AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Puritan Witch: The Redemption of Rebecca Eames (The Puritan Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Puritan Witch
The Puritan Chronicles: The Puritan Mindset

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Peni Renner (penijo_renner) | 26 comments The first obstacle I had to face was climbing out of my 21st century head and squeezing into the narrow 17th century mindset, particularly when it came to the attitude the white colonists had about the Native Americans.
Even as a child learning how Columbus 'discovered' America, and after learning I am descended from 2 men who arrived on the Mayflower, I have always thought, "But we Europeans had no right to come over here in the first place."
My forefathers and foremothers of course felt differently. It was God's destiny that they come to the New World, and the Native Americans, at least in Puritan eyes, were Satan's minions whose heathen souls needed to be saved.
At first I considered giving Rebecca Eames my views on the wrongs done to Native Americans, but I just couldn't see a Puritan woman thinking that way, so I left it alone.
Native Americans play a bigger part in the following 2 books and I try to paint them in a fair light, and I hope I have succeeded!

message 2: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol | 87 comments I love to read about what it was like to live in the 17th & 18th
century: the customs, food, dress, dialogues and interrelationships.
But I am so use to the 21st century don’t know if I could survive back then.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Such a great observation, thanks Peni.

A question for all of us writers: How do you write about characters you fundamentally disagree with, without becoming preachy?