Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)
This topic is about The Human Division
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Human Division [July 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited May 30, 2018 04:54AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
July 10th.

Link to retired BR: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I'll be joining this one.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Hell yes.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Starting this today.

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Don't read too fast hahaha. I'm still about 4 days from starting this one lol.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I have tons of BRs waiting too hahaha

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Mayim, you'll be joining, right? I'll try to phase my reading but no promise if the book is too good 😆

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Aaaand apparently it is not too good. Finished with episode 1 and it was just... empty. Taking note that this is an episodic series of tales, but still. The Black Box? who cares.

I'll wait till you finish your current book, Barry.

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 2 stars

Timelord Iain | 17943 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "Aaaand apparently it is not too good. Finished with episode 1 and it was just... empty. Taking note that this is an episodic series of tales, but still. The Black Box? who cares.

I'll wait till yo..."

The first episode was the only one I've actually kinda enjoyed so far... the rest are so short and ham-fisted in their storytelling, as a result... and I'm not doing a very good job of keeping track of characters between episodes...

I'm at the beginning of episode 7 now...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Silvana wrote: "Mayim, you'll be joining, right? I'll try to phase my reading but no promise if the book is too good 😆"

I will but this is a low priority this month because I do not expect anything good in here. And I stumbled onto the King's Dragon which surprisingly turned out to be really really good so I am savouring it.

So I might be late to the party.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Gosh, do I need to reread episode 1... I was thinking maybe I was too hurried. But, like Mayim, my current read - Blackfish City - is more engaging so I'll finish that first.

message 13: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 2 stars

Calling the first episode good in comparison to the rest isn't saying much... I just want to be done with this and move on to my next book... the last in this series isn't a very high priority for me, either, at this point... on episode 9 now...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments that bad?

message 15: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jul 12, 2018 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Being a series of short stories, spread around the galaxy, even while trying to tell a cohesive story, just doesn’t feel very like the earlier books...I guess the series entered an experimental stage after book 3... first telling the same story from a different POV... now this...

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Hmm ... this discussion isn't making me wanna start this one ASAP haha. Having said that, I'll be starting tomorrow at the latest. Just have another 80ish pages of the Scar to complete tonight. If this book isn't to my liking, I might just skip the last book as well and consider the series done lol.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I already bought the last book *sobs

Well, lesson learned. Don't buy the whole books in a series since it might go downhill.

message 18: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jul 13, 2018 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yea... it's best not to buy more than the first 3 books in a series until you've decided if you like it... wouldn't have necessarily helped with this series, but if it went past book 6 it would have saved you if you only bought 3 at a time...

@Barry: Not sure this book is a great place to stop... the ending (view spoiler) for the final book The End of All Things, which sure sounds ominous...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Having been burned a couple of times, I have learnt that it pays to read first and only then buy, provided that the whole series has a consistent quality which does not happen that often.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Mayim wrote: "Having been burned a couple of times, I have learnt that it pays to read first and only then buy, provided that the whole series has a consistent quality which does not happen that often."

But that means I have buy twice, right? Or do you mean getting it from a library?

message 21: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 2 stars

If you listen to audiobooks, Audible is super generous with their return policy, if you don't like a book, or make an accidental purchase...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Silvana wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Having been burned a couple of times, I have learnt that it pays to read first and only then buy, provided that the whole series has a consistent quality which does not happen that of..."

Well, my policy is simple: 1. borrow, if impossible 2. get an ebook that will not steal the precious space 3. if the whole series is good, buy the paper version.

But Iain's suggestion is also goog (though I don't do audio, I zoom out then).

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Oh interesting. I should have returned We are Legion. Is there a deadline for return date?

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Jul 13, 2018 04:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Silvana wrote: "Oh interesting. I should have returned We are Legion. Is there a deadline for return date?"

nope... I returned a DNF from April a week or 2 ago...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I tried and could not return the book I purchased last December. It says We are sorry. We are unable to return this book online.

Maybe because I bought it with discount?

Anyway, funny thing happened. I was reading a chapter from a book I thought to be another one, and liked it. But then CDF was mentioned and realized that it is actually THIS book. So I finished which was apparently episode 2 and wondering did that happen in Roanoke? There were mentions about all these (view spoiler)

message 26: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yea... I don't think you can return 2 for 1 sale items...

And yea... ep 2 is (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am starting tonight. I fully expect to hate it. :)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments End of Episode 7

Well, so far I’m enjoying it. Can’t say it’s been a great book, but it’s been decent. The humor is decent, although awkward in a lot of places. For example (view spoiler) I felt like Scalzi tries to dumb down or make fun of the different situations, but sometimes fails.

I particularly enjoyed the first episode and the episode with the radio announcer. Nice satire on the radio talk show and a certain cable news outlet in the US.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I was lost among the description of black box and how to retrieve it in episode one. Episode two and the one of radio show was alright.

I think I am halfway. The Clarke episodes were rather meh, I yawned every time an Ambassador was mentioned. Harry was just another Scalzian smart arse. Dude needs to diversify his characters.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Barry wrote: "End of Episode 7

Well, so far I’m enjoying it. Can’t say it’s been a great book, but it’s been decent. The humor is decent, although awkward in a lot of places. For example [spoilers removed] I fe..."

Yeah... Maybe he'd like to emphasize that humor is the glue of of the (his) universe. Lazy writing.

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Done.

The ending redeemed the book somewhat for me. Some really good episodes, some decent, and some awkward. I’ve mentioned about the aliens’ humors that weren’t alien enough to me. But the major mystery wrt (view spoiler) is really interesting. I’m gonna finish up the series, because I’m really curious (view spoiler)

CDF
(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I am done and disappointed. I am not doing any more books in this series. Ever.

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Well, that’s better than fully hating it, I guess? 😂.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments DNFed too. I ended up skimming the last few chapters and I could not even finish the extras. Because I just don't care. I am also ditching the series since I guess it is better to lose 1.99 bucks than four hours of precious reading time.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I skipped the extras because I rarely ever read those. But what annoyed me is that there were no answers just another book to get more cash from me. Half of these stories were redundant. It read more like fanfiction than anything else.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Definitely cash grab. I don't think I will read any Scalzi in the next few years. Was disappointed with The Collapsing Empire recently and now this one.

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Have we ever planned for the 6th to be read? Is anyone continuing?

message 38: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 2 stars

This was actually originally released online as a serial story from January to April 2016, I think...

The End of All Things is told as 4 novellas following Harry Wilson's crew, I think... and most people found it to be even worse than this book, from the few reviews I skimmed...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Well, it definitely has a sitcom quality to it. :D

Yeah, I saw the reviews too, which is why I bail out. I am not even that curious as to how it ends.

message 40: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 2 stars

All I'm saying is that I doubt the Conclave wipes humans from existence... so we basically know how it ends... happily ever after...

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments :D:D:D

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Mayim wrote: "Have we ever planned for the 6th to be read? Is anyone continuing?"
I'm continuing just for the sake of actually completing the series.

As with this book, I'm just gonna lower my expectation for the last book to rock bottom. That way, I could be surprised if it turns out that the book isn't that bad lol.

@ Silvana : I agree, definite attempt to stretch the series. You could cut at least 4-5 episodes in this book and maybe combine it with the last book to make it into 1 book. But, I guess I understand if the author wants to milk it for what its worth.

message 43: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1951 comments I see this group is enjoying this series as much as we did when we read it earlier in the year. He should've stopped after the first book. That was a good idea and a fun plot and it was self-contained. No need for a sequel.

message 44: by Ryan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 73 comments (view spoiler)