Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

IQ (IQ, #1)
This topic is about IQ
Archive - Group Reads > IQ by Joe Ide (no spoilers) - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited May 30, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

Gem  | 1339 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about IQ by Joe Ide and your host is Sévérin.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide iQ by Joe Ide IQ by Joe Ide IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide

Summary

A resident of one of LA's toughest neighborhoods uses his blistering intellect to solve the crimes the LAPD ignores.
East Long Beach. The LAPD is barely keeping up with the neighborhood's high crime rate. Murders go unsolved, lost children unrecovered. But someone from the neighborhood has taken it upon himself to help solve the cases the police can't or won't touch.

They call him IQ. He's a loner and a high school dropout, his unassuming nature disguising a relentless determination and a fierce intelligence. He charges his clients whatever they can afford, which might be a set of tires or a homemade casserole. To get by, he's forced to take on clients that can pay.

This time, it's a rap mogul whose life is in danger. As Isaiah investigates, he encounters a vengeful ex-wife, a crew of notorious cutthroats, a monstrous attack dog, and a hit man who even other hit men say is a lunatic. The deeper Isaiah digs, the more far reaching and dangerous the case becomes.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Hello, I'm the discussion leader for IQ and a lover of investigation stories. I think IQ is the perfect book for summer.

Here is my short review of this book that I read lately:
Frankly, this book surprised me. I imagined myself in the same situation as Isaiah (IQ, the MC). How would I have reacted to everything happening to me? Could I have solved the attack on the crazy rapper faster than him? And this pit bulls trainer... Wow! What a story!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I'm in for this one but won't start reading for another week or so.

Bicky | 35 comments IQ is an interesting first book in a series, and leaves one wondering whether the series will improve or decline. In some ways, the author has set himself a difficult task. Situated in a neighbourhood which we all know is full of sad and even sadder stories, he has tried a tone where light heartedness is possible with even some genuine slapstick moments. I hope he is able to continue with this and not sink into another tale of inner city despair. His protagonist Isaiah Quintabe is not a run of the mill character from the hood, as his main attribute is a sharp intelligence tempered by gentleness, who is the local solver of problems normally of importance only to his ‘clients’ for which he might be remunerated by variety of means. The book deals with two periods of IQ’s life, interspersed with each other. One is the basic tragedy of his life which derailed him from a life normally due to a person with such intelligence and the other is his first case with a chance at big money. To some extent the author is successful in establishing a basis for further books in this series. The problem I find with this book is that too many of the characters are clichéd (the unravelling star, the gangster fond of using big words badly etc.) and the portrayal of women is particularly weak. I am not qualified to discuss whether the locale is authentic but it was not jarring and I hope to read the next book in the series Righteous soon. I hope there is still a role for IQ’s friend Dodson.

Erica | 46 comments I got this book and thought when I read the synopsis that it is not for me but I'll give it a go.
I absolutely loved the book and nearly read it in one go. Then I went and bought the second book in the series and I'm happy that the third book is coming out in October.

message 6: by Sévérin (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Bicky wrote: "IQ is an interesting first book in a series, and leaves one wondering whether the series will improve or decline. In some ways, the author has set himself a difficult task. Situated in a neighbourh..."

Excellent comment. I imagine Tarantino producing a movie out of this book It'd be great!

And Dodson is the trouble maker, but he is also at the base of the most funny scenes.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Erica wrote: "I got this book and thought when I read the synopsis that it is not for me but I'll give it a go.
I absolutely loved the book and nearly read it in one go. Then I went and bought the second book i..."

Is the second as good as the first one?

message 8: by Bicky (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bicky | 35 comments IQ answers a question which has been bothering me and others:

““Can I ask you something?” Kaylin said. “There’s a question I hear all the time but I’ve never heard a satisfactory answer.”
Stokely took a hit and held it in. “Yeah, what?” he said, squeezing out the words, his eyes watering.
“How come it’s okay for you to use the N-word but it’s not okay for someone like me?”
“Let me make it real for you,” Stokely said. “If a nigga calls me a nigga I know what he means. But if you call me a nigga you might mean nigga.””
At first glance I just passed over this passage but on second thought I realized that the question had been perfectly answered.

I hope this comment is not divisive. I am a very new member of Goodreads and one of the things I really like when reading the reviews and comments is that there is no rancour, abuse etc. so common in other Internet discussions. I trust the moderator to remove this comment if it is felt that there is even a possibility of this happening.

Viva | 7 comments Really?

Bicky | 35 comments Viva wrote: "Really?"

Which part?

Bicky | 35 comments Viva wrote: "Really?"

Sorry. I now realize which word was offensive. My only excuse is that I am an Indian but still in this context to use an 'n' word was unforgivable.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments About N word, I found the question by Kaylin funny. That's something that I already asked a black guy once, and he only laughed, not able to give me a good answer. loll

I just remind you that this is the "no spoilers" section, so you shouldn't write quotations here. Try to do so in the "with spoilers" section instead. Thanks!

message 13: by Viva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viva | 7 comments Donald Glover has a comedy special out called Weirdo (on Netflix) and he addresses the N word. His take on it is pretty funny.

message 14: by Viva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viva | 7 comments I’m on Chapter 3 of this book and so far : love it! It moves quickly.

Bicky | 35 comments Viva wrote: "Donald Glover has a comedy special out called Weirdo (on Netflix) and he addresses the N word. His take on it is pretty funny."

Thanks. Saw it. Not only funny but quite instructive.

message 16: by Viva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Viva | 7 comments :)

message 17: by Sévérin (last edited Jun 11, 2018 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Viva wrote: "I’m on Chapter 3 of this book and so far : love it! It moves quickly."

Happy that you love it, Viva. I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea, so I'm happy when other readers say that the love it too. :)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Starting this one today.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Randy wrote: "Starting this one today."

I hope you'll love it as much as I did. :)

message 20: by Sévérin (last edited Jun 16, 2018 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Is there other readers who can provide us feedback?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I read the first chapter today. I enjoyed it quite a bit especially since I happen to live in Long Beach and I can easily visualize many of the settings and streets the author mentions. My daughter attends high school near the Eastside area which isn't as bad as it is made out to be but also not the kind of place you'd walk around with hundred dollar bills hanging out of your pockets. For more on this specific neighborhood see the book or movie Freedom Writers.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Randy wrote: "I read the first chapter today. I enjoyed it quite a bit especially since I happen to live in Long Beach and I can easily visualize many of the settings and streets the author mentions. My daughter..."

Is Freedom Writers by Erin Gruwell or by Frederic P. Miller?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Sévérin wrote: "Is Freedom Writers by Erin Gruwell or by Frederic P. Miller?"

Erin Gruwell

message 24: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Started this yesterday in audio and am about 10% through. I'm liking it so far. Look forward to the spoiler conversation when I'm finished.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Suzy wrote: "Started this yesterday in audio and am about 10% through. I'm liking it so far. Look forward to the spoiler conversation when I'm finished."

Are the readers good? I've never bought audiobooks.

message 26: by Suzy (last edited Jun 26, 2018 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Sévérin wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Started this yesterday in audio and am about 10% through. I'm liking it so far. Look forward to the spoiler conversation when I'm finished."

Are the readers good? I've never bought au..."

The narrator, Sullivan Jones, is outstanding at bringing this to life. For this one, I'm certain to be enjoying it more than if I were reading in print! Check out a sample: https://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...

About 70% of books I read are in audio, sometimes I get a print copy from the library to refer to if needed. (Like last month's The Shadow of the Wind.) I'm lucky to live in a city that has a fabulous library where you can access audiobooks digitally at no cost. I sometimes buy a copy from Audible when not available from my library. I recommend trying a listen sometime!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I'm about a third of the way through and really enjoying it so far. I was hoping to wrap this one up in June but I think it's going to bleed over into July.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments I hope that other people who are finishing this book will go to the "With spoilers" section to give their feedback about this book.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Suzy wrote: "Sévérin wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Started this yesterday in audio and am about 10% through. I'm liking it so far. Look forward to the spoiler conversation when I'm finished."

Are the readers good? I've..."

Thanks for this information. Maybe I'll try audiobook next time. :)

Erica | 46 comments I have not read the second book yet because I have so many books piled up on my desk that I need to read, but hopefully I will soon.

message 31: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I'm only 30 min away from finishing! I'll then port over to the spoiler thread - can't wait to talk about it in more detail.

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments Erica wrote: "I have not read the second book yet because I have so many books piled up on my desk that I need to read, but hopefully I will soon."

I have the sequel too and so many books and so little time. :(

message 33: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Sévérin wrote: "Erica wrote: "I have not read the second book yet because I have so many books piled up on my desk that I need to read, but hopefully I will soon."

I have the sequel too and so many books and so l..."

I just got the sequel from the library (audio). Hopefully will listen soon, but you're right about all those books! I'm listening to Death on the Nile for one of the other conversations in this group. It's very fun.