Dostoevsky Fan Group discussion

The House of the Dead
This topic is about The House of the Dead
Thoughts on the House of the Dead

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (last edited May 30, 2018 07:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Griffin (estheticapostle) | 2 comments Hello,

Below, I have listed some of my favorite lines from Dostoevsky's House of the Dead and added a few thoughts of my own to reflect my identity as of May, 30th, 2018. I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of these famous lines.

"Man is a creature that can get accustomed to anything, and I think that is the best definition of him."
Dostoevsky is known for his powerful psychological ability and this seems to cut to the core. We are people who are defined by what we become accustomed to.

"No man lives, can live, without having some object in view, and making efforts to attain that object. But when object there is none, and hope is entirely fled, anguish often turns a man into a monster."
I believe this speaks to the day more than anything. The increasing horrors we've become accustomed to such as mass shootings, specifically of children (something that would disgust Dostoevsky more than anything) is likely due to men living without an object and so becoming monsters.

"I may be mistaken but it seems to me that a man may be judged by his laugh, and that if at first encounter you like the laugh of a person completely unknown to you, you may say with assurance that he is good."
I absolutely love this and I think it's fair to say all of my friendships were based on laughter.

"Reality is infinitely diverse, compared with even the subtlest conclusions of abstract thought, and does not allow of clear-cut and sweeping distinctions. Reality resists classification."
I think this is along the same lines as Tolstoy's quote, there is only one, we just call this one by many names. As the logic follows, there can really only be one noun, everything else, including us, are verbs.

There are plenty more great lines but I will start with these. I highly recommend The Book of The Dead to anyone with an interest in Dostoevsky's time in prison or prison life in general, I would bet not much has changed for the life of the convicted.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah W | 2 comments I have a question: at the end of the novel Alexandr petrovitch refers to his comrade entering and leaving prison with him, but I don't know who he is referring to. I don't remember him mentioning a comrade throughout the book Can anyone help me?

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Griffin (estheticapostle) | 2 comments Sarah wrote: "I have a question: at the end of the novel Alexandr petrovitch refers to his comrade entering and leaving prison with him, but I don't know who he is referring to. I don't remember him mentioning a..."

I think it is referring to Sushilov.

This may help: https://www.enotes.com/topics/house-d...

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah W | 2 comments Thanks so much!