Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
This topic is about The Dark Forest
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Dark Forest [June 16, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Placeholder for Yanique and I. I'm 3rd on the waitlist of two copies so about 20 days out.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

updated to start June 16th.

message 3: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yanique Gillana | 1013 comments Mod
WOOHOO I'm ready!

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

My title didn't come due from the library as quick as I expected but still should in the next day or so and then I'll start.

message 5: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "My title didn't come due from the library as quick as I expected but still should in the next day or so and then I'll start."

no prob, still not done with my current read.

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique wrote: "Scott wrote: "My title didn't come due from the library as quick as I expected but still should in the next day or so and then I'll start."

no prob, still not done with my current read."

I'll post here when my book comes due and we can coordinate our start.

message 7: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yup, I'm still reading Cress, Perdido Street Station, and Dark Sky, so I'm ok with waiting a bit. I'll be finishing all of these during the next few days.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique wrote: "Yup, I'm still reading Cress, Perdido Street Station, and Dark Sky, so I'm ok with waiting a bit. I'll be finishing all of these during the next few days."

Sweet.

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

My book just came due. I have 4 days to check it out or lose it. So start Saturday?

message 10: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds good!
I'm excited, I LOVED the first one so my expectations are high.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique wrote: "Sounds good!
I'm excited, I LOVED the first one so my expectations are high."

Me too.

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Started this morning. Very interesting right from the start.

message 13: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooh haven’t started yet but will tonight, I’m sooo ready!

message 14: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finally started! So I’ll definitely be checking in more. Reading the prologue and already loving the random perspective.

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through year 3 crisis era part 7

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about halfway through crisis era year 205 and this one has not disappointed.

message 17: by Yanique, Thread Master (last edited Jun 28, 2018 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "I'm about halfway through crisis era year 205 and this one has not disappointed."

I'm soooo behind!!! I have been on antihistamines which have been knocking me out at nights and I'm reading the physical book. Hoping to really do some bulk reading of this over the next couple of days.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique wrote: "I'm soooo behind!!! I have been on antihistamines which have been knocking me out at nights and I'm reading the physical book. Hoping to really do some bulk reading of this over the next couple of days. "

I'm done. I just couldn't put it down and knocked out the last hundred pages since my last post. I already put my name on the waiting list for book #3 and I'm third on two copies. So I can start in about 10-14 days if that's cool with you or I can suspend the hold and give you more time.

message 19: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't need more time, I'll be finishing this weekend for sure. So then I'll be ready to read your spoilers and discuss.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cool, hope you feel better. I'll post some things that I thought were awesome tomorrow. I ran out of time today trying to get it done. Hopefully you like it as much as I did.

message 21: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks.
I’m finding that I preferred Ken Lou’s translation in the first one to this. Did you have any issues with awkward sentences?

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique wrote: "Thanks.
I’m finding that I preferred Ken Lou’s translation in the first one to this. Did you have any issues with awkward sentences?"

A little bit but having read quite a few German and Russian texts which have been translated and reading the translators notes sometimes there isn't a word which translates into one words or there's a phase which is a play on words which makes sense in one language but not another. Because of that I'm not affected by the odd word combinations and simply write it off in my mind as a translation issue.

message 23: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I actually read quite a few translations as well. I think ken Liu spoiled me with his work on the Three Body Problem, so my mind was expecting the smoothness of that one.

message 24: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK I'm reading this seriously now, and I'm remembering how much I love this story!!!

I can't help but sing the Ghostfacer's song from Supernatural every time I read 'wallfacers'.

The wallfacer concept sounded like such a great yet potentially disastrous idea, especially considering they they chose Diaz. Then they defeated the entire purpose and started having meetings to discuss and approve plans.... why?

Wallbreakers, I thought they would have just been assassins for some reason, I prefer the direction it actually went.

Ok, back to reading. I'm about to start Part III: Year 205, Crisis Era.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was thinking the Wallbreakers would be assassins as well and thought why wouldn't you have the sophons take them out? The Wallfacers/breakers and the cryogenics was really well done. I just love how different this series has been. The characters make choices very different than I would but with the cultural differences with the author that's exactly what I was expecting. What closes the loop is he gives you that snapshot into their thinking which turns an ordinary work into something special.

message 26: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMG!!!

This had me on edge for the last 150 pages!

Firstly, I was confused for the longest about why the humans were so confident. Even with all the advance ments there was not to suggest that they'd reacvhed the levels of Trisolaran tech.

Secondly, that probe!

Third, those people in the space force escaping ships were so savage! I really didn't expect them to be so swift with those decisions.

Finally, Luo Ji is a badass! I had predicted what his plans were with the "spell" and I knew it would work. They did have me doubting myself though.

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with all of your points. It will be interesting to see where this goes in book 3. I'm wondering if somebody else finds them in the dark forest and they are forced to work together or a peace comes from elsewhere.