Laurel County Public Library discussion

Book Memes > This or That Thursday

Comments Showing 1-50 of 742 (742 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by LCPL (last edited Aug 16, 2019 06:16AM) (new)

LCPL Krystyna | 2310 comments Mod
Hi, book friends! This or That Thursday is a weekly challenge where you choose between two topics given each week.

message 2: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:25AM) (new)

This Thursday's (5/31/2018) topic is:
Hardcover vs. Paperback

message 3: by LCPL (last edited May 31, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

I find that while reading, paperback books are easier to handle and carry with you. As far as owning books, I tend to prefer hardcover. I think they look nice and are more durable.

message 4: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:25AM) (new)

This Thursday's (6/7/2018) topic is:
Physical book vs. e-book

message 5: by LCPL (new)

I prefer physical books. But, I also enjoy e-books. E-books are typically my go-to format if I am traveling. Otherwise, I usually just read a physical book.

message 6: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments .
Physical book vs. e-book

I chose e-books. Both types of books have good points. However, the e-books are easier to read. The text can be enlarged to any size. I can read an e-book in bed without my glasses (this is a big plus for me). Also, the light does not have to be on to read an e-book.

message 7: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: ".
Physical book vs. e-book

I chose e-books. Both types of books have good points. However, the e-books are easier to read. The text can be enlarged to any size. I can read an e-book in bed withou..."

That is very true! Those are some of the points that I love about e-books as well.

message 8: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Another thing about e-books that I forgot - You don't have to worry about getting to the library in the snow. Checkout and return all done from the comfort of your home.

message 9: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "Another thing about e-books that I forgot - You don't have to worry about getting to the library in the snow. Checkout and return all done from the comfort of your home."

Very true. You also don't have to worry about late fees or worrying about losing a book. There are many advantages of e-books. But, I love holding a physical book in my hands and you don't have to worry about charging a battery. Plus, physical books look really nice on the bookshelves. They're both great!

message 10: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Keeping the battery charged can be troublesome.

A little off topic - What will the far, far, far distant future look like for books? Only e-books?

message 11: by LCPL (new)

I have no idea, honestly. I think that books will still be prevalent in the future because so many people love them. I think e-books will still be prevalent, as well, because people love them and they are very convenient. I hope both stick around even in the far, far, far distant future.

message 12: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:25AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (6/14/18) is:
Book Series vs. Stand-Alone

message 13: by LCPL (new)

I typically prefer stand-alone books. I will read books in a series, too. But, I feel that some authors drag on a series that cold be summed up in 3 books, rather than 7+ books. I like both, as long as the series doesn't continue on unnecessarily.

What do you prefer to read: book series or stand-alones?

message 14: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments I prefer stand-alone books. I will read series but I don't like making a commitment to read an entire series. And I agree with Krystyna that some series drag on. For example, Sookie Stackhouse.

message 15: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:26AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (7/5/18) is:
Scheduled reading vs. Spontaneous reading

message 16: by LCPL (new)

I am more of a spontaneous reader because I am a mood reader. I carry a book with me everywhere so whenever I get the chance to read/get in the mood to read I always have one close by.

message 17: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Definitely spontaneous.

message 18: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:26AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (7/12/18) is:
Reading inside vs. reading outside

message 19: by LCPL (new)

I enjoy reading both, inside and outside. I always carry a book with me everywhere I go. My favorite place to read is at the beach. I find it very relaxing. I will take a book, or my Kindle, with me to the pool, to the beach, in the car, outside on my swing, or to a coffee shop. There are a variety of places I read outside of my house. I also enjoy reading inside, which usually occurs in my reading chair, on the couch, in bed, or at the kitchen table. Although I do enjoy reading outside, I would have to say my preference would probably be inside just because it is more comfortable, in my opinion.

Which do you prefer? Reading inside or outside.

message 20: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments I prefer reading inside. But, like Krystyna, I carry a book everywhere. You never know when you might have a moment to read.

message 21: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:26AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (7/19/18) is:
Reading on the couch vs. reading in the bed

message 22: by LCPL (new)

This one is a tough one for me to choose between. I love reading in both places but if I had to choose I would probably pick reading on the couch. I feel like I am less likely to fall asleep if I am reading on the couch. Also, I feel more comfortable drinking a beverage while reading if I am on the couch, instead of in the bed.

Which one do you prefer?

message 23: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Reading on the couch. For all the reasons Krystyna stated. I can't think of anything else to add.

message 24: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:26AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (7/26/18) is:
Keep reading a book to finish it vs. DNF'ing it (Did not finish)

message 25: by LCPL (new)

For me this is a difficult decision to make. I know that there isn't enough time to waste on reading a book that you're not enjoying and you could easily set it down and pick up something else. However, if I have already invested a significant amount of time in a book and I end up DNF'ing it then I kind of consider it a chunk of my time "wasted". Also, what happens if I end up DNF'ing a book and it gets better or would end up being a new favorite? I am struggling right now to finish a book that I have been reading all month. It is a fantasy book and I'm just not in the mood for fantasy at the moment. But, because I have so much time invested in reading this particular book, I don't want to stop until I have finished reading it.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you keep reading a book even if you're not enjoying it or it is taking you a long time to finish? Or do you DNF books?

message 26: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments DNF, most definitely. I don't force myself to continue reading a book that I am not enjoying. No point in wasting more time on it. There are too many good books out there. Also, I normally know fairly early on if I am going to like the book or not.

message 27: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (8/2/18) is:
Morning reader vs. night reader

message 28: by LCPL (new)

I try to read whenever I get the opportunity. If I have time in the morning to read, I feel like I am more productive then. However, I also try to read on my lunch break, in the evening, and before bed. But, I feel like I am more awake/aware and productive if I read in the morning.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you prefer reading in the morning or at night?

message 29: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments This is an opportunity moment for me. No preference.

message 30: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for This Thursday (9/27/18) is:
Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

message 31: by LCPL (last edited Sep 27, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

This one is kind of tough for me. I would have to say fiction. I definitely prefer fiction over nonfiction. However, there is one major exception, which is True Crime. For me to really be interested in nonfiction it has to be about something I am interested in. My nonfiction interests consist mostly of true crime and certain celebrity bios, like Reese Witherspoon, Lauren Graham, Anna Kendrick, Amy Schumer, and Lily Collins, to name a few. But on a regular basis, I find myself gravitating towards fiction over nonfiction. I also listen to true crime podcasts, and audio books sometimes, so that kind of helps with the nonfiction aspect of reading for me. For me to just pick up a book and read, it most likely has to be fiction.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you prefer reading fiction or nonfiction? Why?

message 32: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments I prefer fiction. They are usually more entertaining.

message 33: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for This Thursday (10/4/18) is:
Eating while reading vs. Drinking while reading

message 34: by LCPL (last edited Oct 04, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

Drinking while reading wins this round for me. I have not mastered the skill of eating while reading. I am so afraid that I will spill food on the pages of the book. Plus, I can't keep track of where I am in a book, if I try to eat while I read. Drinking while reading is much easier for me.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you prefer eating while reading or drinking while reading? Why?

message 35: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Drinking while reading. Most definitely! I spill food like crazy. Don't know what the deal is with that. But there is no way that I can eat and read.

message 36: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for This Thursday (10/11/18) is:
Books that make you laugh vs. books that make you cry

message 37: by LCPL (new)

This topic is an easy one for me. I would choose books that make me cry. A book can have a funny part in it and make me laugh. However, if a book can make me cry then I will give it a 5-star rating. In my opinion, I think it is more of a feat if a book can make the reader cry. It has to get the reader so invested and pack a strong, emotional punch. Also, I think that if a book can evoke such a strong emotion in a reader then it will definitely be more memorable.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you prefer books that make you laugh or books that make you cry? Why?

message 38: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (11/8/18) is:
Mass market paperback vs. trade paperback

message 39: by LCPL (new)

I prefer trade paperback books, especially if they are floppy paperbacks and stay open easily on their own (those are the best). I just find that trade size paperback books are much easier to read and the spine doesn't get as damaged as quickly. However, I do like the convenience of the size of a mass market paperback.

message 40: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments I prefer trade paperbacks. I went back and forth on this. The mass market paperback is cheaper, so I almost went with it. However, I have trouble reading smaller print, so I settled on the trade paperback.

message 41: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (12/13/18) is:
Character driven books vs. plot driven books

message 42: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (1/3/19) is:
Short books (under 300 pages) vs. long books (over 300 pages)

message 43: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Oh my. There is no way I could choose one over the other. For example, an excellent short book - Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx. An excellent long book - A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

message 44: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "Oh my. There is no way I could choose one over the other. For example, an excellent short book - Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx. An excellent long book - [book:A Pr..."

Yeah, it is a difficult choice. I tend to read longer books during the colder months...at least, that seems to be my trend.

message 45: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:28AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (1/17/19) is:
Books written by male authors vs. books written by female authors

message 46: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:28AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (1/24/19) is:
Audiobooks: Yes vs. No

message 47: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments Audiobooks are not for me. I tried them a couple of times and my mind wondered away from the story. Also, if I want to go back and look at something, I cannot.

It has been suggested to me to read along in the book while I listen to the audio. That sounds interesting. I might try it sometime. After all, if my eyesight fails, then I will need audiobooks.

message 48: by LCPL (new)

Debra wrote: "Audiobooks are not for me. I tried them a couple of times and my mind wondered away from the story. Also, if I want to go back and look at something, I cannot.

It has been suggested to me to read ..."

I have listened to some audiobooks on their own. At first I wasn't a fan either; but, over time I have really come to enjoy them. The narrator really makes or breaks it for me with audiobooks. I have also listened to an audio while following along in the book and I really enjoy that too. It keeps me focused much longer than just reading the book on my own. I tend to get through books quicker when I accompany it with the audiobook version.

message 49: by LCPL (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:28AM) (new)

The topic for this Thursday (1/31/19) is:
New release titles vs. Backlist titles

message 50: by Debra Diggs (new)

Debra Diggs | 1585 comments lol. I googled backlist. I have never heard the term before.

Anyway, yes to backlist titles. You have a better idea whether they are going to be a dud or a delight to read. Plus they are easier to get.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15