Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

June - SUMMER READS > What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Jun 01, 2018 02:00AM) (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Our new theme is SUMMER READS!

Personally I’m not a fan of summer, but there’s something about hot days that always makes me grab for contemporaries or travel books. Do they have to be fluffy contemporaries, you ask? Of course not. It’s all about what YOU like to read on a hot day. Perhaps you’d rather go on an adventure, solve a mystery, or read about the North Pole?

I'll be reading:
- Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
- The Brightsiders
- The Wicked Deep
- Exile

Australians (and anyone else not in summer), perhaps you can find someone to read a wintery book with you instead? Our buddy read thread is at your disposal.

What will you be reading?

message 2: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
All right, a new month and a new TBR! I have some good plans for this theme - some contemporary, a thriller and some LGBT-literature, and of course there is my buddy read! 😁

So my planned TBR so far is:
- The Woman in Cabin 10 (currently-reading)
- Tin Man (currently-reading)
- The Shark Club
- The Fifth Season
And of course Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

And apart from these books the 28th of June is my birthday, so good times are just waiting to happen! ^^

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (arcticlibrarian) I do not read differently with the seasons tbh. It's mostly fantasy all year. 😁

My June tbr so far is:
An Ember in the Ashes Reread
A Torch Against the Night Reread
A Reaper at the Gates So excited for this
Pride and Prejudice
The Astonishing Color of After
Down Among the Sticks and Bones

I am 100% a mood reader, so the list will definitely change.
Happy reading everyone <3

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

After The once and Future King I think i'll finally get to the latest Zafon (Layrinth of the Spirits) and then OR Dalrymple (White Mughals) or D Simmons (Hyperion)

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Ellen wrote: "I do not read differently with the seasons tbh. It's mostly fantasy all year. 😁

My June tbr so far is:
A Torch Against the Night Rerea..."

Enjoy your Ember-reread Ellen! I've seen plenty of people do the same on Booktube and it looks like a lot of fun. Let us know what you thought of the new book once it comes out, okay? :)

And as an Austen-fan, reading P&P is always a good idea!

message 6: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Pascal wrote: "After The once and Future King I think i'll finally get to the latest Zafon (Layrinth of the Spirits) and then OR Dalrymple (White Mughals) or D Simmons (Hyperion)"

Some beautiful books Pascal. The Once and Future King is floating around on my TBR somewhere...I just love knight-stories.

message 8: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I'll go with The Distance Between Us"

I love this book! Enjoy :)

message 9: by Natulcien_reads (last edited Jun 04, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments When I think of summer reads I think about the bigger books on my TBR, because during the months of July and August I have a lot more time to read, due to the summer holidays.
June, however is a busy month, wrapping up the schoolyear. So for me, this theme comes a month too early :-)

I'm a couple of chapters from finishing Royal Assassin so I might read the third book in the trilogy Assassin's Quest, this month, but not straight away. I don't marathon series anymore.

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I'll go with The Distance Between Us"

I love this book! Enjoy :)"

I really loved this one as well, hope you do too. <3

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "When I think of summer reads I think about the bigger books on my TBR, because during the months of July and August I have a lot more time to read, due to the summer holidays.
June, however is a bu..."

Good luck with wrapping up your schoolyear Natulcien! I just added my first Robin Hobb book to my TBR - I've heard great things about her Assassin's books - so I look forward to getting to know her work as well :)

message 12: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Puck wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "When I think of summer reads I think about the bigger books on my TBR, because during the months of July and August I have a lot more time to read, due to the summer holidays.
Jun..."

Thank you, Puck! I've still got a lot of marking to do and I've got a cold, so that isn't working out great atm :-s

Yay, I hope you enjoy Robin Hobb's books :-) Keep me posted ;-)

message 13: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
On my tbr for this month is:

-Career of Evil (currently reading)
-A Reaper at the Gates (I am also super excited for this one Ellen!)
-Animal Farm (trying to read a classic a month)
-Obsidio (been waiting for my copy at the library and its almost my turn!)
-And I Darken (If I have time)

message 14: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Ellen wrote: "I do not read differently with the seasons tbh. It's mostly fantasy all year. 😁

My June tbr so far is:
A Torch Against the Night Rerea..."

I am super excited for A Reaper at the Gates too! Though I am sad to hear that Amazon sent some preorders out early and so it is messing with Tahir's numbers to get on the NYT bestsellers list....hopefully they fix it soon for her.

nidah05 (SleepDreamWrite) | 229 comments The Art of Lainey, Jellicoe Road and Two Way Street. In the mood for summery type reads.

message 16: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Arika wrote: "On my tbr for this month is:

-Animal Farm (tryi..."

Hopefully you'll like Obsidio :-)

message 17: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Natulcien wrote: "Arika wrote: "On my tbr for this month is:

-[book:Animal Fa..."

I hope so Natulcien! My friend has already read it and she enjoyed it so I am itching to get my hands on it! (I am waiting for the audiobook)

message 18: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Arika wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "Arika wrote: "On my tbr for this month is:

-A Reaper at the Gates (I am also super excited for this one Ellen!..."

I read the physical copy first, but I'm planning a reread with the audiobook soon :-)

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "Arika wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "Arika wrote: "On my tbr for this month is:

-A Reaper at the Gates (I am also super excited for t..."

OBSIDIOOOOOOOO

message 20: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) wrote: "The Art of Lainey, Jellicoe Road and Two Way Street. In the mood for summery type reads."

Let me know how you like The Art of Lainey, Nidah! I've been eyeing that one for years.

message 21: by Casual (new)

Casual Reader | 11 comments My goal for this month is to finally finish a few books I've started reading:

- Lobbyen in de wetstraat
- Hex
- geschiedenis van Engeland
- 100% voor de consument

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie Fowler (katiefowlerhawkins) My June TBR includes
Nexus by Scott Westerfeld(currently reading)
Then I'm considering starting on one of the Sarah J. Maas series because I think it would be nice to have my next couple dozen books picked out without me having to go searching for them lol.

message 23: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Casual wrote: "My goal for this month is to finally finish a few books I've started reading:

- Lobbyen in de wetstraat
- Hex
- geschiedenis van Engeland
- 100% voor de consument"

Oh man, Hex: that book kept me awake at night! You better prepare yourself for your serious terror Casual 😫