Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

Fun With Challenges > June 2018 Scavenger Hunt

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2904 comments Mod
June 2018 Scavenger Hunt
Begins: 01June18 / Ends: 30June18

Your challenge is to find the following words/phrases in the TEXT of the books you are reading this month.

You are NOT restricted to one book / one word; you may find as many of the words/phrases in a single book as you like. If you find all the words in one book you are really lucky!

This month's scavenger list are words that were found in
Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann
NOTE - you may NOT use this book for the scavenger hunt!

BASIC word list
aspic
bangs (hair style)
chaise longue
decanted
fizz
gin and tonic (entire phrase)
glamorous
island
love song (entire phrase)
martini
moonlight
ponytail
rouge
sundress
tumbler

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
bohemian
hydrangea
periwinkle
Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase)
voluminous

===========================================

Unless a variation is specified above, words must match exactly, with the following exceptions: I will accept a plural/singular version, or differences in spelling between British and American English (e.g. honor or honour). But those are the ONLY deviations allowed. So if you are looking for "vivid" - I will NOT allow "vividly."

All books used must be a minimum of 100 pages long - Page length determined by HARDCOVER 1st edition. If no Hardcover, then the most popular paperback governs page #.

You may read in any format - text, audio or e-book. If using audio or e-book I suggest using Amazon.com's "look inside" feature to get a page number for you quote.

You MUST finish the book before you can claim credit for finding the word/phrase.

Report as follows:
Word - Title of book (please use the add book/author feature to add title) - date finished - page # where you found the text - QUOTE
E.g.
1. Acidic – The Midnight Watch – 07Jan18 – pg 160 – "…through the acidic sludge…"

Have fun!

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Apr 23, 2019 12:47PM) (new)

Reserved for list of participants ... CLICK on your name to go directly to your post.

Deb - DONE

Donna - DONE

Ed - DONE

Gina

JennH

khungkhing

Koren - DONE

Licha-Olivia

Marilyn

Olivermagnus

Patty

SANDYE

Tessa - DONE

message 3: by Deb (last edited Aug 07, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Deb (chiana) | 89 comments June '18 SH

BASIC word list DONE!!!

BONUS / OPTIONAL words DONE

FOUND BASIC words
(view spoiler)
BONUS / OPTIONAL words
(view spoiler)
BOOKS USED
Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2) by Rachel Caine 6/4 ***** Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2) by Dana Marton 6/11 **** Gone Haunting in Deadwood (Deadwood, #9) by Ann Charles 6/13 ***** Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 6/18 ***** The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian 6/17 **** Reliquary (Pendergast, #2) by Douglas Preston 6/21 ***** The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier 6/23 **** Wickedly They Come by Cathrina Constantine 7/7 *** The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier 7/10 **** Craving (Steel Brothers Saga, #1) by Helen Hardt 7/23 **** SNAPPED (Snapped Series Book 1) by Ketley Allison 8/2 ** I Was a Teenage Fairy by Francesca Lia Block 8/7 *** The Trouble with Being Wicked (The Naughty Girls #1) by Emma Locke 8/7 **** One Door Away from Heaven by Dean Koontz 8/7 ****

message 4: by Book Concierge (last edited Sep 20, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

June 2018 Scavenger Hunt

15 / 15 regular words found
5 / 5 BONUS words found
10 books read

BASIC word list
aspic - Lilac Girls ✔ - 02July18 - pg 71 - "…shaking like the aspic on …"

bangs - Bitter Grounds ✔ – 23June18 - pg 308 - "…shoulder length, with swept aside bangs."

chaise longue - Bitter Grounds ✔ – 23June18 - pg 71 - "…across the chaise longue, and..."

decanted - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 88 - "…was decanted into a…"

fizz - The Fiery Cross ✔ - 22July18 - pg 56 - "…make a fizz about it."

gin and tonic - Trans-Sister Radio ✔ – 06June18 - pg 79 - "…served everyone gin and tonics."

glamorous - Call the Midwife ✔ – 17June18 - pg 9 - "…all glamorous, highly paid…"

island - Catching Fire ✔ – 04June18 - pg 268 - "…sitting on a circular island."

love song - The Girl She Used to Be ✔ – 15June18 - pg 120 - "…sing me a love song."

martini - Lilac Girls ✔ - 02July18 - pg 53 - "…nothing like a martini to stir …'"

moonlight - Catching Fire ✔ – 04June18 - pg 153 - "…will obscure any moonlight."

ponytail - Trans-Sister Radio ✔ – 06June18 - pg 10 - "…hair back in a ponytail then."

rouge - Trans-Sister Radio ✔ – 06June18 - pg 143 - "…female, rouge didn't make…"

sundress - Trans-Sister Radio ✔ – 06June18 - pg 24 - "…slip into a sundress, because…"

tumbler - Ethan Frome ✔ – 09June18 - pg 27 - "…in a tumbler by the…"

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
bohemian - Mrs. Poe ✔ – 06July18 - pg 19 - "…a Bohemian poetess…"

hydrangea - The Road ✔ - 10July18 - pg 232 - "...ferns and hydrangeas and wild ..."

periwinkle - Lilac Girls ✔ - 02July18 - pg 150 - "…pulling out a periwinkle blue …'

Swiss Army Knife - Over the Edge ✔ - 20Sep18 - pg 561 - "...Swiss Army Knife with saw..."

voluminous - Catching Fire ✔ – 04June18 - pg 42 - "…and a voluminous robe."

message 5: by JennH (last edited Jul 09, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

JennH | 223 comments June 2018 Scavenger Hunt

BASIC word list
aspic
✔bangs (hair style) - Magic and Macaroons - 6/4/18 - p12 - "...dishwater-blond bangs."
chaise longue
decanted
fizz

glamorous
✔island - In Cold Blood - 6/11/18 - p14 - "...an island off the coast..."
✔martini - MaddAddam - 6/21/18 - p121 - "...sucking up martinis..."

✔moonlight - Red Queen - 6/15/18 - p45 - "...pales in the moonlight..."
✔ponytail - Monsters of Men - 6/1/18 - p30 - "...tied back in a ponytail..."
rouge
sundress
tumbler

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
✔bohemian - MaddAddam - 6/21/18 - p169 - "...the odd dose of bohemian thrill..."
hydrangea
✔periwinkle - Spells and Scones - 6/15/18 - p7 - "...a periwinkle blue cloth..."
voluminous

message 6: by JennH (new)

JennH | 223 comments Will chaise lounge be acceptable for 'chaise longue?'

message 7: by Donna (last edited Jun 26, 2018 03:07PM) (new)

Donna | 439 comments Thanks for another fun game!

15 / 15 regular words found
5 / 5 BONUS words found
8 books referenced

BASIC word list
aspic ~~ These Shallow Graves ~~ 14Jun2018 ~~ page 307 ~~ “…there was glazed ham, tomato aspic,…”
bangs (hair style) ~~ The Passage ~~ 4Jun2018 ~~ page 93 ~~ “…Lacey ran her fingers through the girl’s bangs…”
chaise longue ~~ Y is for Yesterday ~~ 6Jun2018 ~~ page 140 ~~ “…one of the two matching chaises longues…”
decanted ~~ Great Expectations ~~ 26Jun2018 ~~ page 9 ~~ “…which I decanted into a glass bottle I had secretly used…”
fizz ~~ The Last Summer of the Camperdowns ~~ 13Jun2018 ~~ page 6 ~~ “…spraying him top to bottom with bubbles and fizz…”
gin and tonic (entire phrase) ~~ Y is for Yesterday ~~ 6Jun2018 ~~ page 100 ~~ “…nursing a gin and tonic, her attention focused…”
glamorous ~~ The Last Summer of the Camperdowns ~~ 13Jun2018 ~~ page 5 ~~ “…the circle of glamorous disciples…”
island ~~ The Passage ~~ 4Jun2018 ~~ page 220 ~~ “…he read to her Treasure Island…”
love song ~~ The Sun Is Also a Star ~~ 22Jun2018 ~~ page 102 ~~ “…the heart of love songs and soliloquies…”
martini ~~ Y is for Yesterday ~~ 6Jun2018 ~~ page 22 ~~ “…brought Ruthie a martini straight up…”
moonlight ~~ The Passage ~~ 4Jun2018 ~~ page 506 ~~ “…all of it bathed in a bluish moonlight…”
ponytail ~~ The Passage ~~ 4Jun2018 ~~ page 14 ~~ “…a muscled man with a ponytail…”
rouge ~~ The Last Summer of the Camperdowns ~~ 13Jun2018 ~~ page 36 ~~ “…like an overdose of rouge…”
sundress ~~ Fangirl ~~ 11Jun2018 ~~ page 354 ~~ “in a simple yellow sundress on her wedding day…”
tumbler ~~ These Shallow Graves ~~ 14Jun2018 ~~ page 428 ~~ “…just as the tumblers turned…”

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
bohemian ~~ Y is for Yesterday ~~ 6Jun2018 ~~ page 3 ~~ “…her parents fancy themselves Bohemians…”
hydrangea~~ The Last Summer of the Camperdowns ~~ 13Jun2018 ~~ page 181 ~~ “…outlines of bluebirds and seagulls, dahlias and hydrangea…”
periwinkle ~~ Fangirl ~~ 11Jun2018 ~~ page 53 ~~ “black eyebrows and periwinkle blue wingtips…”
Swiss Army Knife ~~ Revolution ~~ 19Jun2018 ~~ page 310~~ “he pulled out a Swiss army knife and nailed MickeyD…”
voluminous ~~ Y is for Yesterday ~~ 6Jun2018 ~~ page 476 ~~ “…I worked to free myself from the voluminous tenting…”

message 8: by Book Concierge (last edited May 31, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

JennH wrote: "Will chaise lounge be acceptable for 'chaise longue?'"

Because it's a spelling difference - English speakers call it a "lounge" when the original French is "chaise longue" (pronounced "long") - I'll take it.

I'll also take "pony tail" (as two words, or hyphenated) for "ponytail."

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Happy hunting, Scavengers! I've got everyone linked to this point.

message 10: by Patty (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Patty | 187 comments BASIC word list

aspic

bangs (hair style)-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 198-"sharply cut dark bangs falling"

chaise longue or chaise lounge

decanted

fizz--The Girl on Legare Street-6/30/18-page 326-"I felt the fizz of electricity shoot through me and back to her."

glamorous-The Boleyn Inheritance-6/17/18-page 487-"most glamorous couple at court."

island-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 78-"I walked all the way along the island"

love song (entire phrase)-Like Water for Chocolate6/5/18-page 198-"singing a love song beneath her window."

martini-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 267-"a pitcher of very cold martinis"

moonlight-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 20-"pale in moonlight"

ponytail or pony tail-The Wedding Dress-6/09/18-page 57-"gathered her hair into a ponytail."

rouge-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 7-"brightly rouged cheeks"

sundress

tumbler-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 261-"filling the tumbler and passing it"

BONUS / OPTIONAL words

bohemian-The Paris Wife-6/3/18-page 196-"a glimpse of a real bohemian"

hydrangea-The House on Tradd Street-6/27/18-page 161-"making holes for hydrangea bushes."

periwinkle

voluminous-The House on Tradd Street-6/27/18-page 42-"hampered by her voluminous breasts"

message 11: by JennH (new)

JennH | 223 comments Book Concierge wrote: "JennH wrote: "Will chaise lounge be acceptable for 'chaise longue?'"

Because it's a spelling difference - English speakers call it a "lounge" when the original French is "chaise longue" (pronounce..."

Thank you! I thought it was a typo at first.

message 12: by Licha-Olivia (last edited Jun 30, 2018 11:02AM) (new)

Licha-Olivia | 286 comments June 2018 Scavenger Hunt

(1) These Broken Stars Amie Kaufman (6/5/18) 4*
(2) Halfway to the Grave Jeaniene Frost (6/14/18) 4*
(3) The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy Rachel Joyce (6/21/18) 3*
(4) The Iron King Julie Kagawa (6/23/18) 4*
(5) This Shattered World Amie Kaufman (6/25/18) 4*
(6) Brave New World Aldous Huxley (6/2718) 3*
(7) Any Duchess Will Do Tessa Dare (6/28/18) 4*
(8) Managed Kristen Callihan (6/29/18) 4*
(9) Postcards and Pearls: Life Lessons From Solo Moments in New York Gina Greenlee (6/30/18) 2*

BASIC word list: 15/15 completed

(3) aspic: Kindle p. 86-...is caught in aspic in my mind.
(4) bangs (hair style): Kindle p. 388-....running his fingers through his bangs...
(1) chaise longue: Kindle p. 776-Why, on this comfortable chaise longue…
(6) decanted: Kindle p. 6-...either decanted or in embryo.
(9) fizz: Kindle location 659-Want more fizz in your life?
(2) gin and tonic: Kindle p. 4-…I sat at the bar and ordered a gin and tonic.
(4) glamorous: Kindle p. 77-...pig farming isn't the most glamorous...
(5) island: Kindle location 334-The waterways between islands...
(3) love song (entire phrase): Kindle p. 190-...The Love Song of a Maid...
(5) martini: Kindle location 119-...from the martini glass...
(2) moonlight: Kindle p. 57-The moonlight shining down…
(4) ponytail: Kindle p. 82-Yanking it into a ponytail.
(7) rouge: Kindle p. 63-Cleverness is like rouge...
(8) sundress: Kindle p. 193...blue sundress flirts with my thighs...
(7) tumbler: Kindle p. 293-The tumbler gave an ominous click.

BONUS / OPTIONAL words: 1/5 completed
bohemian
hydrangea
periwinkle
(7) voluminous: Kindle p. 34-...arranging her voluminous skirts...

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Licha-Olivia & Patty ... I have you both linked. Enjoy the challenge!

message 14: by Gina (new)

Gina (southernbelle1) | 0 comments How do I get added to June? Thanks Gina. New to site and group.

message 15: by Marilyn (last edited Jun 27, 2018 11:29AM) (new)

Marilyn Lott | 376 comments June 2018 Scavenger Hunt

11/ 15 regular words found
2 / 5 BONUS words found
4 books read:
(1) The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan - 6/8/18
(2) A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler - 6/13/18
(3) The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille - 6/22/18
(4) Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke

BASIC word list
aspic
bangs (hair style)
chaise longue - (2) p. 177 - "...under a blanket in a chaise longue..."
decanted
fizz
gin and tonic - (3) loc. 4651 - "...I sipped on a gin and tonic,..."
glamorous - (1) p. 398 - "...a competition for the most glamorous hats,..."
island - (1) p. 205 - "The Nazis invaded our Channel Islands."
love song - (4) loc. 1591 - "...couldn't hear anything above the twanged-up love song."
martini - (3) loc.737 - "...I ordered a gin martini,..."
moonlight - (1) p. 357 - "...we continued our moonlight walk together,..."
ponytail - (2) p. "Her long black ponytail..."
rouge - (3) loc. 6773 - "...lips that needed blood or lip rouge."
sundress - (1) p. 258 - "So I put on my yellow sundress..."
tumbler - (2) p. 168 - "He placed the tumbler on..."

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
bohemian - (1) p. 22 - "...thought of them as bohemian willow types..."
hydrangea - (1) p. 281 - and a vase of purple hydrangeas..."
periwinkle
voluminous

message 16: by Koren (last edited Dec 26, 2018 06:18PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 550 comments BASIC word list
15/15

aspic-The Cracker Queen: A Memoir of a Jagged, Joyful Life by Lauretta Hannon finished 6/18 p. 101 Usually a black man in white coat served tomato aspic and chicken salad.

bangs (hair style)-Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing up Groovy and Clueless by Susan Jane Gilman finished 6/25 p. 101 A blond, spindly boy with bangs in his eyes...

chaise longue-Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever by Rich Wilson p. 199 If the thought of Ann Coulter reclining in a chaise lounge and throwing Donald Trump a come-hither leer just popped into your mind, I apologize.

decanted-Unmasked: A Memoir by Andrew Lloyd Webber finished 7/29 p. 362 Once decanted from Cunard's flagship...

fizz-The Cracker Queen: A Memoir of a Jagged, Joyful Life by Lauretta Hannon finished 6/18 p. 114 I was a cocktail waitress in a bar called the Fizz Lounge.

gin and tonic (entire phrase)-Unmasked: A Memoir by Andrew Lloyd Webber finished 7/29 p. 358 ...which contained a miniature gin and tonic or vodka and whatever plus a plastic glass.

glamorous-My Father's Business: The Small-Town Values That Built Dollar General into a Billion-Dollar Company finished 6/12 p. 207 It wasn't glamourous, but it worked.

island-In Plain Sight: The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders by Kathryn Casey finished 6/9 p. 16 ...slightly smaller than Rhode Island...

love song (entire phrase)-Unmasked: A Memoir by Andrew Lloyd Webber finished 7/29 p. 133 ...and love songs composed on Vi's piano.

martini-The Cracker Queen: A Memoir of a Jagged, Joyful Life by Lauretta Hannon finished 6/18 p. 132 Think Hutu and Tutsi but wielding martinis rather than machetes.

moonlight-Moonlight on Linoleum: A Daughter's Memoir by Terry Helwig finished 7/2 p. 36 ...they shimmer like moonlight and sweeten the night air,

ponytail-In Plain Sight: The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders by Kathryn Casey finished 6/9 p. 219 ...assuming Eric and the woman with the ponytail...

rouge-Unmasked: A Memoir by Andrew Lloyd Webber finished 7/29 p. 481 Queen and priest, trace of rouge...

sundress)-Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing up Groovy and Clueless by Susan Jane Gilman finished 6/25 p. 239 She directed me to a delicate, pre-Raphaelite-looking redhead in a batik sundress.

tumbler-The Best Cook in the World: Tales from My Momma's Table by Rick Bragg finished 6/28 p, ...with tumblers and clowns and a ringing calliope, like I had seen on television.

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
4/5

bohemian-The Cracker Queen: A Memoir of a Jagged, Joyful Life by Lauretta Hannon finished 6/18 p. 22 He was old-school Bohemian...

hydrangea-(not Quite) Mastering the Art of French Living by Mark Greenside finished 7/5 loc. 677 ...at the three-story stone houses, roses, hydrangeas, and geraniums blooming...
periwinkle--Her Last Death by Susanna Sonnenberg finished 10/19 p. 34 ...scouting for periwinkles.

Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase)--The 13th Gift: A True Story of a Christmas Miracle by Joanne Huist Smith finished 12/16 p. 99 Ricks watch, Swiss Army knife, key chain, and wedding ring....

voluminous-Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress: Tales of Growing up Groovy and Clueless by Susan Jane Gilman finished 6/25 p. 325 ...a voluminous, sweeping skirt...

message 17: by *¨·٠•●♥✿LINLAN✿♥●•٠·¨* (last edited Jul 14, 2018 10:37PM) (new)

*¨·٠•●♥✿LINLAN✿♥●•٠·¨* (underjadeorchid) | 4 comments BASIC words found: 10/15
BONUS words found: 1/5
Books Referenced: 6

BASIC word list
aspic:

bangs (hair style): Punk 57 - 6-Jun-18 - P. 1258 (Read on Kindle) - "...and her blonde bangs hanging in her eyes."

chaise longue:

decanted:

fizz:

gin and tonic (entire phrase): The Last Guy - 26-Jun-18 - P. 512 (Read on Kindle) - "I take a long gulp of my gin and tonic (with cucumber, of course—nods to Christian Grey)."

glamorous: The Unwanted Wife - 22-Jun-18 - P. 1054 (Read on Kindle) - "...his family history was almost identical to hers and his glamorous sisters..."

island: The Beauty of Darkness - 14-Jun-18 - P. 5516 (Read on Kindle) - "...a rare clear day where the rocky island of lost souls was visible in the distance,..."

love song (entire phrase):

martini: The Last Guy - 27-Jun-18 - P. 1595 (Read on Kindle) - "Chas holds a martini glass in one hand,..."

moonlight: Punk 57 - 6-Jun-18 - P. 563 (Read on Kindle) - "..., and moonlight glimmers off the glass lying on the ground..."

ponytail: Punk 57 - 5-Jun-18 - P. 129 (Read on Kindle) - "..., the blonde ponytail, the black jacket,..."

rouge: The Last Guy - 26-Jun-18 - P. 91 (Read on Kindle) - "We’ve been to Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, Baton Rouge,..."

sundress: The Last Guy - 26-Jun-18 - P. 1138 (Read on Kindle) - "..., a yellow sundress,..."

tumbler: A Gathering of Shadows - 18-Jun-18 - P. 6479 (Read on Kindle) - "Kell tipped a little more into his tumbler."

Optional/BONUS word list
bohemian:

hydrangea: Because You're Mine - 13-Jul-18 - P. 420 (Read on Kindle) - "I smile as the bouquet of white hydrangeas nears,..."

periwinkle:

Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase):

voluminous:

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Gina wrote: "How do I get added to June? Thanks Gina. New to site and group."

Gina ...
Start a new post with the basic information in it . You can type it, or copy/paste it from the original or another member's post.

Once you've done that, I'll link you as a participant. You can then click on your name to go directly to your post; edit your post each time you find a word / finish a book.

When you've completed the list, post a new message saying you've finished, and referencing your post number, and I'll mark you done. Take a look at past months' threads for examples.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Marilyn, Koren and khungkhing - I have you all linked. Happy hunting!

message 20: by SANDYE (last edited Oct 11, 2018 10:34AM) (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) BASIC words found: 12/15
BONUS words found: 4/5
Books referenced: 8

BASIC word list

aspic

bangs (hair style)~~ If the Shoe Fits (Once Upon A Romance 1) by Laurie LeClair~~8/14/18~~pg. 177~~"Gone were the curls and in its place was a smart, modern style with soft bangs and with slightly flipped-up layers."

chaise lounge~~Carolina Booty by T. Lynn Ocean ~~ 7/10/18 ~~ pg 86 ~~ "Aaron had been found in a chaise lounge on the back deck of his house, unconscious."

decanted
fizz

gin and tonic (entire phrase) ~~ Carolina Booty by T. Lynn Ocean ~~ 7/10/18 ~~ pg 12 ~~ "Imagining it to be a gin and tonic, I downed the Pepsi and dropped the cup into a trashcan on my way out of the theater."

glamorous~~Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil #1) by Gallagher Gray~~6/7/18~~pg. 96~~"This was not the glamorous detective life he had envisioned."

island~~Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil #1) by Gallagher Gray~~6/7/18~~pg. ??~~"An island of honesty ina sea of silver & tinted coiffed ladies..."

love song (entire phrase)~~ If the Shoe Fits (Once Upon a Romance 1) by Laurie LeClair~~8/14/18~~pg. 152~~"As another popular love song came on, he heard several women nearby exclaim at the rich, husky voice of the well-known singer."

martini~~The Gentleman Tramp by Toby Glover ~ 7/13/18 ~ pg 187 ~ "Alcoholic beverages were brought for us and I had a martini because I didn't know what..."

moonlight~~Digging In by Loretta Nyhan~~6/13/18~~pg. 30~~"My normally boring suburban yard appeared dark & mysterious in the moonlight."

ponytail~Loose Screw (Dusty Deals #1) by Rae Davies ~ 8/3/18 ~ pg. 192 ~ "The little guy in the burlap shirt and ponytail?"

rouge~~Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil #1) by Gallagher Gray~~6/7/18~~pg. 53~~"...and a sprinkling of rouge because it suited her elegant clothes."

sundress~~Every Little Kiss (Kissed by the Bay #1) by Susan Hatler~~8/6/18~~pg. 299~~"Olivia looked pretty in a yellow sundress.

tumbler~Loose Screw (Dusty Deals #1) by Rae Davies ~ 8/3/18 ~ pg. 145 ~ "After eating my sandwich and half the bag of pretzels, I poured a giant tumbler of Diet Pepsi with milk."

BONUS / OPTIONAL words

bohemian~~Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil #1) by Gallagher Gray~~6/7/18~~pg. 66~~"...in design for Auntie Lil's bohemian tastes..."

hydrangea~~Every Little Kiss (Kissed by the Bay #1) by Susan Hatler~~8/6/18~~pg. 52~~"Olivia had once thrown up right in the potted hydrangeas by the front door after grilled cheese sandwiches, a large fries, and too many chocolate milkshakes"

periwinkle

Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase)~~Partners In Crime (Hubbert & Lil #1) by Gallagher Gray~~6/7/18~~pg. 63~~"...a large Swiss army knife, several pens, a box of colored pencils..."

voluminous~~Digging In by Loretta Nyhan~~6/13/18~~pg. 232~~"Big, voluminous white tents puffed up into the summer sky before collapsing in on themselves..."

message 21: by Gina (new)

Gina (southernbelle1) | 0 comments Gina H. June Scavenger Hunt.

BASIC WORD LIST:
aspic
bangs (hair style)
chaise longue
decanted
fizz
glamorous
island
martini
moonlight
ponytail
rouge
sundress
tumbler

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
bohemian
hydrangea
periwinkle
voluminous

===================

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Welcome to the scavenger hunt, SANDYE and Gina. Your links are active. Have fun!

message 23: by Olivermagnus (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:58AM) (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) June 2018 Scavenger Hunt
June 1 -30, 2018

of 20 Complete

Basic word list

aspic
bangs (hair style) - Undercover Princess - Suzanne Brockmann
chaise longue - Nightfall Over Shanghai - Daniel Kalla
decanted
fizz
gin and tonic (entire phrase) - Undercover Princess - Suzanne Brockmann
glamorous - The Identicals - Elin Hilderbrand - 6/10/18 - page 346 - "his career wasn't as glamorous as Eleanor's"
island - World of Trouble - Ben H. Winters - 6/14/18 - page 65 - "this is some sort of desert island mirage"
martini - The Identicals - Elin Hilderbrand - 6/10/18 - page 237 - "a passion fruit martini does sound delicious"
moonlight - World of Trouble - Ben H. Winters - 6/14/18 - page 90 - "flickers of moonlight peeking in through the material"
ponytail - World of Trouble - Ben H. Winters - 6/14/18 - page 158 - "his ponytail unkempt and sweat matted"
rouge
sundress - World of Trouble - Ben H. Winters - 6/14/18 - page 6 - "yellow sundress, faded and tattered at the hem"
tumbler

Bonus words

bohemian - Nightfall Over Shanghai - Daniel Kalla
hydrangea - The Identicals - Elin Hilderbrand - 6/10/18 - page 285 - "around a pink hydrangea bush"
periwinkle -
Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase) - World of Trouble - Ben H. Winters - 6/14/18 - page 85 - "I dig out the Swiss Army knife and use the Allen wrench"
voluminous

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

I've got you linked, Lynda. Hope you (and Oliver) have fun!

message 25: by Ed (last edited Apr 21, 2019 09:11PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 172 comments I finally got "decanted".

*****COMPLETED 4/21/19*****

starting 6/6/18- Finished 4/21/19

20/20

BASIC word list
✔aspic-p.385- In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower-"...there would be a band of red , as dense and fine -edged as a slab of aspic, that striped the sky at Combray..." 4/13/19
✔bangs (hair style)-p.64-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Isaac looked at the ceiling as he blew his long bangs out of his eyes." 6/18/18
chaise longue-p.113-Rat Bohemia-"...stretched out on a chaise longue from Lamston's,..." 7/23/18
✔decanted-p.169-In a Sunburned Country-"We met in the little town of Mt. Beauty, where we decanted into one of the park's four-wheel-drive vehicles..." 4/21/19
✔fizz-p. 118- Revenge and the Wild-"When it started to fizz, he handed it to her." 7/31/18
✔gin and tonic (entire phrase)-p.152-A Visit from the Goon Squad-"'But i want to forget,' Kitty said pouring herself a gin and tonic." 7/7/18
✔glamorous-p.142- A Visit from the Goon Squad- "...sending scalding oil onto the heads of every glamorous person in the country..." 7/7/18
✔island-loc.132-The Masquerader-"...he stepped from the little island and disappeared..." 6/10/18
✔love song (entire phrase)-loc.1556- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall-"The other day he nearly fractured my skull for singing a pretty, inoffensive love song..." 6/7/18
✔martini-p.70-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Ordered the butler to make a pitcher of martinis?" 6/18/18
✔moonlight-p.165-My Cousin Rachel-"And your godfather wants to show me the beacon head by moonlight." 6/13/18
✔ponytail-p.87-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"...a tall Asian guy with a long ponytail hanging down his back..." 6/19/18
✔rouge-p.72-Little Women-"...and Hortense would have added a soupcon of rouge if..." 6/14/18
✔sundress-p.203-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Naked beneath a wrinkled sundress, I tripped to the threshold..." 6/21/18
✔tumbler-loc.2609-The Tenant of Wildfell Hall-"...and I handed him his fourth tumbler." 6/8/18

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
✔bohemian-Part.2Ch.7 of LibriVox-O Pioneers! "...she met Frank at a Bohemian picnic." 6/12/18
✔hydrangea-p.115-Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You: 13 Stories- "Rhododendrons, azaleas, hydrangeas, in red and orange and purple colors that hurt the eyes." 8/27/18
✔periwinkle-p.200-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"...Brahmins...favored a particular shade of periwinkle for home decor..." 6/21/18
✔Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase)-p.122-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Even if I lost my Swiss Army knife, I'd still have a way to core the pineapples..." 6/19/18
✔voluminous-p.28-The Day of the Owl-"But the Captain knew, from a voluminous dossier on the police informer..." 7/10/18

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Ed ... you can include any book you've read since June 1.

For example, let's say you began reading a book on May 28 and when you picked it up to continue on June 1, you were on page 126. Any word you find from page 126 on is fair game for this month's scavenger hunt. (Hope that made sense.)

I've created a link for you. Good luck!

message 27: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 172 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Ed ... you can include any book you've read since June 1.

For example, let's say you began reading a book on May 28 and when you picked it up to continue on June 1, you were on page 126. Any word..."

yes, it does...thanks

message 28: by Licha-Olivia (new)

Licha-Olivia | 286 comments Question: Does it count if the word is part of the title only and I don't read it in any other part of the story?

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna | 439 comments Just to clarify, is the word "decanted" or "decanter"? Decanter is not difficult to find, but decanted will be a challenge.

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Licha-Olivia wrote: "Question: Does it count if the word is part of the title only and I don't read it in any other part of the story?"

Sorry, no.... the word must be found in the text of the book.

===============

Donna wrote: "Just to clarify, is the word "decanted" or "decanter"? Decanter is not difficult to find, but decanted will be a challenge."

Words must match exactly (other than plural/singular). So it has to be "decanted."

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna | 439 comments Excellent. The hunt will continue!

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna | 439 comments I found "decanted" in Great Expectations. Challenge complete!

message 33: by Book Concierge (new)

Whoop Whoop Whoop!

message 34: by Licha-Olivia (new)

Licha-Olivia | 286 comments It took me 9 books to complete the basic word list.

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

Licha-Olivia wrote: "It took me 9 books to complete the basic word list."

Good job, Licha!

message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

I think "Swiss Army knife" will be my downfall on this month's list.

message 37: by Deb (new)

Deb (chiana) | 89 comments Finally completed! (Message 3)

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Deb wrote: "Finally completed! (Message 3)"

Way to go, Deb!

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Update message # 4 - Challenge completed!

Finally found "Swiss Army Knife" in Over the Edge Death in Grand Canyon Gripping Accounts of All Known Fatal Mishaps in the Most Famous of the World's Seven Natural Wonders by Michael P. Ghiglieri

message 40: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 550 comments Found Swiss Army knife on Christmas. Finally finished this one.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

WTG, Koren ... good to be persistent!

message 42: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 172 comments I finally got "decanted".

*****COMPLETED 4/21/19*****

starting 6/6/18- Finished 4/21/19

20/20

BASIC word list
✔aspic-p.385- In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower-"...there would be a band of red , as dense and fine -edged as a slab of aspic, that striped the sky at Combray..." 4/13/19
✔bangs (hair style)-p.64-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Isaac looked at the ceiling as he blew his long bangs out of his eyes." 6/18/18
chaise longue-p.113-Rat Bohemia-"...stretched out on a chaise longue from Lamston's,..." 7/23/18
✔decanted-p.169-In a Sunburned Country-"We met in the little town of Mt. Beauty, where we decanted into one of the park's four-wheel-drive vehicles..." 4/21/19
✔fizz-p. 118- Revenge and the Wild-"When it started to fizz, he handed it to her." 7/31/18
✔gin and tonic (entire phrase)-p.152-A Visit from the Goon Squad-"'But i want to forget,' Kitty said pouring herself a gin and tonic." 7/7/18
✔glamorous-p.142- A Visit from the Goon Squad- "...sending scalding oil onto the heads of every glamorous person in the country..." 7/7/18
✔island-loc.132-The Masquerader-"...he stepped from the little island and disappeared..." 6/10/18
✔love song (entire phrase)-loc.1556- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall-"The other day he nearly fractured my skull for singing a pretty, inoffensive love song..." 6/7/18
✔martini-p.70-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Ordered the butler to make a pitcher of martinis?" 6/18/18
✔moonlight-p.165-My Cousin Rachel-"And your godfather wants to show me the beacon head by moonlight." 6/13/18
✔ponytail-p.87-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"...a tall Asian guy with a long ponytail hanging down his back..." 6/19/18
✔rouge-p.72-Little Women-"...and Hortense would have added a soupcon of rouge if..." 6/14/18
✔sundress-p.203-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Naked beneath a wrinkled sundress, I tripped to the threshold..." 6/21/18
✔tumbler-loc.2609-The Tenant of Wildfell Hall-"...and I handed him his fourth tumbler." 6/8/18

BONUS / OPTIONAL words
✔bohemian-Part.2Ch.7 of LibriVox-O Pioneers! "...she met Frank at a Bohemian picnic." 6/12/18
✔hydrangea-p.115-Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You: 13 Stories- "Rhododendrons, azaleas, hydrangeas, in red and orange and purple colors that hurt the eyes." 8/27/18
✔periwinkle-p.200-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"...Brahmins...favored a particular shade of periwinkle for home decor..." 6/21/18
✔Swiss Army Knife (entire phrase)-p.122-No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late-"Even if I lost my Swiss Army knife, I'd still have a way to core the pineapples..." 6/19/18
✔voluminous-p.28-The Day of the Owl-"But the Captain knew, from a voluminous dossier on the police informer..." 7/10/18

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

WTG, Ed!