What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fall Secrets
This topic is about Fall Secrets
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA book about African American girl at a performing arts high school, read in the late 90s - she auditions for the school with Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I A Woman?" speech. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cerys (last edited May 30, 2018 12:37AM) (new)

Cerys | 3 comments I read this book in the late 90s - there was a dark-skinned African American girl who lived with her parents and her light-skinned sister (one of the sisters was possibly named Cassie or Cassandra?) in I *think* California. The area they lived in had recently had a fire, although I think their house was fine. The main character wants to be an actress and auditions for a performing arts high school with Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I A Woman?" speech. She gets in and makes friends, including a dancer and a violinist (I think some of her friend's names are Jill and Maria). She is a big fan of Dreamgirls. She gets involved in several plays, including a play on Harriet Tubman's life, where she plays Harriet's sister. Harriet is played by a light skinned girl who is a talented actress and is the star of the school. She tries to dye her hair red and it is a disaster. It is revealed that she is extremely self-conscious about being darker skinned than her sister as years earlier she once overheard her teacher saying how ugly she was in comparison to her sister. Her father is furious to find out that a teacher said this.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Sounds like one of the "Jessie" books by Candy Dawson Boyd

Fall Secrets Fall Secrets by Candy Dawson Boyd
A Different Beat A Different Beat by Candy Dawson Boyd

message 3: by Cerys (last edited May 30, 2018 03:55PM) (new)

Cerys | 3 comments Oh my god, that's it! Thank you! This has been driving me nuts for years!

Also I had no idea it was a series!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Different Beat (other topics)
Fall Secrets (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Candy Dawson Boyd (other topics)