Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

June - SUMMER READS > Review thread

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
After you have read your summery book(s), you can use this thread to write a review or leave a link to your review.

message 2: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finished my first summery book - The Woman in Cabin 10 - which was a not so sunny story about a murder taking place on a cruise ship. Fun times. Here you can read my review.

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "I finished my first summery book - The Woman in Cabin 10 - which was a not so sunny story about a murder taking place on a cruise ship. Fun times. Here you can read my review."

I think I'm like you - put me in one of those tiny cabins out on the open waters and I'd feel plenty anxious! I actually travelled on a cruise ship once and was amused to see they rented out Titanic...

message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finished Exile, the second book in The Extinction Trials (DINOSAURS!!) and I gave it three stars. Not as grandiose as the first book, but still interested enough to continue with the series. You can find my short review here.

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I loved how The Wicked Deep didn't feel like a typical summer book, and when I started this book, it was absolutely pouring outside. It was perfect. However, I DNFed it around the halfway mark. The premise is great, but the writing is overly descriptive and that lowered the pace and took away the tension for me. So, DNF.

message 6: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I finished Career of Evil and it was a good summer detective book. The book was paced pretty well but I was getting antsy to finish it by around 2/3 and felt I was being led around in circles. But I really enjoy this series and the characters. 4/5 stars. You can find my review here.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "I loved how The Wicked Deep didn't feel like a typical summer book, and when I started this book, it was absolutely pouring outside. It was perfect. However, I DNFed it around the h..."

I liked the descriptive writing, but I found the mystery of the sisters lacking in surprise (as in: I figured out the correct answer pretty quickly), so that took my rating down.

I hope your next read will be better Inge! :)

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I loved how The Wicked Deep didn't feel like a typical summer book, and when I started this book, it was absolutely pouring outside. It was perfect. However, I DNFed it..."

I had a friend tell me how the book ended so I could confirm my predictions, and yeah, I got it right too. :o)

message 9: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jun 17, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Last week I read a summer contemporary - like all the cool kids are doing ;D - and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The Shark Club is a story with a cute romance, a hotel at the beach full with books, and a lot of sharks. Perfect to take with you to the beach (even if you're afraid of sharks): here you can read my review

message 10: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I hope everyone had a good June/Pride month! I've managed to read 4 LGBT+ books *throws glitter around* and each of them were amazing in their on way.

1. First I read Tin Man which was just as 'soft' as "Aristotle and Dante" and brought me to tears in the same way. 5 stars, and my review is here.
2. My second read was The Fifth Season which was a badass science-fiction novel full with earthbenders, including one that is trans and a polyamorous couple! A 4-star read, and I'm going to read the second novel next month.
3. My third book was Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, a graphic novel drawn by a lesbian woman reflecting on her strict father, who was a closeted homosexual. A very bittersweet and beautifully drawn book. The musical based on it however is a lot cheerier, but I would recommend both. Here is my review.
4. And my last book was our buddy-read book of this month, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. Sadly nobody joined the buddy-read, but I was very happy to reread this beautiful book, although it made me cry (again!). No regrets tho ❤

message 11: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Sounds like you had a great reading month, Puck! I'm still kind of slumping and not enjoying anything I read, but I did finish an LGBTQIAP+ book today, The Brightsiders. I didn't enjoy it as much as Queens of Geek, but Jen Wilde is SO good at writing diversity, plus the band storyline was good fun. I gave it 3 stars.