Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
This topic is about Killers of the Flower Moon
Archive - Group Reads > Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann (with spoilers) - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited May 30, 2018 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann and your hostess is Erica.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann

Summary

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, the Osage rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.

Then, one by one, they began to be killed off. One Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, watched as her family was murdered. Her older sister was shot. Her mother was then slowly poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more Osage began to die under mysterious circumstances.

In this last remnant of the Wild West—where oilmen like J. P. Getty made their fortunes and where desperadoes such as Al Spencer, “the Phantom Terror,” roamed – virtually anyone who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered. As the death toll surpassed more than twenty-four Osage, the newly created F.B.I. took up the case, in what became one of the organization’s first major homicide investigations. But the bureau was then notoriously corrupt and initially bungled the case. Eventually the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to try to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including one of the only Native American agents in the bureau. They infiltrated the region, struggling to adopt the latest modern techniques of detection. Together with the Osage they began to expose one of the most sinister conspiracies in American history.

message 2: by Erica (last edited May 31, 2018 12:04AM) (new) - added it

Erica | 46 comments Hello everyone!

I am hosting this discussion for this book. I am not a native English speaker so I apologize my grammar mistakes.
Can't wait to start the book and have a lively discussion about it.

This book won the second place in Goodreads 2017 choice awards in a category Best History and Biography.
I started reading this book today and just finished the first chapter.

Since it is a true story I was surprised to find it reads more like a fiction book. What I mean is, it grips you from the start and the writer is describing for example the flowers etc in detail which perhaps is not what one would expect from a True Crime book. Like M.A.R.(in the no spoilers thread) I am glad there are photos in this book. It is a reminder that these terrible things really happened to people and we should not forget about them.

This book is not very long about 291 pages (hardback version) + pages for side notes bibliography.

It is interesting to see how this discussion is going to go now that there is a second thread with no spoilers.

Since I have only started this book I try not to read the spoiler section in too detail in the beginning. I am hoping to read this book quite fast since I find it very fascinating.

On a side note, this book made me curious about the author and I can see he has written two other books: The lost city of Z and The Devil and Sherlock Holmes.
Have anyone read these books?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Erica wrote: "On a side note, this book made me curious about the author and I can see he has written two other books: The lost city of Z and The Devil and Sherlock Holmes.
Have anyone read these books?"

I read The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon and I really enjoyed it. I bought The Devil & Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Murder, Madness & Obsession but haven't read it yet.

message 4: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1335 comments Mod
I finished this book this morning. I hesitate to say I "enjoyed" it. I think the author did an excellent job. It was a history lesson, along with following the crimes and the individuals involved. The history lesson came for me on two fronts, the founding of the FBI and J. Edgar Hoover's appointment (although that is not the focus, there was enough background that I didn't know) and the historical information regarding the Osage tribe.

I found the book interesting, it was a quick easy read for me, informative and the ending was interesting. Just when you thought the crimes had been solved the author takes us down another avenue altogether. That was an unexpected ending, that for me, provided an entirely different perspective on the events and the players, which I'm sure what his point.

Lisa Black (lisablackauthor) | 15 comments I really enjoyed this book. It's such an insightful glimpse into another way of life and another period of history.

Denise Mullins | 516 comments Powerful book about a topic that deserves much more publicity, but I guess until it's made into a made-for-TV movie with a star studded cast, it will remain relatively unknown. This tragedy ranks up there with the shame of internment camps and human rights violations perpetuated by the North Carolina Eugenics Board.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments I listened to the audible version. The story was told in three part using 3 narrators. Part one was narrated by a female voice followed by two different mail voices for parts two and three. The narrator choices did help to and engender a feeling of the indigenous people in part one, a cowboy for part two, and a journalist for part three. I really enjoyed the descriptive narrative and was surprised at the interesting twists and turns that developed. This was ingenious storytelling with the layered reviews.
I became very curious about the origins of the FBI and knowing a little bit more about J Edgar Hoover so it inspired me to look him up. Leonardo DiCaprio played J Edgar in the film J Edgar Hoover. Then, I discovered that Martin Scorsese has the rights to this and is developing it in conjunction with Leonardo DiCaprio. I look forward to seeing the film.

PattyMacDotComma | 404 comments I just wrote my review - what an amazing story and what a delight to find it's been told by such an experienced writer/investigative journalist. I gave it the full five stars!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I finished this one yesterday sitting in the car at my daughter's basketball practice. Really enjoyed it, especially the last 40 pages or so which I wish I could say I didn't see coming but unfortunately I suspected it all along.

Diane wrote: "I became very curious about the origins of the FBI ..."

If you're interested in the early days of the FBI, this book makes an excellent "pre-quel" to Public Enemies America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 by Bryan Burrough Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34 by Bryan Burrough which is much, much better than the movie version.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1619 comments Mod
Very interesting book and the writing is brilliant. Interesting and brazen that after release from prison Ernest returned to Osage County to live.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments Wow! What can you say about this book? It had me interested from beginning to end. But what a sad time in our history! The despicable acts that were targeted at the Osage. Sad how evil the human race can be.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Mcculloch | 3 comments I kept picking it up and reading and then putting it down as I was getting angry. What a heartbreaking story. While some attitudes have changed it is possible to see some have not changed enough when it comes to our native population. I liked some of the detail about native way of life. Well researched and important book.