Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

June - SUMMER READS > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you are currently reading for our book club. Are they everything you look for when you think of summer reads?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

With great enthousiasme and some dose of typical Britsh dry humar i greatly enjoy reading and rereading The once and Furture King by T White good summer reading

message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:11AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm currently reading two very different summer-books:

1. The Woman in Cabin 10, which is a thriller taking place on a cruise. This author's debut let me down but this book is loads better. The atmosphere of being stuck on a small boat while there is a killer on the loose definitely freaks me out!

2. Tin Man, which is a short book about two adult men being in love. It's a sad story (one of the man has AIDS, so...I'll probably end up crying later), but the story is lovely written.

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:48AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Alright, June is going well so far! I finished the two books mentioned above - The Woman was creepy and Tin Man made me cry 3x on the morning train, so fun! - and yesterday I read Raymie Nightingale. A sweet and thoughtful middle-grade story, because there are so really nice middle-grade books out there that you shouldn't overlook.

How is everyone else doing? :D

message 5: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
After finishing A Darker Shade of Magic last month (and loving it!) I decided to go with a different genre to give myself a break this month. I went with Career of Evil, third book in the Cormoran Strike series, a detective murder/mystery series. (Doesn't hurt that it is written by Rober Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling.) And so far I am enjoying it. I think I was reading to many fantasy novels and just needed a small break.

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I'm glad we are all enjoying our books so far! I'm reading Exile and, while it took a long time to get back to the dinosaur continent (almost half of the book!) I'm really enjoying our time back there. DINOSAURS.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jun 07, 2018 03:23AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Arika wrote: "After finishing A Darker Shade of Magic last month (and loving it!) I decided to go with a different genre to give myself a break this month. I went with Career of Evil, third book ..."

I love the Cormoran Strike series! My favorite so far is #2 "The Silkworm" because you can really see J.K.'s knowledge of the literature/publicing world in it, but Career of Evil is a good one too. Thrillers also work well for me when I want to take a break and read something easy. Fantasy is so complex sometimes..

message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "I'm glad we are all enjoying our books so far! I'm reading Exile and, while it took a long time to get back to the dinosaur continent (almost half of the book!) I'm really enjoying ..."

And with the new Jurrasic World movie coming out this week, your choice sounds perfect Inge! Are you fan of those movies as well, or do you prefer fictional dinosaurs? :)

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I'm glad we are all enjoying our books so far! I'm reading Exile and, while it took a long time to get back to the dinosaur continent (almost half of the book!) I'm rea..."

I only saw Jurassic Park for the first time a few months ago, but I didn't enjoy it. Too intense for me, haha. I handle things much better in books than on-screen! Do you like them?

message 10: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I'm glad we are all enjoying our books so far! I'm reading Exile and, while it took a long time to get back to the dinosaur continent (almost half of the b..."

My sister loves dinosaurs so I have watched a bunch of dinosaur movies growing up. I actually enjoy the new ones and can't wait to see the one coming out soon.
Sounds like a great pick Inge!

message 11: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Arika wrote: "Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I'm glad we are all enjoying our books so far! I'm reading Exile and, while it took a long time to get back to the dinosaur continent (almost ..."

I vaguely remember watching The Land Before Time when I was little, and I saw The Good Dinosaur last year. I think I prefer my dinosaurs animated. :D There's this travelling dinosaur exhibition which we went to visit, but the speakers were constantly blaring dinosaur roars and screeches and it messed with my anxiety so much!

message 12: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Inge wrote: "Arika wrote: "Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I'm glad we are all enjoying our books so far! I'm reading Exile and, while it took a long time to get back to the dinosaur cont..."

Oh no Inge! That isn't any good that those noises messed with you. I'm glad you can enjoy the animated ones though!

message 13: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

I just started A Reaper at the Gates and man....I forgot how much I really enjoyed this world. It definitely threw me right back into the story, head first, no coming up for air with this 3rd book it seems!

message 14: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Arika wrote: "I just started A Reaper at the Gates and man....I forgot how much I really enjoyed this world. It definitely threw me right back into the story, head first, no coming up for air wit..."

Those books are the best Arika! Enjoy the wild ride :D

message 15: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm going to start my reread Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe today! Sadly I caught my sister's cold (thanks sis :[ ) but I'm sure this book will make me feel better.

message 16: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Arika wrote: "I just started A Reaper at the Gates and man....I forgot how much I really enjoyed this world. It definitely threw me right back into the story, head first, no coming up for air wit..."

I am currently reading the first book in the series! I am halfway through and it's getting better and better.