The Sword and Laser discussion

The Dragonriders of Pern (Dragonriders of Pern, #1-3)
This topic is about The Dragonriders of Pern
TV, Movies and Games > Warner Brothers wants to develop Dragonriders of Pern Movies

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/warner...

Good news for Pern fans (say that too fast and you'll get looks from your coworkers).

The studio just reached an agreement with the estate of the late novelist Anne McCaffrey to adapt her Dragonriders of Pern books for film.

Katy | 25 comments Just saw this myself. I'm a little skeptical to say the least.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3948 comments This will be great if done right. I'm just remembering, though, an attempt a decade or so back, where the producer wanted to make Pern more like Xena. Nothing wrong with Xena, but Lessa is her own kind of strong female character.

There will need to be some updating in terms of what is acceptable in a relationship, but this should go along with the usual porting of a book to TV. Threadfall and dragons in flight! Can't wait. Hope they do it justice.

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments John wrote: "This will be great if done right."

Truth. Sadly, I have very little faith on the "rightness" of how it will be done. They just screw these up so badly...

message 5: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 179 comments I don't know this series. I was always into like Scifi and Fantasy when I was younger but as far as reading it almost exclusively, that started in my adult years so I still have some catching up to do.

message 6: by Ions (new)

Ions they couldn't even adapt all of the Narnia books... why would they even try?

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Ions wrote: "they couldn't even adapt all of the Narnia books... why would they even try?"

The Harry Potter films gave Warner Brothers reliable box office returns for a decade, and with both that and Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy over, WB is looking for another cash-cow franchise. If Pern is a hit with film audiences, WB has two dozen books of material they can work with for the next 10-20 years.

Also, the fourth Narnia film has been in preproduction for almost a year.

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3948 comments I dunno about two dozen books. Flight, Quest, - yes. Song, Singer Drums - good books, but I dunno if they'll translate. White Dragon - pretty much right out. Then there's the prequels and assorted followups. I'll be glad if they get one good movie out of it, and ecstatic if they manage a trilogy.

message 9: by Alan (last edited Jul 31, 2014 11:41AM) (new)

Alan | 534 comments Honestly, I don't think that most of the books have the beats and rhythms of movies.

I do think, however, that Song, Singer & Drums have tons of material that would make for a good TV show on the CW.

message 10: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments This is likely ill news for those of us hoping for Jackson's Temeraire movie.

Michele | 1154 comments Oh, but Hollyweird is all about jumping on the popular bus. GoT and LotR have proven that well done fantasy sells, so now every studio will want their own version. I can just hear the studio execs, "Warner Brothers is doing dragons?! Get me dragons!! Dragons - so hot right now!" Soon we'll be overloaded like we are with superheroes amd zombies.

message 12: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Michele wrote: "Oh, but Hollyweird is all about jumping on the popular bus. GoT and LotR have proven that well done fantasy sells, so now every studio will want their own version. I can just hear the studio execs, "Warner Brothers is doing dragons?! Get me dragons!! Dragons - so hot right now!" Soon we'll be overloaded like we are with superheroes and zombies."

I say it's about damn time! I've been waiting forever for dragons to have their day and with the best live action dragon movie still being "DragonHeart", an old movie mind you, it's about time for someone to make something to top that. I for one can't wait to see the dragons overtake us and be the superior beings they are! XD

Can you tell I love dragons? ^_^;

message 13: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1552 comments You mean like in Reign of Fire?

message 14: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments @John: Yes... but with a better storyline. ^_^;

P.S. The dragons shoulda won. -_-*

message 15: by Dustin (last edited Aug 18, 2014 12:29PM) (new) - added it

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Dustin wrote: "This is likely ill news for those of us hoping for Jackson's Temeraire movie."

I suppose he might still consider it, but how many dragon movies (not to mention Dragon-rider movies) can the market support before the bubble bursts and producers freak out. How to Train Your Dragon 2 already produced a disappointing turn out and that was really good.