Philip José Farmer's Wold Newton Universe discussion

Hecataeus of Miletus, an early Wold Newtonian

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Emmons | 40 comments Mod
Doing some research for fiction and I came across this figure Hecataeus, an ancient Greek of the sixth century BCE. This article's mostly about his work as a geographer, but I thought this snippet was positively Farmerian:

Hecataeus designed a chronological system in which the gods and heroes were organized. It was not the first attempt to systematize Greek myths and legends, but it was influential. Most scholars -to start with Herodotus- accepted Hecataeus' chronology.

The system of mythography was published in four volumes called, get this, Genealogies. Some of the surviving fragments are floating around the Internet, but unless you read 6th century BCE Greek, they're probably not of much interest.

message 2: by Win (new)

Win Scott Eckert (win_scott_eckert) | 37 comments Phil was doing modern mythology, organizing all of his favorite heroes into a system that made sense to him (and many others!).

message 3: by Will (new)

Win wrote: "Phil was doing modern mythology, organizing all of his favorite heroes into a system that made sense to him (and many others!)."

Totally. I thought it was interesting that "mythography" is a term used to describe Hecataeus' work. I think it's pretty cool that the impulse to catalog stories, relate them to one another, and even do mythographic family trees is such an ancient and venerable practice.

message 4: by Win (new)

Win Scott Eckert (win_scott_eckert) | 37 comments It is very cool, indeed, and is also supporting evidence that we are not as wacky as some other fans make us out to be. ;-)

message 5: by Will (new)

I suspect if we look hard enough we can find his spot in the family tree.