Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Duo Team Challenge (6/12/18-?) > Andrea & Hannah (I) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited May 30, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9611 comments Mod
Andrea & Hannah, this is your thread for chatting and planning. :)

Link to Review Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited May 30, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

RULES

*Team Roles: Assigned categories can be divvied up however each team would like. Keep in mind that for a team to complete a category, only one member of the duo needs to read a book for that category.
*Page Count: Unless the category you are completing gives a specific page count, there is NOT a minimum page count for this challenge.
*Format: You can read any format you like (eBook, audiobook, print, etc).
*Genre: As long as your book matches the instructions for the category you are completing, you can read any genre you like (picture books, poetry books, manga, travel books, fiction, nonfiction... anything goes!).
*Read Dates: You can use books you've started reading at any time, however you must finish the books on or after the challenge start date.
*Rereads: Books read for this challenge must be books you are reading for the first time (no rereads).

So, as long as you will be finishing your book for the first time during this challenge, and your book works for the category you are completing, go for it! :)

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited May 30, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Categories:

*Read a historical novel
*Read a suspense novel
*Read a contemporary novel
*Read a Biblical fiction novel
*Read a fantasy/sci-fi novel
*Read a YA novel
*Read a book with 100-199 pages
*Read a book with 200-299 pages
*Read a book with 300-399 pages
*Read a book with 400+ pages

*Read a book that has a man and woman on the cover
*Read a book with a single woman on the cover
*Read a book with a single man on the cover
*Read a book with a person on the cover NOT showing their face
*Read a book with a moon on the cover
*Read a book with a water on the cover
*Read a book with a bridge on the cover
*Read a book with a mostly white cover
*Read a book with a mostly black cover
*Read a book with a mostly blue cover

*Read a book with a mostly green cover
*Read a book with a mode of transportation (car, boat, bicycle, etc.) on the cover
*Read a book with a dog or cat on the cover or in the title
*Read a book with a baby on the cover or in title
*Read a book with three or more people on the cover
*Read a book with a road (dirt or paved) on the cover
*Read a book with a dress on the cover
*Read a book without people on the cover
*Read a book with a hat on the cover
*Read a book with a fence on the cover

*Read a book that DOESN'T have the words "A, An, or The" in the title
*Read a book that DOES have the words "A, An, or The" in the title
*Read a book with a family relationship in the title (son, daughter, mother, etc)
*Read a book that has "And" in the title
*Read a book with a one word title
*Read a book with a hyphen in the title (e.g. Christmas Cover-Up)
*Read a book with an apostrophe in the title (e.g. Grace's Pictures)
*Read a book with a number in the title (e.g. The 30-Day Praise Challenge / Three Little Words)
*Read a book with a profession in the title (Doctor, midwife, etc)
*Read a book with a double letter in the title (e.g. Falling for You - double "L"' in Falling)

*Read a book published in the spring (March-June)
*Read a book published in the summer (June-September)
*Read a book published in the fall (September-December)
*Read a book published in the winter (December-March)
*Read a book that is the first book in its series
*Read a book that is the last book in its series
*Read a book that is NOT part of a series
*Read a book that is part of a trilogy (only three books in the series)
*Read a book that is part of a series with 4+ books
*Read a book with 5 or more vowels in the title (e.g. The Rose of Winslow Street)

*Read a book that is set during a war
*Read a book set OUTSIDE the USA
*Read a book with a police officer or soldier (must include text which mentions them)
*Read a book with a doctor or nurse (must include text which mentions them)
* Read a book with something musical on the cover or in the title (i.e. an instrument, musical notes, etc.)
*Read a debut novel
*Read a book that was not originally published this year (2018)
*Read a book with stars on the cover
*Read a book with a suitcase/luggage on the cover
*Read a book with an author with three names (must be on the cover)
e.g. Sisterchicks on the Loose (Sisterchicks, #1) by Robin Jones Gunn

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited May 30, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Challenge officially starts 6/12/18, so make sure you finish your books on or after that date.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Thanks, Mel! Will the review threads be unlocked on the start date? That's a neat feature to use in cases like this.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Thanks for the shiny new thread. :)

message 8: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Thanks, Mel! Will the review threads be unlocked on the start date? That's a neat feature to use in cases like this."

Yes. They will get unlocked right around the challenge start. :)

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Awesome, thanks, Mel!

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Hannah, I'm super excited about this game and being teamed up with you. I don't think I'm choosing my first book until the game starts, or a day or two prior. It's going to be tricky to recall that I'm only using review books!

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments I know...I already had books popping into my head for categories that weren’t review ones... I’m also excited about teaming up for this one!

message 12: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

I think it is great that you guys signed up for intense -- it is definitely a challenge to use only review books. I know you guys can do it, though! :) I plan on signing up for intense, too.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Thanks, Mel! I've got over 140 NetGalley books, so I'll be using that list for this challenge.

message 14: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Thanks, Mel! I've got over 140 NetGalley books, so I'll be using that list for this challenge."

I have around 250. O.o Yikes! I've been trying to get that number down and haven't downloaded a new one since May 2nd (sure that won't last for long, lol!).

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Thus, the creation of this challenge. I'm so glad you thought of it!

message 16: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Thus, the creation of this challenge. I'm so glad you thought of it!"

Exactly. :)

message 17: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited May 31, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

I created a spreadsheet, which you guys can use if you want. :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Thank you, Mel! That will be very handy. Does it automatically save when we type stuff in, or do we need to click a save button? I've not used Google Docs before.

message 19: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Thank you, Mel! That will be very handy. Does it automatically save when we type stuff in, or do we need to click a save button? I've not used Google Docs before."

You go to the sheet and type the info in. It automatically saves to the drive. :)

message 20: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

I find it helpful to track challenges. :D

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Awesome, thank you! Mel, I appreciate the time it took to make those pages for everyone. You're so amazing!

message 22: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Awesome, thank you! Mel, I appreciate the time it took to make those pages for everyone. You're so amazing!"

You're welcome!

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Hannah, one of the books I'm currently reading will be the first one I read for this game. It works for several different categories, but I was thinking about using it for #43 published in fall (October). Are you okay with that?
The Mystery Finding True Love in a World of Broken Lovers by Lacey Sturm

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Sounds good to me!

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Thanks!

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments I'm going to attempt to finish my first book sometime tomorrow. I'm already tired of The Mystery and ready to have done with it, and I'm only at 41%.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Ah, sorry. :(

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments I thought this book might go either way, actually. I was hopeful for a more positive vibe, but oh well. Maybe I will better enjoy the next one.

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Sad! The first book was pretty cheerful.

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments A positive vibe about liking the book, rather than a positive vibe within e book. I knew it wasn't intended to be chipper. It's really hard to follow her random thoughts and ignore the bad language she uses.

message 31: by Hannah (last edited Jun 12, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Lay it aside and work on another for a bit? Since the last one was a bit of a dud, it's easy to feel downer. :)

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments I've done just that, focusing on a chapter of Hidden Figures (not for this game), but I'll be getting back to The Mystery in a few minutes, because I want to get done with it, plus I need it for challenges due at the end of the month.

How is your first book coming?

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Coming well! :) Five chapters on one and four on the other. I'd like to finish both today if I can.

One of those is Falling for You...I can use it for the double letters category it was suggested for or for: woman on cover, dress on cover, 300-399 pgs, book from trilogy, etc.

Any preference where I do or don't post it?

The other is my musical book, Justice Betrayed.

message 34: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Anyplace is good with me. Sounds like you're already cruising right along. Sweet!

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments 3 down; 57 to go. We've got this!

I'm reading Colors of Christmas Two Contemporary Stories Celebrate the Hope of Christmas by Olivia Newport next. It has 320 pages, so I'll use it for #9, 300-399 pages.

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Sounds good! Next up for me is my moon book.

I'm starting River to Redemption by Ann H. Gabhart next. Shall we count that as child on cover?

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Definitely! That is a darling cover for that category. Great find!

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Is that a category? I see a "baby on the cover" but not a "child on the cover." Am I missing it?

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments It would work for "water on the cover," if you like. We should surely be able to count it for something!

message 40: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Ah, oops! It would work for:
-People not showing face
-Published in summer (July)
-Water on cover
-Title that doesn’t have a, an, or the.

Any preferences?

message 41: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

River to Redemption would also work for a book with 5 or more vowels in the title. 😊

message 42: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Thanks, Mel!

Hannah, what about using it for the summer one? Then we won't have to keep checking for that one.

message 43: by Hannah (last edited Jun 13, 2018 08:33PM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Yep, I’ll use it for published in summer. Thanks, Andrea and Mel!

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Awesome. I'll mark your name by that one in my notebook. Do you want to fill in the details on the spreadsheet?

message 45: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments I'm claiming water with Quest for Leviathan by Amanda Tero . I'll update our spreadsheet with my new titles tonight.

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Awesome. So glad we're filling in some of the cats.

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Andrea, do you have a book for the 100-199 category? Because I have one...it would also work for transportation.

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Go ahead and use the book for the 100-199 category, as I'm not sure I have one. I think that's a tougher one than the transportation, and I'll be happy we'll have that one checked off.

By the way, I got on a really great groove with Colors of Christmas today. I'm at about 25% and craving more of the story.

message 49: by Hannah (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:20AM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments Very nice!

I'm stuck on two review books, so I picked up another and have already blazed into 40%. I'll figure out later what it works for.
Weaver's Needle by Robin Caroll

Edit:
Maybe apostrophe in title/profession in title/etc...
I'll look at the whole list in a bit.

message 50: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Apostrophe sounds good, if we don't see something trickier it can be used for. I'm so glad that one's a quick read. I bought a copy last year, because it sounded so adventurous.

I'm nearing 60% on my book, but have had to set it aside till I get other challenge books done. Only a bit over a week till June's over, I can't believe!

« previous 1