Horror Aficionados discussion

The Outsider
This topic is about The Outsider
New Releases > The Outsider - Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Rawlinson | 3 comments The Outsider was released on May 22nd and I must say, it's been pretty gripping so far, much more so than I found his last release, Sleeping Beauties.

It's classic king at his best, a mix of detective/mystery and the paranormal. I'm half way through it and I'm loving it.

Book Synopsis, taken straight from Amazon:

(view spoiler)

UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outsider-Ste...

US:
https://www.amazon.com/Outsider-Novel...

Erin (ems84) | 7679 comments I bought it recently but haven't started it yet. I can't wait to get into it.

Laura | 9 comments Finished reading it a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, SK has certainly still got it!

Erie (eerienight) | 56 comments Reading it now and really enjoying it.

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments I'm listening to it now and it's 100% gripping. I skipped Sleeping Beauties due to the terrible reviews but I'll try it someday on audio.

Char  | 16823 comments Mod
Read it and enjoyed it!

message 7: by JL (new) - rated it 4 stars

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 149 comments I haven't read any new King in ages, but I ended up reading this one and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Erin (ems84) | 7679 comments I just finished this one up and I liked it.

Annerlee | 270 comments Erin wrote: "I bought it recently but haven't started it yet. I can't wait to get into it."

Ditto. I have it on audiobook, but haven't quite got to it yet.

message 10: by Kenneth (last edited Jul 21, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Kenneth Goldman (goldman) | 11 comments Halfway through and so far the supernatural element hasn't kicked in. The novel is okay, not King at his best nor at his worst, but an awful lot of detective-style minutia similar to MR. MERCEDES. I think I can see where this is going although I haven't read any spoilers to inform me. Gripping enough with decent character development (although, as is usual for King, so many to keep track of), so I'd recommend it for King's readers. Personally, I think his last 'best' effort was 11/22/63.

Okay, finished it. Last half is also just okay,--- predictable and underwhelming. The 'Outsider' himself, when we finally meet him, seems meh. The 'hole' isn't as frightening as it should be, nowhere nearly as horrific as the tunnel scene in THE STAND, a scene that displays King at his best. (Darkness should be scary, right?) BTW --- I'm a published horror writer, so I read King with a more critical eye than most. He's still my favorite, but his novels are becoming increasing more formulaic, more involved with detective work than genuine scares.

Jessie (evey36) I finished this one and I loved it, but there is a clear divide between the first half of the book and the second half of the book. The first half was absolutely gripping and fascinating. The second half was also fantastic and had the supernatural element in it.

It wasn't my favorite but it wasn't bad either. The ending seemed a little underwhelming but maybe that is just me.

Still a great read!

message 12: by Joey (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joey B. | 12 comments Another EXCELLENT King novel that they will probably turn into another bad King movie. I will be highly disappointed if they don't cast Frances McDormand as Holly Gibney in the film adaptation.

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (ems84) | 7679 comments Joe wrote: "Another EXCELLENT King novel that they will probably turn into another bad King movie. I will be highly disappointed if they don't cast Frances McDormand as Holly Gibney in the film adaptation."

That would be a great choice for Holly.