Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > July 2018 General Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers,

Nominations for our July General Book Discussions are now open. To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guidelines:

📌AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

📌Only members who have actively participated in prior book discussions will be permitted to nominate books for the following month. If you have recently joined the group, please do participate in the current month's discussion so you qualify as a valid nominator. A more thorough explanation can be found here.

✔️ You may nominate one (1) book. PLEASE NOTE: By entering a nomination you are agreeing to act as our Book Discussion Leader for that book if it wins. Don't worry it is neither difficult nor time consuming and the moderators are here to help in the event that you need a hand.

✔️ Your nomination should be in the crime, mystery, or thriller genres or their sub-genres.

✔️A book is only eligible if it is available in paperback and digital formats in the US/Canada and UK/Australia. We recently discovered that many books are released in the UK/Australia months before they are released in the US/Canada. Please understand we are trying to give all our members the opportunity to participate in our book discussions. We don't want to exclude a significant portion of our members because they do not have availability to the book nominated.

✔️ You may nominate any book that is in a series, it does not have to be the first book.

✔️ To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

✔️ Post your nomination as a comment in this discussion. Do not notify the moderators of your selection by way of a private message, if you do you run the risk of your book not being including in the poll.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or send me a private message directly.

The nomination period will close on Sunday June 3 at approximately 7:oo pm, MST time (UTC -7).

Polling will begin on Wednesday June 6th.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 46 comments I nominate The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton.

How do you stop a murder that’s already happened?

At a gala party thrown by her parents, Evelyn Hardcastle will be killed--again. She's been murdered hundreds of times, and each day, Aiden Bishop is too late to save her. Doomed to repeat the same day over and over, Aiden's only escape is to solve Evelyn Hardcastle's murder and conquer the shadows of an enemy he struggles to even comprehend--but nothing and no one are quite what they seem.

Deeply atmospheric and ingeniously plotted, The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is a highly original debut that will appeal to fans of Kate Atkinson and Agatha Christie. (less)

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2134 comments Ye Gods! a Tale of Dogs and Demons by Lynne M. Hinkey Ye Gods! a Tale of Dogs and Demons by Lynne M. Hinkey

Is the chupacabra real or myth? Dog only knows. Author Jack Halliman, accompanied by his loyal dog and first mate, Hanna, sails to Puerto Rico looking for a cure for his writer's block. Instead, he finds a dead body. With chickens, dogs, and livestock dropping like flies, the mayor has an answer: the legendary chupacabra is back. The problem is, no one on the island can agree on what, exactly, the chupacabra is. Legendary beast, vampire, or alien? As the conniving mayor, a dogged detective, a voodoo-practicing fourteen-year-old, and the local "witch" drag him deeper into the investigation, Jack has to separate reality from mythology. But on an island where UFO sightings, conspiracy theories, and superstition abound, the lines between men and monsters, monsters and gods, and in this case, between gods and a dog, are thin and blurry.

It seems funny. Just what I need for July. :)

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Daly | 142 comments I nominate “Murder As a Fine Art”, by David Morrell. I don’t know how to get a pic of the cover up here I’m sorry to say because it’s a very atmospheric cover. There are three books in this series and this is the first. The mystery’s are all stand alone although the characters growth are not. I loved all three. I don’t hear much about them hence my recommendation.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Kathleen wrote: "I nominate “Murder As a Fine Art”, by David Morrell. I don’t know how to get a pic of the cover up here I’m sorry to say because it’s a very atmospheric cover. There are three books in this series ..."

I agree with you Kathleen - very unusual cover.

Murder as a Fine Art (Thomas De Quincey, #1) by David Morrell
Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell

message 7: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments I, Judas The 5th Gospel by Bob Mayer I, Judas The 5th Gospel by Bob Mayer

What if Judas is still alive, hidden away in the jungles of the Amazon, waiting for the Second Coming?

As a massive object appears at the edge of the solar system heading directly toward Earth, the Brotherhood heralds it as Wormwood, one of the signs the Rapture and it’s just seven days away. They have been preparing to implement the Great Commission as designated by Jesus—where everyone on the planet must hear the word of God before the end in order to be saved. They will use advanced technology to send that message directly into the minds of every human on the planet. The question is: will the message kill everyone who gets it or save them?
Believing him to be the anti-Christ, they also send a team of assassins up the Amazon to find the Great Betrayer and kill him.

Opposing the Brotherhood is the Triumvirate of the Illuminati. They believe they must stop the Great Commission and also they try to stop the assassination team. At the same time they rush to gather nuclear weapons and launch missiles into space to divert the Intruder, as they call the object.

Two survivors do finally make it to Judas, and he tells them a story, the true story of what happened over two millennia ago.

As the object nears Earth, both sides become locked in a world-wide battle for the future of the human race, as Judas prepares in the jungle for the Second Coming.

Which is not at all what anyone expects.

message 8: by Paula (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

Paula I second Erica´s nomination.The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

message 9: by ConnieD (new)

ConnieD (bookwithcat) | 564 comments I third Erica's nomination 🌞

message 10: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I'll nominate Resurrection Bay by Emma Viskic, the first in a series. Looks interesting - the main protagonist is profoundly deaf and teams up with an ex-cop to solve the murder.

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Britz | 1 comments I nominate Noir by Christopher Moore.

message 12: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales is nominated by Colin Beckett.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.