The Never Ending TBR Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Bookish Rants and Pet Peeves

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Tellefsen (Rescues and Reads) (rescuesandreads) | 96 comments Mod
Alright, so I know we all have them. Pet peeves related to books or the book community.

Like publishers changing covers right in the middle of a series.

Or the fact that books seem to come in five-hundred million sizes so they never match on your shelves. Seriously.....why?

So this is the place for venting! Let it all out. But if you want to rant about a book in particular, please make sure you tag for spoilers.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

So, I was inspired to make this thread because there is something in particular that I know a lot of people appreciate, but that just really irritates me.....and that is unnecessary negativity in the book community. That is, Booktubers or bloggers or Bookstagrammers who go out of their way to hate on a book or series or even an author. For example, I see this quite frequently in relation to Colleen Hoover or Sarah J. Maas.

They will post 20 minute videos on why one book is terrible or why an author is "problematic" and then they seem to have an arrogance about their opinion, especially if the book is hyped. As though disliking the book when every one else loves it makes them somehow better than the rest of the population.

The main reason this bothers me, is that reading is a completely subjective activity. One person's DNF could be another's five-star read. So while I believe everyone has a right to their opinion, I don't think it is necessary to actively spread negativity about the book or author. Don't get me wrong, I may post a not-so-great review about a book, but that is where it ends. And it is not done arrogantly, but informatively.

So yeah, that's my rant for the day. Lol

message 3: by Carly (last edited May 30, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Carly W. (alderaanwords) | 19 comments Mod
@Brittany I think it's a very valid rant. The way you do it sounds professional and not disrespectful. An author is still a human being and has feelings whether or not you appreciated their book. :)

So...I don't protect the dust covers of books. I read with them on to protect the book and I don't care if the pretty art work gets ruined or scratched. I appreciate the art work but it's the book that matters. So my pet peeve is when people read books without the dust jackets on... or throw them out entirely *GASP* WHAT?! Your poor naked book!!! I've seen it folks... oh, help me now. From one extreme to the next! Ha ha.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Oh I am totally one who reads the book without the dust jacket. I want my dust jacket to stay nice and pretty and I get so irritated when I receive one that is torn. I would never ever throw one away though

message 5: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments I totally understanding posting a negative review. When I do, it's usually automatically posted to my blog, Twitter, and Facebook. But I'm still only writing one. I don't share it either. I post, and that's the end of it. How it should be.

If I feel that the author should hear my thoughts (and this usually pertains to the editing when it's horrendous, as I am an editor) I will message the author in someway privately and directly.

I rarely read physical books because I am limited on space and my local library doesn't carry much of what I read. All my physical books are well taken care of because they are all autographed. How dare people throw away the dust covers?!? That's part of the book! (Not going to bash anyone, I just don't understand why someone would.)

My peeve... Page-stuffed books. If I buy or borrow a book with only one title, that is the only title I want to read. I will not read anything else in the book. Recently, I read a book that was marked as 416 pages. But, the title (the only title listed) stopped at 46%. The rest? It was another book! Nope, I didn't read it. And when I posted my review, I let the readers know that the story ends and another one is included that isn't listed. Plus I will let Amazon know.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | -263 comments Mod
@GreenFairy: I didn't even know that was a thing! How terrible!

@Carly: I read without the dust jackets on. Like with my latest Insta, I really want to keep those books on my shelf without the covers and face them out because they're gorgeous, but for now they'll stay in their jackets. I can't deal with throwing them out or damaging them, it just feels way nicer to read them without their jackets on, and it's easier too.

message 7: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Yeah, it is. It mostly pertains to books that are available in KU. And books that are strictly Amazon books...no other site, paperback, or hardback available for them. The editing is usually crappy, generic looking covers and series names. And there are a ton of links in the front of the book. Then again right after the title book.

It's done mostly to up the page read count for them in KU. For example, if you read a story and notice there's a significant percentage left, you will see links. Even if you click on just the last link, for like the author's bio, KU will count every page in between as being read.

message 8: by Maddie (new)

wow weird. suppose I don't know because I don't have ku

message 9: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments I use KU for authors I've never read before. Or, if my budget doesn't allow for a purchase at that moment. I've come across a lot of authors that are on my never to read again list.

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Well doesn't that kind of make you not want to read books from there XD

message 11: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments That's part of why so many authors are pulling their books from KU. It's unfair treatment to them when they follow all the rules but don't get the benefits. Yet the ones that wiggle around the rules or flat out break them thrive.

message 12: by Maddie (new)

Yeah true. That makes me not want to read anything from KU

message 13: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments I'm considering canceling my subscription.

message 14: by Maddie (new)

I can see why!

message 15: by Luci (new)

Luci (lunarlucibooks) | 5 comments THANK YOU for the unnecessary amount of sizes books can come in! I am one of those people who goes out of her way to specifically buy all books in the same height, and I get really frustrated when halfway through the series, the height changes because of whatever reason._.
AND I absolutely can't get why people hate me for liking, or not liking a certain book. I get it, your opinion is different, but why attack me for mine...?
(and to add another thing to my list, people who insist on telling everyone to buy hardcovers "because those are prettier".. yeah, I know, I just don't have the money to spend 20 bucks on a hardcover when I can get 3 paperbacks for the same price)

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Luci wrote: "THANK YOU for the unnecessary amount of sizes books can come in! I am one of those people who goes out of her way to specifically buy all books in the same height, and I get really frustrated when ..."

Different sizes seriously bug me. Even on my paperback shelf there are like four different sizes. Why?!?!

And though I do like hardcovers for the aesthetic and get them usually, paperbacks are definitely cheaper and more comfortable to read in my opinion.

message 17: by Maddie (new)

I always prefer to read and own hardbacks, but they aren't sold on the shelves in my country, which is seriously bloody annoying.

message 18: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) So much YES to all of these! @GreenFairy I hate when I think I still have a bit to go on a KU book and it just ends because there's 3 sneak peeks of other books, grr!

I also read with the dust jacket on, I try to keep it nice, but I'm mostly concerned with the inside of the book.

My books are all shapes and sizes. Some I got from the library or a used book sale somewhere. I also used to work at Barnes and Noble so I have tons of strip titles (books with no covers) so my bookshelf is crazy looking

message 19: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments The different sizes don't bother me. Except for the fact of trying to organize them on my shelf. I don't have a huge collection of physical books. Because I don't have room. But I do collect autographed books.

Sneak peaks are supposed to be limited to excerpts of other stories. And Amazon changed the TOS that anything not directly related to the named book must be no more than 10% of the total book pages. The first thing I do, even for buying books, is look at the ToC. If I see there is even one book that isn't listed, I will not buy it or borrow it. And then I let Amazon know.

Amazon, probably all retailers actually, need more humans working there. They all rely on computers too much and that is how so many people have been able to scam the system.

message 20: by Riley (new)

Riley | 3 comments Okay, a few of my bookish pet peeves in no particular order:

1). When a book's synopsis spoils the entire story. I hate when the back of the book tells you everything that is going to happen in the book. No matter how well-written of a book it is, I no longer have any incentive to read it because I know what is going to happen.

2). When I own some, but not all, of the books in a series. So, I'm someone who likes to own physical copies of books, much to the dismay of my wallet and bank account, and missing a book in the middle of a series, for some reason, gets on my last nerve like nothing else.

3). Reading library books. (What do you mean I have to give it back?) While I'm far from a clean freak, something about library books and all of their mysterious stains and weird-feeling pages just grosses me out. With my own books, I can see a stain and know, "okay, that's peanut butter," but that same ease of mind in not present with library books.

4). No one is actually dead. This may just be me reading too many of the same type of books, but it seems that in every book right now there is someone who "is dead" who then turns out to have been alive the whole time. I can't give specific examples without spoiling books, but it's pretty much always that someone is "dead" and then there are some weird circumstances surrounding the death and then they are discovered to be alive. It's gotten so overused that every time it's mentioned that the body wasn't found, I'm just like, "okay, so he's alive."

5). Charters who lack any apparent motive. It always bothers me when a characters actions don't make any sense and it seems like the only reason they are doing them is because it's needed for the plot. This shows up a lot of time in antagonists and side characters when they aren't developed enough and, therefore, lack depth.

6). When books in a series aren't numbered on the spine or cover. I have stood in B&N for a good ten minutes trying to figure out which book in a series came first, only to end up picking the wrong one and that all could have been avoided with a little tiny number on the book.

message 21: by Maddie (new)

Oh that's sooooo true all of those. I really want to rant back but I know if I do I won't stop, and I don't want to work myself up like that.

message 22: by San (new)

San is it just me? that sometimes I write my reviews on good reads and they dont appears,they go away like poof* one day there,another they arent. do you guys also experince this problem?

message 23: by Maddie (new)

Yes!!! I go back to check when the last time I re-read a book was, and there's nothing there!

message 24: by San (new)

San I just uploaded a review about 3 books i think and when i went back to edit their date and notice no reviews were there,even before editing the date they were absent.

message 25: by San (new)

San oh wow! just now even more books have went away I can only see wbat I have rated them and no more reviews

message 26: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Goodreads is having a lot of glitches. When it comes to logging reviews, because of bookshelves. All it takes is for the system to have a glitch with one particular bookshelf and it screws everything up. Also, keep in mind that Goodreads is owned by Amazon. And I think most readers know about the issues with Amazon (if not, I can fill you in).

I rarely read the synopsis...for just that reason. I often skim them though. And for that reason, I usually don't read reviews either.

I don't have the space for a lot of physical books. So, the majority of physical books I own are autographed. Most are from book signings I have gone to where I got to meet authors. And I have a small collection of the ones that I have edited. I would need a room for a library of all the ones that I want to own.

I totally get the library book thing. That's why most of the time I only borrow the ebook version. It makes you wonder what these people do with the books...that aren't even theirs!

Character issues...yep. As an editor, it really annoys me. Because beta readers and editors are supposed to point those out to the author.

message 27: by San (new)

San Alright,im surprised,I never knew or thought that goodreads was owned by Amazon. Yup I'll be grateful if you do fill me up with the info?

message 28: by Maddie (new)

Yeah I didn't know either!

Yeah I'm definitely having a library (and a big one too) when I build a house.

message 29: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Goodreads never notified me about the responses!

Issues with Amazon:
1. There have been at least 16 authors (each who have multiple aliases) that have been banned from Amazon permanently for book stuffing, links in books that go against TOS, etc. Authors who have made 5-6 digits a MONTH illegally...taking from legit authors. This has taken place for at least 18 months.
2. Legit KU authors have gotten shafted for following rules while those other "authors" got to make a lot of money. Even though those authors and their books have been reported to Amazon for more than a year.
3. Authors are getting books removed for no valid reason.
4. Reviewers are finding it harder and harder to post reviews (I have a rant about this to post).
5. Because KU is so unfair in its profit-sharing with its authors, many of them have dropped KU, or will be dropping KU when their term limit is up.
6. Authors are leaving Amazon completely because their treatment of authors and readers is so crappy.
7. And then how they handled #cockygate.

That's it in a nutshell.

message 30: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) Wow, I didn't know about all those Amazon/KU issues. I wonder if there's another website like Amazon that these authors can go to, because I love being able to pay a small fee and read all these great ebooks.

message 31: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments A lot of the problem at Amazon is they rely on computers and algorithms too much for things. Especially when it comes to the book portion of their site, they NEED more humans working. People who will take the time to look through book submissions to make sure it's in compliance. People who will look into the books that are in violation. People who will follow authors' social media accounts because some have been caught (and reported to Amazon) for how to cheat the system. As in step-by-step instructions for how to get someone else to write a book for you but you get the profit, or to "read" an author's book without actually reading it. Yes, some authors and their team have been stupid enough to post this kind of stuff of social media.

They dropped the ball big time with KU. They need to get rid of the "bonus money" portion of the KU payment. State a flat fee of how much an author will get paid per page read. That's it. That is how it was supposed to be. Once they rolled out about bonus payments for high page numbers read, that set off the new scamming.

Because what amazes me is 3 of the top authors in KU consistently release books that are NOT edited. You mean to tell me that each month over 1,000 people are going to read these books and have NO issues with the editing? I was a member of one particular author's group that did this. After I read the first book, I messaged the author privately and asked if this was still in the process of being published. I got the response of basically, no, it's being published tomorrow just as it is right now. The author refuses to hire an editor because it will "cut into profits". I left the group and put that author on my DNR list. I have found 3 other "author" names this author used since.

message 32: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | -42 comments Here's my rant (got busy and never got to post it).

Reviewing on Amazon. Should be easy right?

As I am a book editor, I am very careful about reviewing on Amazon. I never post a review for any book that I have done any work on. Even before Amazon made it clear that it violates TOS. I won't review them on anything other than my personal social media.

Last week, I left a review for a Victsing essential oils diffuser. Has absolutely nothing to do with my job. I have never heard of this company before I came across it on Amazon. Absolutely no connections between me and the company at all.

Should be simple right?

Nope. 2 days later, I got an email from Amazon that I am permanently banned from posting ANY review for ANY product on Amazon. Forever. That my account indicates that I receive products for free in exchange for a review, that I receive compensation for reviewing products, and that I work directly with companies for a fee of the products I review.

I am missing a hell of a lot of money and products if that is the case.

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleykinca) My bookish pet peeve: when retailers put stickers on book covers and they don’t peel off easily, leaving a sticky residue on the cover. It’s minor, I suppose, but it really annoys me.

message 34: by Maddie (new)

Oh yes!! Another pet peeve of mine is when the 'stickers' come printed on the cover, like about a newly released movie or something.

message 35: by BookNook (new)

BookNook | 2 comments I hate it when toxic relationships in books are displayed as 'romantic' or use the excuse 'but they love each other'. Like no, that relationship is toxic af and its not a good thing to premote. I understand that in relationships people fight and have rough patches but I often find that in books characters can go too far and it becomes toxic, and they are then promoted as "loving" and "protective". There is a fine line between "protective" and controlling, and I hate it when characters are seen as protective when in reality they're just not letting their s.o live life.

message 36: by Maddie (new)

I agree! And I hate it how the guy coming onto the girl is always hot, and that makes it okay for him to do what he does, whereas if the guy was ugly they'd immediately call 'gross' or 'creepy' or 'stalker'. I hate how appearances do that.

message 37: by BookNook (new)

BookNook | 2 comments I hate when that happens! Another thing I hate in books is how two characters can be extremely rude/abusive towards each other but in the next chapter they're all lovey dovey.

message 38: by Maddie (new)

Yeah! Oh tropes are horrible.