Laurel County Public Library discussion

Bookish > Book Quotes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LCPL (last edited Aug 16, 2019 06:57AM) (new)

LCPL Krystyna | 2294 comments Mod
Some books have amazing quotes within their pages. Some books have excerpts of beautiful writing. Feel free to share quotes or excerpts that you love from books that you read here.

message 2: by LCPL (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

This is a book quote that is intriguing and captures the essence of this novel.

“Make one move and you’ll be silent forever and I’ll be gone in the dark.”
-Michelle McNamara, I'll Be Gone in the Dark

message 3: by LCPL (last edited Jul 04, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

1. "Some places just agree with people."
2. "Bad things don't happen to people because they deserve for them to happen. It just doesn't work that way. It's just...life. And no matter who we are, we have to take the hand we're dealt, crappy though it may be, and try our very best to move forward anyway, to love anyway, to have hope anyway...to have faith that there's a purpose to the journey we're on...And try to believe that maybe more light shines out of those who have the most cracks."
-Mia Sheridan, Archer's Voice

message 4: by LCPL (new)

1. "Exhaustion is a fantastic emotional leveler."
2. "Warm sand at sunset. Ice clinking on glass. The smell of sunscreen. Fingerprints on my paperback."
3. "I'm not breathing. My muscles are frozen, like that nightmare where you can't scream."
-Catherine Steadman, Something in the Water

message 5: by Debra Diggs (last edited Sep 11, 2018 05:51PM) (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments "The knife had done almost everything it was brought to that house to do, and both the blade and handle were wet."
- Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

message 6: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride

message 7: by LCPL (last edited Oct 03, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

1. "They float,' it growled, 'they float, Georgie, and when you’re down here with me, you’ll float, too–'"
2. “We all float down here!”
3. “Want a balloon?”
-Stephen King, It

message 8: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments "Not all those who wander are lost."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

message 9: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: ""Not all those who wander are lost."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring"

That is one of my favorite book quotes.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments "Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich" Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “The future was also the place where the bad stuff waited in ambush. My children were embarking on their futures in fragile vessels, and I trembled. I wanted to remove obstacles, smooth their way, I wanted to change their childhoods. I needed to be right all the time, I wanted them to listen to me, learn from my mistakes, and save themselves a lot of grief. Well, now I know I can control my tongue, my temper, and my appetites, but that's it. I have no effect on weather, traffic, or luck. I can't make good things happen. I can't keep anybody safe. I can't influence the future and I can't fix up the past.
What a relief.”
― Abigail Thomas, A Three Dog Life

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments “An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo!”
Jim Butcher, Blood Rites

message 13: by LCPL (new)

“I'm just trying to tell you that your life will be very long with zigzags you can't imagine. You won't realize just how young you are until you aren't that young anymore.”
― Taylor Jenkins Reid, Forever, Interrupted

message 14: by LCPL (new)

“Things happen in your life that you can’t possibly imagine. But time goes on and time changes you and the times change and the next thing you know, you’re smack in the middle of a life you never saw coming.”
― Taylor Jenkins Reid, Forever, Interrupted

message 15: by LCPL (new)

“Enjoy yourself. There are many good things in the world, and each of them happens for the first time only once, and never again.”
― Seanan McGuire, In an Absent Dream

message 16: by LCPL (new)

“In the way of bookish children, she carried her books into trees and along the banks of chuckling creeks, weaving her way along their slippery shores with the sort of grace that belongs only to bibliophiles protecting their treasures.”
― Seanan McGuire, In an Absent Dream

message 17: by LCPL (new)

“Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever.”
― Anthony Doerr, All the Light We Cannot See

message 18: by LCPL (new)

“Don’t you want to be alive before you die?”

message 19: by LCPL (new)

“Time is a slippery thing: lose hold of it once, and its string might sail out of your hands forever.”

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
–The Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling

message 21: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments Robin wrote: "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
–The Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling"

lol. Love that one.

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “Like all of my friends, she's a lousy judge of character.”
― David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day

“All of us take pride and pleasure in the fact that we are unique, but I'm afraid that when all is said and done the police are right: it all comes down to fingerprints.”
― David Sedaris, Holidays on Ice

message 23: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “Real love feels less like a throbbing, pulsing animal begging for its freedom and beating against the inside of my chest and more like, “Hey, that place you like had fish tacos today and I got you some while I was out,” as it sets a bag spotted with grease on the dining room table.”
― Samantha Irby, We Are Never Meeting In Real Life

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments “For the better part of my childhood, my professional aspirations were simple–I wanted to be an intergalactic princess.”
~ Janet Evanovich, Seven Up

message 25: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments "They chose hope over hate and showed the world that even through the darkest night, there is light."
- Ruta Sepetys, Between Shades of Gray

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments "Best dare ever. Well, until people died and vampires showed up. But before that it was awesome!"
- Magic Gifts, Ilona Andrews

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments Correction "Best date ever. Well, until people died and vampires showed up. But before that it was awesome!"
- Magic Gifts, Ilona Andrews

message 28: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “You can’t sit on the fence forever.”
― Oyinkan Braithwaite, My Sister, the Serial Killer

message 29: by LCPL (new)

Cathy wrote: "“You can’t sit on the fence forever.”
― Oyinkan Braithwaite, My Sister, the Serial Killer"

I like this quote.

message 30: by LCPL (last edited Mar 19, 2019 07:58AM) (new)

"None of us are powerless. Choice is the most powerful thing in this world. Everyone has a choice."
- Trisha Wolfe, Born, Darkly

message 31: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments Tomorrow's my birthday...here are a couple of quotes by Abigail Thomas from her Three Dog Life book that are appropriate for the occasion....

“It's easy now - it's middle-aged lady, nobody's looking, nobody notices. I go without lipstick if I feel like it, and I always wear my comfy clothes. It's a life with fewer distractions, but should something beautiful show up, a middle-aged woman is free to stare.”

“I was young once and slender and pretty and I made the most of it. It's somebody else's turn now.”

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments Happy Birthday Cathy!

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments “Face it girls. I'm older and I have more insurance.”
― Fannie Flagg, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

message 34: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments Happy birthday Cathy

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments Thanks so much ladies! It was actually a great one!

message 36: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “I think you have to have faith in people before they earn it. Otherwise it's not faith, right?”

― Taylor Jenkins Reid, Daisy Jones & The Six

message 37: by LCPL (new)

Cathy wrote: "“I think you have to have faith in people before they earn it. Otherwise it's not faith, right?”

― Taylor Jenkins Reid, Daisy Jones & The Six"

There are so many good quotes in that book! It's a favorite of mine. She is one of my favorite authors, if not my absolute favorite.

message 38: by LCPL (last edited Apr 08, 2019 01:34PM) (new)

“I’ve had friends like that,” he says, “the ones you outgrow but keep anyway.”
Christina Lauren, Roomies

message 39: by LCPL (new)

“You have to have one person in your life that you know would never do anything to steer you wrong. They may disagree with you. They could even break your heart, from time to time. But you have to have one person, at least, who you know will always tell you the truth.”
Taylor Jenkins Reid, Daisy Jones & The Six

message 40: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “Your problem, Werner,” says Frederick, “is that you still believe you own your life.”

and

message 41: by LCPL (new)

Cathy wrote: "“Your problem, Werner,” says Frederick, “is that you still believe you own your life.”

and

― Anthony Do..."

This book was filled with so many great quotes! I love his writing. These were also two of my favorites.

message 42: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments "I’m invisible except to the one person who is blind."
- Jean E. Pendziwol, The Lightkeeper's Daughters

message 43: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments "When I came back from death
it was morning,
the back door was open
and one of the buttons of my shirt had disappeared.”
― Derick Thomson

Read in House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

message 44: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1575 comments .
"But we forgot just how much harm a few crazies could do, in America and in the world."
- David Brin, The Postman

message 45: by Debra Diggs (new)

"Then, where there had been three, now there was only one, for Death had gone and she too."

- George R. Stewart, Earth Abides

message 46: by Debra Diggs (new)

"The Irishman. This is how he's remembered, as if his name is cursed. As if no one will get to heaven if they say his name out loud."

- Susan Fletcher, Eve Green

message 47: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “If brains was leather I couldn’t saddle a junebug.”
― Clayton Lindemuth, My Brother's Destroyer

message 48: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “Feel like a kid started out with a hundred dollar bill and next I know I’m an old man with empty pockets, wondering how the hell I spent everything so fast.” My Brother's DestroyerClayton Lindemuth

message 49: by Robin (new)

Robin Combs | 20 comments “But besides, I haven't the time, I'm too busy trying to see that you don't lose any of the money I married you for.”
― Dashiell Hammett, The Thin Man

message 50: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 112 comments “Don't look back!"
"Why not?"
"Because I just did! Run faster!”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

« previous 1