Star Wars Book Club discussion

Movies > Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILER THREAD)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Twachtman (lizzietwachtman) | 186 comments Mod
Hey Gang!!
So...who's seen Solo and what did you think?
This is a thread for all kinds of thoughts and spoilers, so let it all out!
Here's my hot take:

I walked in with very low expectations. I wasn't excited about Alden's portrayal of Han. I didn't want to see a love story between Han and anyone else besides Leia and I just felt overall that a Solo movie was widely unnecessary and inconsequential.
But I walked out having really enjoyed myself. So I ended up pleasantly surprised all around!!
I didn't think i was gonna be able to take Woody Harrelson in a Star War, even though I enjoy him as an actor, it didn't seem a good fit. But I liked his character.

The love story angle was meh for me, but Qi-Ra's character arc was really great!! Loved where she ended up in the end and that CAMEO by Maul!!! WHHHHAT??? Equally loved that it tied to the greater universe and wondered if they are doing a little more Marvel esque world building that felt out of the Star Wars brand. But I still ended up liking the cameo ultimately. Cause Darth Maul was my favorite prequel character, even though he was so short lived. I always felt it was such a mistake to kill him off and when they brought him back in the Clone Wars, I was very happy about it!!!

All in all, Alden still didn't feel like Han to me, even a younger Han. He was too plucky and not scoundrelly enough. But I enjoyed him as an actor and thought the movie was very funny.

Now...I absolutely LOVED Donald Glover as Lando!! Feel like it could have been a Lando stand alone movie and I would have done cartwheels out of the theater. Give him a romance, give him an arc. Loved everything about him. (maybe minus the insinuation that there is human/droid sex going on) but that's just me ;)

So...what did you guys think???

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (jtefft) I saw Solo a couple of times and I was pleased with it. I said early that I thought the biggest problem with the potential success of this film would be the fan's willingness to see another actor play Han and after 40 years with Harrison Ford, that's no small ask.

While my fandom has not diminished for any Star Wars or Marvel material, my attitude about what I am being exposed to has changed a bit. The Last Jedi made me realize that sometimes we as fans get a little too hung up on what we expect and desire and forget that it's the storyteller's job to entertain us.

So, I went to Solo with one mission, don't worry about who's playing Han and just see if I enjoy the movie. Mission accomplished and I enjoyed it so much I went again over the weekend.

Highlights for me included seeing Han enlist in the Imperial armed forces where he was given his legendary last name. His first meeting with Chewbacca (I have been waiting for this for 40 years). The amount of screen time, dialogue and action Chewie was given (again, 40 years). The meeting with Lando. Lando as portrayed by Donald Glover. Han losing then eventually winning the Falcon. The Kessel Run. And of course, the cameo that beautifully tied Phantom Menace and The Clone Wars more tightly into the story. And, who else saw the perfect opportunity for either a 2nd Solo movie or perhaps a first Maul movie to continue the arc. I hope they take the opportunity to make this happen. Like Liz eluded to, I could use a little more Maul in my life.

I was impressed by Alden and Woody. They both did well. Woody was really able to show his acting chops here and I thought his last scene was well done. I was a little surprised by the starpower of the cast. Star Wars so frequently brings in little known actors, but you had 3 or 4 bigger names in prominent roles for this outing. I'm glad they cast it as they did, but I was a little surprised when I thought about it later.

I've always thought if I could be any character from Star Wars, other than a powerful Jedi, it would be Chewbacca and this film reaffirmed that for me (although at 43 years old my desire to be a 7'+ tall Wookie has waned a bit). He got to show his true might and we got to see his softer side where he yearns for his family/tribe. I found that touching. Having a younger more nimble actor representing Chewie made him seem more active, more lively, but the mannerisms that Chewie is so famous for are still there such as the head tilt, the throwing up arms in frustration, the aggressive attack first mentality such as at the Falcon's Hologame table. Chewie is in good hands.

Please understand, I am not being critical of the passion others feel for Star Wars, I am simply explaining that I have decided to look at the Star Wars and Marvel films a little differently and as a result, I now feel I may have the freedom to enjoy them a little bit more. I believe for me this was the case with Solo, because I can't wait for it to come out on iTunes in a few months.

message 3: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Roberts | 9 comments Yeah, I thought it was really good. Not my favorite movie, but still a good movie with plenty of action and emotion. I thought it was a fun adventure movie, which is exactly what it set out to be.

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad | 12 comments I don’t have too many gripes about this movie, but I found L3 to be a bit overbearing at times. But overall this was a solid movie, especially if we base it off all the production issues.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (jtefft) L3 wasn’t my favorite either.

message 6: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 59 comments In 2003 i saw Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions, sequels to my all time favourite movie The Matrix. And after watching them i decided to always go to the movies with low expectations no matter what the trailers made me feel. Fiftin years later, i'm still doing it and it works (for me).

In my positives, Alden nailed it as Han Solo, it was one of my worries but i think he did a great job. Donald Glover was amazing as Lando, it almost sounded like Billy Dee Williams.
Everything about Han and Chewie was awesome, how they met, their exchanges, when they piloted the Falcon together for the first time gave me chills (in the best way posible).
The rest of the cast did an excelent job too, i was a little bit worried about Emilia clarke because she didn't shine in anithing except for Game of Thrones but she was wonderful as Qi'ra. Val and Rio were really good too, it was a shame they only stayed arround for the first act. Woody Harrelson is Woody Harrelson, he can't do wrongs, i hope they relice a novel or comic about thouse three, it would be so cool. L3 didn't bother me that much, i didn't like that she was talking about droid liberation ALL THE TIME but she was fine and i liked her relationship with Lando.

Darth Maul baby YEAHH!!!!!! finally we get a tie-in with a tv show. I don't know if it was necesary for him to turn on his lightsaber, it was weird, maybe hi was trying to scare Qi'ra but i don't know. Loved his cameo and i hope they keep doing tie-ins like this one in future instalments

In the negatives, the way he got his name wasn't the best one, it's not a full negative for me but it's closer to the negatives than the positives. The first part of the first act was kinda slow and after a while the movie looked more like a check list with all the things that happened like Hand meeting Chrwie, Han meeting Lando, the Kessel run, exc.

Overall, i have a blast watching this movie, i got out happier than when i saw The Last Jedi or Rogue One.
It was a fun adventure, with good action and funny bits, i want to see it again soon.
I think the reviews were kinda harsh on the movie, after The Last Jedi and now Solo, it looks like Star Wars got into this state where hating it is the cool thing now, just like with the DC movies.

message 7: by Chad (new)

Chad | 12 comments I also felt like this movie had a Clone Wars tv show feel to it. Maul, of course, Auura Sing and even the Pikes. Having watched The Clone Wars, 3 times and Rebels, it felt sooo good to see Dave Filoni get some more recognition in an area other than animation.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (jtefft) You’re right on. I completely agree.

message 9: by Chad (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 4 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I'd give a 9 out of 10. It kinda bugs me that the media is calling it a flop even though it hauled over 110 million in its first 5 days. I know that is well short of Rogue One... but who cares. This is a quality movie. People are to busy grilling and camping Memorial Day weekend to go to the movies.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts was when Han shot first... kinda clears up the mess Lucas made out of Han's dealings with Greedo.

I've always liked the parts in the new movies and the books that have tie-ins to the originals... so yeah... seeing Han meet Chewy, Han meeting Lando, winning the Falcon in a game of Sabac, making the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, seeing the beginning of the rebellion (and finding out Han actually funded the beginning of the rebellion), getting a glimpse of Darth Maul... and then seeing Warwick Davis getting in on the action. I also read that Anthony Daniels was one of the Wookie's on Kessel maintaining his run as being the only person to be in all of the Star Wars movies.

I thought Ron Howard did a great job with this movie. Not sure why so many people are talking about how these new movies suck. I thought the script was great and I think Lawrence Kasdan did a fantastic job. I wish Lucas would have had Kasdan work on Episodes I, II, & III... they would have turned out much better. Kasdan wrote the screenplay for everyone's favorite, Empire Strikes Back.

The story moved along nicely with no real gaps. The dialogue helped keep things moving and it really wasn't a complicated story. I thought L3 was a good character... I think it is pretty realistic to see droids with personality. We're not to many years away from that right now. Even today, programmers are giving virtual assistants like Alexa personality quarks and they have only been around for a few years. Give it a few decades and people will become friends with their AI...

Anyway... excellent movie all around and I am looking forward to the next movie in the Solo Series... assuming they didn't leave us hanging just to end it. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more of Darth Maul in the next Solo movie and wouldn't that be cool if Ahsoka Tano or Obi-wan made an appearance... with their connection to Darth Maul and all...

message 10: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Roberts | 9 comments Chad wrote: "I don’t have too many gripes about this movie, but I found L3 to be a bit overbearing at times. But overall this was a solid movie, especially if we base it off all the production issues."

Yeah. I don't mind her wanting droids to have a choice, but she just seemed kind of too pushy and loud about her self and what she was doing. I honestly was glad when she "died" in the movie if only because she was sort of annoying.

message 11: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 57 comments I really enjoyed the Solo movie. I feel it was fun and within the lines of the story. It answered some unanswered questions like how did he meet Chewbacca? How did he get the millineum falcon? And others. The Lando character was very good.