Play Book Tag discussion

The Siren
This topic is about The Siren
Archive: Other Books > The Siren - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I gave this book 4 stars because I went into it knowing that it was directed at teenagers with a "love always finds a way" plot. If you are expecting anything deeper than that you will be disappointed. But I loved The Selection series and so I definitely wanted to give it a try.

The premise of this book was that Kahlen is a siren who is sworn to serve the Ocean for 100 years in exchange for her life that the Ocean so graciously saved. She has to sing for the Ocean so that She can be fed by the deaths of people in ships. But then (of course) Kahlen falls in love with a human boy.

I feel like this is a book that had some horrific and deep elements that a younger audience would not necessarily pick up on because some life experience is required to see them. The Ocean kind of struck me as an abusive mother and Her control and manipulation was evident. So in the midst of this sweet young adult love story I was surprised to see this kind of sub-plotline. I am not even sure if it was intended to be honest. There was certainly no direct pointing to it. (view spoiler).

The dialogue where Kahlen had to use sign language wasn't very smooth which is a very common problem in books where a character is deaf/mute. It was a small thing but it bothered me. Overall a touching, feel good love story but only if you go into it remembering its audience.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I totally guilty-pleasure enjoyed The Selection series, but I'm not sure I could take a mermaid book seriously- even if it is YA.