.
It certainly fits this month's theme as it is a harsh critique of the imperialism that was creating empires in the 19th century.

message 20: by Alessia (last edited Aug 28, 2014 12:55AM) (new)

Alessia (allieonthemoon) | 157 comments Another great challenge! I'm going to try for 5, I don't think I'm going to be able to read more than 5 books a month anyway.

1. The Ottoman Empire (1299 – 1923) was a multinational/ multilingual empire and was also known as the Turkish Empire. Read a book that was originally written in a language other than your own OR read a book that contains at least one Muslim character. - Reading Lolita in Tehran - Read 08/08 - It fits both criteria (it was written in a language other than my own - I'm a native italian speaker - and contains Muslim characters.

3. The Byzantine Empire (330 – 1204 & 1261 – 1453) had its capital in Constantinople (aka Istanbul, aka Byzantium) and fell once but was temporarily revived. Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name. - Sharon And My Mother In Law Read 26/08 It takes place (at least in parts) in Al-Quds, also known as Jerusalem

4. The Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD) was known for its economic prosperity with the emperor at its head. Read a book that is focused on money - A Room of One's Own Read 23/08 - More than half of the book is focussed on the importance of economic independence for women.

6. The Russian Empire was officially founded by Peter the Great who brought European ideas to Russia. Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture - Fly Away, Pigeon Read 14/08/2014 - The main character moves from a small region in Serbia to Switzerland as a small child with her parents, so she has to live in a new country and deal with a different culture.

8. The Holy Roman Empire (off and on 800 – 1806) was an attempt to revive the Western Roman Empire and spent most of its existence very fragmented. Read a book that features something dysfunctional OR read a book where characters try hold on to something longer than they should. - The Beginner's Goodbye - Read 27/08 The main character has to deal with the loss of his wife and can't let her go.

5/5

@Jennifer I love the way you're going to track our progress! It'll be like a Risk! match ^_^

@Janet: I'm going to read Heart of Darkness too this month. Always wanted to. Did you enjoy it?

message 21: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments I read Heart of Darkness last month! It was required reading in high school that I never read. It was OK.

message 22: by ChrisP (last edited Aug 02, 2014 05:23PM) (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments 6. The Russian Empire was officially founded by Peter the Great who brought European ideas to Russia. Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams
The Russian civilization was conquered byThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy**** A human named Arthur met a number of different alien cultures and was in culture shock through out the book and there was an unhappy robot named Marvin who was really depressing.

1/2 done. It is to much fun to conquer empires I may not stop at two.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I finished my #1, Neverwhere by Neverwhere, set in London.

#3. The Byzantine Empire: Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name. Since it was founded, London has been known as Caer Troia, Caer Ludein, Londinium, Lundenburgh, and finally London.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 03, 2014 03:32AM) (new)

I finished my first book for this challenge, My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton.

#7 Read a book about mythology

1/9 complete

message 25: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Mongillo | 296 comments I finished my first book for this challenge :)

#7 - Read a book that contains a physical fight. Cloudland by Joseph Olshan

1/2

message 26: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments Jacqueline wrote: "I will sign up for 5

6.Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.

Dark Places
by Gillian Fly..."

I just finished Dark Places!

message 27: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 132 comments I'm in for 2 :)

1. The Ottoman Empire
Death in the Clouds (Hercule Poirot, #12) by Agatha Christie

2. The Persian Empire (Achaemenid Empire)

3. The Byzantine Empire

4. The Han Dynasty

5. British Empire

6. The Russian Empire
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

7. The Roman Empire

8. The Holy Roman Empire

9. The Mongol Empire
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

message 28: by Tasha☺ (last edited Aug 04, 2014 05:12PM) (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments 1. The Ottoman Empire (1299 – 1923) was a multinational/ multilingual empire and was also known as the Turkish Empire. Read a book that was originally written in a language other than your own OR read a book that contains at least one Muslim character.

wrote in German Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier Aug 4,14

message 29: by Theresa~OctoberLace (last edited Aug 29, 2014 10:13PM) (new)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments I signed up for 3 but have kept going, and I've now finished all 9 tasks.

✔ 1. The Ottoman Empire: Read a book that was originally written in a language other than your own. The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust, originally written in French. 8/27/14

✔ 2. The Persian Empire: Read a book that takes place (at least in part) in a cemetery. The Professor by Charlotte Brontë 8/2/14 (view spoiler)

✔ 3. The Byzantine Empire: Read a book that takes place in a city that has at least one other name. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 8/2/24 Set in London, which had also been know as Caer Troia, Caer Ludein, Londinium, and Lundenburgh.

✔ 4. The Han Dynasty: Read a book that is focused on money. Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe 8/4/14 The desire for money led Moll Flanders to become a whore, marry several men, and become a major thief in London.

✔ 5. It was said that the sun never set on the British Empire: Read a book that is set in several countries around the world. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 8/9/14 This book takes place in England, Brazil, the Caribbean, Africa, Portugal, France, and elsewhere.

✔ 6. The Russian Empire: Read a book where at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture OR read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life. Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut 8/10/14 This book has both!

✔ 7. The Roman Empire: Read a book that includes a physical fight. Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje 8/3/14 This book has several fights including (view spoiler).

✔ 8. The Holy Roman Empire: Read a book that features something dysfunctional. A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut 8/3/14 This is a memoir by Vonnegut at age 82, and he finds so many things dysfunctional. For example, (view spoiler).

✔ 9. The Mongol Empire: Read a large book (more than 500 pages). Bleak House by Charles Dickens 8/16/14 This book has 1,017 pages.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished book 2 out of 9

✔ 4. The Han Dynasty: Read a book that is focused on money. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

message 31: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Hi,

Interesting challenge, thanks for hosting.
I'll try for 3 for now.

message 32: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 05, 2014 09:03AM) (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 254 comments Congratulations on finishing your first book, Carrie, Chris, Janet, Lynn (message 7), Megan (message 4), Megan (message 11) and Tasha! Congratulations on finishing your 1st and 2nd books, Emily!

Yes, Theresa~OctoberLace, I think London has been renamed enough to qualify for #3. :) Congratulations on exceeding your challenge already by reading 4 books! Venisti. Legisti. Vicisti. (You came. You read. You conquered.) [Adapted from (view spoiler)]

Here’s an obscure conquering quote to inspire all of you:
“Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” ― Bette Midler

There are 26 days left in this challenge - Go forth and conquer!

message 33: by Kelsi (last edited Aug 06, 2014 07:33AM) (new)

Kelsi | 334 comments I will sign up for three :)

Already completed one:

The Thirteenth Tale Completed August 2, 2014.

message 34: by Sovotchka (last edited Aug 06, 2014 10:35AM) (new)

Sovotchka | 559 comments I NEED TO READ! Put me down for three, but I'll try for more.

1. The Ottoman Empire (1299 – 1923)
- originally written in a language other than your own
- contains at least one Muslim character.

2. The Persian Empire (Achaemenid Empire) (550 – 330 BC)
- takes place (at least in part) in a cemetery
- n the title (for example: The Adventures of Tintin, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Silver Star, etc.)

3. The Byzantine Empire (330 – 1204 & 1261 – 1453)
- takes place in a city that has at least one other name (for example: Bombay/Mumbai, Canton/Guangzhou, Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City, St. Petersburg/Petrograd, New York/ New Amsterdam)
- something that is broken is put back together.

4. The Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD)
- focused on money
- character named “Han/Hans.”

5. British Empire (1497 – 1997)
- most of the plot takes place after sunset
- set in several countries around the world.

6. The Russian Empire
- at least one character is introduced to a foreign culture
- a character is unhappy with his or her life.

7. The Roman Empire (Western: 27 BC – 476 AD; Eastern: 330 AD – 1453 AD)
- mythology
- includes a physical fight.

8. The Holy Roman Empire (off and on 800 – 1806)
- features something dysfunctional
- characters try hold on to something longer than they should.

9. The Mongol Empire (1206 – 1368)
- large book (more than 500 pages)
- siblings fighting.

message 35: by Jill (last edited Aug 06, 2014 02:54AM) (new)

Jill (pandoricabooks) I'll try three:

1) read a book that was originally written in another language than your own = Cress by Marissa Meyer

5) read a book that is set in diffrent countries around the world = Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

✓ 7) read a book that contains a phisical fight = cinder by Marissa Meyer

message 36: by Merja (new)

Merja (merjafrob) | 488 comments Question about Byzantine Empire: Does famous nicknames of the city count? Like Chicago is known as Windy City or Los Angeles as City of Angels?

message 37: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Just conquered Winter of the World by Ken Follett for challenge #9 -- Mongol Empire. This was a 940 page book.....I did enjoy it, but it was a real accomplishment for me.

I'm 2/6 for the challenge and my updated list is at ✤ Message 7

message 38: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6296 comments Just finished #9 (book longer than 500 pages) - A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Love, love, love this series!!! The books are incredibly long but so worth it, particularly during difficult/stressful periods in life. Definitely worth reading! 4.5 stars

2/3

message 39: by Meimei (last edited Aug 31, 2014 06:08AM) (new)

Meimei | 101 comments I'll try 5 :)

6/5

1. The Ottoman Empire (1299 – 1923) - read a book originally written in a language other than yours.
-- Ella Enchanted ★★★★
3. The Byzantine Empire
-- Third Girl - London ★★★
5. British Empire
-- Murder on the Orient Express ★★★★
6. The Russian Empire - read a book where a character is unhappy with his or her life.
-- Coraline ★★★★
8. The Holy Roman Empire
-- Ready Player One ★★★★
9. The Mongol Empire
-- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ★★★★★

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #35) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express by François Rivière Coraline by Neil Gaiman Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling

message 40: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 07, 2014 06:51AM) (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 254 comments Sorry, Merja, nicknames, don’t count because they aren’t really a change. Generally, name changes come with conquest or some sort of political reason. Nicknames come from familiarity :). This wikipedia page, has a list of places that have changed names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_.... However, Chicago started out as Fort Dearborn, so that would count, and Los Angeles was originally “Poison Oak Place.”
Here are some more well-known ones: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 07, 2014 07:17AM) (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 254 comments ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Da da-da daaaaa ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Current Empire Conquests:
1. The Ottomans: 3
2. The Persians: 2
3. The Byzantines: 1
4. The Hans: 3
5. The Brits: 1
6. The Russians: 2
7. The Romans: 5
8. The Holy Roman: 4
9. The Mongolians: 2
Total Books “Conquered”: 23

So far, every empire conquered at least one book, yeah! But the Romans have the lead, so...

Here are a few words from Caesar:
“If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.”
Julius Caesar

I’ve added you to the archives, Kelsi, Jill, Meimei, and SilverRaindrops. Thanks for signing on to be adventurers!

Congratulations on making your first conquests, Kelsi and Jill!

Congratulations on conquering your 2nd book, Lynn (message 7)! Long books are definitely challenging, but I always feel such a sense of accomplishment when they are finished. :)

And congratulations on conquering your 2nd book, too, Megan! I think Diana Gabaldon is an excellent writer, but I never really got into the Outlander series. (I am a one man woman, and I couldn't suspend my beliefs.)

Please look at message 12 and make sure I have updated you correctly to date. If your numbers and mine don’t match, just let me know.

Here’s an obscure conquering quote to inspire you:
“Love conquers all," Aphrodite promised. "Look at Helen and Paris. Did they let anything come between them?"
"Didn't they start the Trojan War and get thousands of people killed?"
"Pfft. That's not the point. Follow your heart.”
Rick Riordan, The Titan's Curse

There are 24 days left in this challenge - Go forth and conquer!

message 42: by Merja (new)

Merja (merjafrob) | 488 comments Thanks for the answer! How I did not notice Chicago's name change in Wikipedia article.. Must have been blind! :D

But! I've conquered Ottoman Empire!

Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) by Terry Pratchett

My native language is Finnish, so English is other than my own.

1/3 done

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (blacjak) | 254 comments Well, you had to do some deep reading to discover that it was originally Fort Dearborn.

Congratulations on conquering your first book, Merja! I see you updated on the Hunger Games challenge, too, so I will head over there next. :)

message 44: by Meimei (new)

Meimei | 101 comments I read Ella Enchanted for #1 and Coraline for #6. Both were wonderful books :)
Update of msg 40, 2/5.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine Coraline by Neil Gaiman

message 45: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments Just finished Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett for challenge #7 -- Roman Empire:  Read book that includes a physical fight.  This book is supposed to have inspired the hard-boiled detective genre (published in 1929).  There was a prize fight, many fist fights, a knife fight, an ice pick murder, several huge shootouts, pipe bombs, dynamite used in a jail break and the detective even kicked a dog at one point.  I'm sure a missed more than a few, but the physical violence was combined with blackmail, corruption, massive quantities of alcohol, bootlegging and some serious wisecracking.  Not to be missed ;-)

I'm 3/6 for the challenge and my updated list is at ✤ Message 7

message 46: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments 2 done! I'll probably get more than 5 since there is only one challenge this month, but A Game of Thrones is so long, so I don't know...

message 47: by Merja (new)

Merja (merjafrob) | 488 comments Megan wrote: "2 done! I'll probably get more than 5 since there is only one challenge this month, but A Game of Thrones is so long, so I don't know..."

Yeah, GoT is long! It took me two weeks to read it last winter. Now reading A Clash of Kings and I really do hope that I get it done before end of August :D It's going towards this challenge as well as The Hunger Games challenge.

message 48: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1323 comments Merja wrote: "Yeah, GoT is long! It took me two weeks to read it last winter. Now reading A Clash of Kings and I really do hope that I get it done before end of August :D It's going towards this challenge as well as The Hunger Games challenge."

I've been reading a book every 2 or 3 days this summer, and usually 2 at a time, so I'm really going to have to focus on GoT! I do have the hardcover book from the library, but I'm waiting for it to become available on eBook through the library, so it's easier to read at the gym and work (and whenever I'm not at home).

I don't get HBO, and I'm assuming at some point, I'm going to need to watch the show!

message 49: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 334 comments Finished 2/3:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

message 50: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Hi,

To finish a book that was written in another language than your own is quite easy when you're Dutch :-)

So the first book I finished qualifies: The Color Purple

1/3

« previous 1 3