Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
This topic is about Oathbringer
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Oathbringer [June 25, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited May 30, 2018 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 2: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 18088 comments Mod
3 BRs in 7 months... we really love Sanderson around here :)

message 4: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm going to try and do a reread around this time. I think I'm going to give the audiobook a try.

Virginie | 5795 comments Won't have time for a re-read but I'll follow the discussion :)

Miche | 3178 comments I am tempted again. ;-)

message 7: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian | 1211 comments In

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Looking forward to this... so much easier to catch details when you already know the broad strokes...

message 9: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments The audio of this came available, so I think I'm going to have to start earlier than expected. I will probably not get it finished in the 11 days I have the book and will have to get it out again. Anyone interested in starting earlier?

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I'm already behind my schedule because last 3 days I couldn't find time for anything :(( Sadly no.. But I'll probably postpone other books and start this on time :)

message 11: by Sha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sha | 1522 comments IN~

Wasn't able to do it for a long time because reasons. It's not even really a re-read as much as half a first read, because my dumb brain decided to throw a fit.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments I will join. will be a reread, hopefully this will make me see things that i missed on my own.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments Sedat wrote: "I'm already behind my schedule because last 3 days I couldn't find time for anything :(( Sadly no.. But I'll probably postpone other books and start this on time :)"

this start on 25, you are not behind schedule...

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Manju wrote: "Sedat wrote: "I'm already behind my schedule because last 3 days I couldn't find time for anything :(( Sadly no.. But I'll probably postpone other books and start this on time :)"

this start on 25..."

I meant my schedule for the month :) I'm like 3 book behind, jeez I shouldn't have checked :(

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm always ahead or behind... it's hard to stay on schedule...

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I noticed :) though I were going on schedule so long but got burned out a little and took a no reading day, 3 of them lol

message 17: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I will join too :) I'm afraid it will take me forever to read this, but at least I will have a lot of spoilers taggs to open when everyone else is done :)

Daniel | 1536 comments Going to join as well. Hoping a buddy read adds clarity lol.

Sergio (sergiof) | 34 comments Is everyone ready to start this book tomorrow or what????

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes SIR!

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments Am starting today.

message 22: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Rereading this one with you guys. Just read the prologue so far. I'm going to be super slow, but looking forward to a second read.

Daniel | 1536 comments Finished with chapter four and it is a reread for me. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started my re-read tonight... through the 2nd flashback... the first flashback is alright, but in general, I don't like the flashbacks in this book as much as precious... (view spoiler)

But at least I can pay more attention to scenes and certain characters to glean more details...

Flashback 1: re-readers: (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Iain wrote: "I started my re-read tonight... through the 2nd flashback... the first flashback is alright, but in general, I don't like the flashbacks in this book as much as precious... [spoilers removed]

But ..."

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Here's a question I never thought I'd be contemplating...

The Rosharan calendar is 500 days, split into 10 months of 5 weeks of 10 days... 10x 50 day months... and Shallan is talking about her menstrual cycle...

This had me wondering if cycles are longer on Roshar, since a "few weeks" is 20-30+ days, not 14-21... could also be a case of Sanderson not paying attention to his calendar while writing, and none of his assistants catching it... or just not considering menstrual cycles THAT MUCH in his writing process...

Moving on... I don't think I'm picking up many new details, so far... just enjoying the re-read and the things to come...

The Battle (view spoiler) is my favorite display of Windrunner powers in action, even as I still love the arena fight in WoR more... just getting to see (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments @ lain now that is paying attention!

These books have some of the best actions scenes I have ever read.

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel wrote: "@ lain now that is paying attention!

These books have some of the best actions scenes I have ever read."

Peter did a blog post about the Cosmere Spreadsheet last year... explaining how they keep the calendar straight both on Roshar, and in the larger Cosmere narrative... and the trouble entailed with Roshar's calendar and scheduling the Storms... it's where I learned the timeline issues with Way of Kings (Shallan's story starts first, since she is on a boat journey... then Kaladin's since he's in the slave caravan and then all his time in Bridge 4... and finally Dalinar's starts while Kaladin is strung up to die in a Storm... and that means chapter 12 and 54 happen around the same time (or something like that))

message 29: by Daniel (last edited Jun 27, 2018 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments Tis the reason for BRs-you learn a lot more than you would all by yourself! Thanks for the timeline info.

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jun 27, 2018 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel wrote: "Tis the reason for BRs-you learn a lot more than you would all by yourself! Thanks for the timeline info."

Speaking of things to pick up on... did you see Miche's comment in the February thread?...

I'm nearing the end of Part 1, I think... Sadeus's blade has turned up, and (view spoiler)... well, later in the book (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Iain wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Tis the reason for BRs-you learn a lot more than you would all by yourself! Thanks for the timeline info."

Speaking of things to pick up on... did you see Miche's comment in the Feb..."

I wasn’t around during the February thread...will go back and read as time permits.

message 32: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel wrote: "Iain wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Tis the reason for BRs-you learn a lot more than you would all by yourself! Thanks for the timeline info."

Speaking of things to pick up on... did you see Miche's comme..."

I mentioned Miche's comment in my spoiler, if you read it... there's probably some other gems in there... I linked an article to it awhile back...

I just did a random Google search on Taravangian, and found this gem on the 17th Shard forums (don't click if you haven't finished Oathbringer)

(view spoiler)

That comment thread gave me hope for where the story is going heading into book 4... here's the 17th Shard thread link: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/...

Daniel | 1536 comments @lain I did indeed read your spoiler and really need to get into the 17th shard forums. Enjoying the benefits of Goodreads for the last two months-makes reading much more enjoyable.

message 34: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

The 17th Sharders are a rabbithole... I don't delve often because I can lose hours/days...

Daniel | 1536 comments I can imagine, I lost weeks at a time on Wotomania(wheel of time)

message 36: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Re-Shephir: (view spoiler)

message 37: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nearing the end of Part 2: I feel like, even tho I'm not unearthing as much newness on this re-read, I AM catching the significance of things more... more spoilers meant for re-reads and those who've finished... at this point, assume most all of my spoilers are unsafe unless I'm responding to someone else who's talking through their first read...

Moash: (view spoiler)

Stormfather/Jasnah: (view spoiler)

Rlain: (view spoiler)

Teft: (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Re-Shephir I didn’t get that same impression as you did. I just think it is part of her ongoing mental issues. Finished part I.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2386 comments Read only four chapters. :l hopefully will make some progress over the weekend.

message 40: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel wrote: "Re-Shephir I didn’t get that same impression as you did. I just think it is part of her ongoing mental issues. Finished part I."

I think I was overlooking for things... and excited (view spoiler)

message 41: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manju wrote: "Read only four chapters. :l hopefully will make some progress over the weekend."

Yea... I've been sidetracked with Bridgertons and Hugh d'Ambray... around 60% myself...

Daniel | 1536 comments Iain wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Re-Shephir I didn’t get that same impression as you did. I just think it is part of her ongoing mental issues. Finished part I."

I think I was overlooking for things... and excited ..."

The amount of info to keep straight is damn near impossible. I am enjoying rereading at a slow pace-hopefully pick up more details.

message 43: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm at the Wit scene now, and noticed he referred to Wisdom like she's a Shard... interesting... wonder what planet / magic systems that would create...

message 44: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

End of Part 3: (view spoiler)

message 45: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Part 4 / Chapter 105ish: This is probably my least favorite segment of any Stormlight Archive book... (view spoiler)

message 46: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm only at chapter 17 now. Really enjoying my reread. There are some little details that I had forgotten about, which is nice. I am annoyed with Shallan, however. I've had some issues with her in the past, but this book is where the worst in her seems to come out. (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments This reread is great just finished part two. Learning a lot more by reading carefully lol. Agree with lain about Moash, his story made me think much more the second time around.

message 48: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm excited to get back to the Moash parts. They were some of my favorite sections the first time.

Daniel | 1536 comments Agree, except I was racing through the first time lol.

message 50: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments In some ways I feel like I sped through, though it took me longer than either of the previous books. I think it was when I read it. I was about to be busy at work (finals at the school I was working for) and wanted to finish before that, so I think I just read to finish at times rather than to enjoy. Hoping this time goes better, even if it takes me a long time.

« previous 1 3