What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

2011: Living in the Future
This topic is about 2011
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Young children's non-fiction book about the future (2000) from around 70s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments This is one of these "what's life going to be like in the future" books - as such, it's obviously one of many, but there's a particular one I remember reading as a child and would like to reread. I'm pretty sure it was actually called '2000', but can't find it by searching on this as so many different books with this in the title!

Would have been some time in the 80s or late 70s that I read it. I think it was a thin hardback book.

I recall the format being aimed at youngish children; each page had a short paragraph with a picture, fairly simple and direct.

I think one of the predictions was that people would be reading books on screens where they could make the pages go forward and back.

NB: Someone on another forum just suggested 'The Usborne Book Of The Future', and it is *not* that one.

Thanks.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Cities 2000 (1985) by Robert Royston? 57 pages

Here's one cover image - https://www.amazon.com/Cities-2000-Yo...

What kinds of predictions did the author make?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments Don't think it was that one; it was imagining what the future would be like, not discussing problems.

I honestly don't remember any predictions other than the one about reading books on screens.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments Hey, I think this could be it! I found an on-line description on books.google.com and also an image of one page on awfullibrarybooks.net, and all of that fits.

Unfortunately, all the available copies are massively expensive, so I've decided not to order one, which means I can't tell for certain. I'm about as sure as I can be without ordering one, so for simplicity's sake I'm going to mark this as a 'solve'. Thank you!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments Oh - didn't realise there's a 'possibly solved' folder. I'll put it in there; maybe some day I'll find a copy I can flip through and find out for certain. :)

message 7: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments Someone has uploaded it on tumblr, you can read it here: http://2010book.tumblr.com/post/31074... http://2010book.tumblr.com/archive

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments Ohhhh, my....

This

Is

Awesome.

Not only do I get to see and read the book again, but I get to read it in the futuristic format described in the book... by flipping pages back and forth with buttons on a screen!

(Even on reading it, I couldn't come up with definite memories of any of the pages... but it's exactly the same format and has the part I remember about books on screens. I think it must be the same one. I'm calling this a solve. Thank you again!)

message 9: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments Drsarah wrote: "Ohhhh, my....

This

Is

Awesome.

Not only do I get to see and read the book again, but I get to read it in the futuristic format described in the book... by flipping pages back and forth with but..."

Yes, come to think of it, it is :) You're welcome!

message 10: by Kris (last edited Jun 17, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Drsarah wrote: "Ohhhh, my....

This

Is

Awesome.

Not only do I get to see and read the book again, but I get to read it in the futuristic format described in the book... by flipping pages back and forth with buttons on a screen! ..."

Awesome, indeed. :) The New Yorker and others reviewed Hoyle's book back in 2010. "Some of the predictions are pretty impressive. A library with no books, in which all reading and viewing material is stored on a computer?" Too bad he wasn't right about the jumpsuits. It'd making dressing every day so much easier.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments I'm actually with one of the commentators on the jumpsuits; they're the most inconvenient of clothing as far as bathroom issues are concerned. No, thanks. But, yes, the books on screens and ordering shopping were inspired guesses!