Kenyons Minions discussion

Dream Chaser (Dark-Hunter, #13; Dream-Hunter, #3)
This topic is about Dream Chaser
Dream Chaser BOTM

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carlena, Pumpkin Pie/Care Bear (new) - added it

Carlena | 1753 comments Hades doesn’t often give second chances...

Xypher has one month on Earth to redeem himself through one good deed or be condemned to eternal torture in Tartarus. But redemption means little to a demigod who only wants vengeance on the one who caused his downfall.

Until one day in a cemetery...

Simone Dubois is a medical examiner with a real knack for the job. Those who are wrongfully killed appear to her and help her find the evidence the police need to convict their killers. But when a man appears and tells her that she’s more than just a psychic, she’s convinced he’s insane.

Now the fate of the world hangs in her hands...

It was bad enough when just the dead relied on her. Now’s there’s the seductive Dream-Hunter Xypher who needs Simone’s help in opening a portal to the Atlantean hell realm to fight insatiable demons. The future of mankind is at stake—and so is her life. The only question now is: Who is the bigger threat: the demons out to kill her, or the man who has left her forever changed?

message 2: by Carlena, Pumpkin Pie/Care Bear (new) - added it

Carlena | 1753 comments Some general questions to help incite discussion. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like.

•Did you enjoy the book? Why? Why not?

•Did you feel that the book fulfilled your expectations? Were you disappointed?

•What did you think of the characters? Could you relate to them or no?
- Who were your favorite characters?
- Who were your least favorite characters?

message 3: by Carlena, Pumpkin Pie/Care Bear (new) - added it

Carlena | 1753 comments Thread closed until September 1, 2014

message 4: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Okay, so I'll start. =)

Overall, I loved this book, a lot. Fast pace, LOVED the banter. Not to mention that we got a glimpse of the demon world.

As for the characters ....
Loved Simone. Poor girl, voted Most Likely to Get Sat On by Accident, lol. Yeah, I've felt that way a time or two in my life. But I did enjoy her sass.

Xypher--okay, I did not expect that about his bloodline. Or should I say, half his bloodline? Did anyone else expect that? Also, his reason for ending up in Tartarus to begin with ... surprisingly noble, the way I see it. Hades had made him out to be such a vicious baddie (or so it seemed to me).

Because I came of age in the mid-80's, Jesse (who made me laugh) holds a special place in my heart. Oh yeah, I remember those fashions and that music quite well; if I were to be stuck with a ghost, that's a time warp I could deal with. Certainly a change from most of the ghosts I've read about, who were stuck further in the past. Or maybe that's just me, lol.

Of course, this is the book in which Jaden makes his entrance. I liked him immediately; it's hard to to tell here if he's a good guy or a bad guy. Love those sorts of mystery guys, lol, as I see them as very complex.

Xedrix, I definitely want to know more about, as well as the other Charontes. It seems that the more I learn about the Charontes, the more I want to know.

Just a few of my thoughts, looking forward to seeing other thoughts here. =)

message 5: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Definitely one of my fav DH books and it's definitely my favourite Dream Hunter novel.

To be honest, it felt like no one knew the reasoning behind why Xypher was in Tartarus. Or maybe the did know and felt like they needed someone to punish for home girl's crimes.

I absolutely loved Xyph though. I definitely found him interesting in Devil May Cry. His heritage was an interesting one. We knew about the God half from Devil May Cry but that other part was a definite surprise. Knowing what I know now about the Dream Hunters and their offspring. Makes sense.

The scene with him, Jesse, and Simone dancing was a fav scene. And downright hilarious. Oh and the one when she's in the shower and he ghost touches her while he's out in the hallway.

Jaden definitely made an entrance in this book. It was a wow moment. He could have easily overshadowed Xypher but Xypher himself is a very strong character.

After reading about Xedrix in here the first time around, I had to go back to Talon's book to read about Charontes escaping from Apollymi. I never realized that.

Oh this was also the book where we realized the Peltiers were more then what they appeared. That tidbit threw me for a loop

message 6: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Ok so I went back and read a bit. Xypher did do things for Satara but there were more cruel things that she did and blamed on him.

message 7: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments This was just the ultimate dream-hunter book for me. It had everything. Although I'll admit at first I was leery as ever when I first read it. But once I saw more Xypher's personality, it definitely became a book I couldn't put down. I wasn't even too bummed about Jesse and his ghostly girlfriend(which I usually am, as ghosts seem like such a crutch at times for authors when they want to sprinkle a little something paranormal in but not go the whole way). But they grew on me. Even more so than Simone at first. But once her secrets came out then I was loving her too.

I also loved me some Tate in this. I have missed him since Kyrian's book. I mean what is their world without their squires right? Not just anybody can stuff you in a body bag and see it as any other day lol.

It's been a long time since I read this one. So I've forgotten about Xypher's parentage. But I really enjoyed his interactions with Liza even. So hilarious. And yes definitely loved Jaden in this as well. Totally bummed me out when it was revealed later on some of his other background aspects though. I mean for such a powerful being, it amazes me how even they can get caught up in a bad situation.

message 8: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Oh definitely. It was like Savitar mentioned once how everyone has to answer to someone. I just didn't think Jaden would have been in the position he was in.

message 9: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments And as for the squires. Dude, the things they do for their Dark-Hunters. Tate was busy in this book. In the field of work he's end, I'm sure he has to on top of everything and sort it out before ordinary humans get caught up in the mix

message 10: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments No kidding. But not surprising either really given how crazy some of the top peeps in charge are.

message 11: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Shari-amor wrote: "And as for the squires. Dude, the things they do for their Dark-Hunters. Tate was busy in this book. In the field of work he's end, I'm sure he has to on top of everything and sort it out before or..."

Most def. Earned his side check in more ways than one for sure.

message 12: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Oh yeah, Tate earned his check for sure in this book. All the different and creative COD's the poor man had to come up with ... and "Oops" certainly doesn't cover it, not when "spontaneous combustion" is involved. Or a disappearing body, for that matter. XD

But gah, can you just imagine being in poor Nialls' place, examining a body when it just gets up from the table and walks off? I know I'd freak out, for sure. And I'd probably have to be carted out in a straitjacket, too. :D

message 13: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Charlotte you have just mentioned the number one reason why I never had ideas about working in the morgue. I know death is natural true enough. But my mind is far to active to NOT imagine somebody coming back to life or something and coming at me like a zombie or something lol. Definitely not the line of work for me.

message 14: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Poor Nialls.

And I'm with you, Cherale. My imagination is too wild and not too mention a bit superstitious with ghosts and the dead. If someone even played a joke, I'd be like to find a new career and a therapist

message 15: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Screw therapy, I'd kick so much ass on that person that played that joke. And have the world's highest light bill ever. As every light and what not be on in my house for life. I'm not sleeping either. So yea no jokes alike that are funny at all to me. What is ironic though, I went to high school with a chick that said oh so gleefully that she wanted to work in the morgue. Like what are you smoking chica?

message 16: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments My sister wants to work in the morgue :-(

message 17: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I see...and no real interest in anything else, huh? lol

message 18: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Well yeah she has other interests but she really loves the thought of being able to dissect dead bodies. And that right there is what creeps me out.

message 19: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments O_O um yea, you and me both. Although my mom was a nurse and she always used to say that she loved when she had time learning in the morgue whens he was in school to. But still...makes my skin crawl and creep away.

message 20: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments *groans* It takes a special someone to work with dead bodies and actually enjoy it

message 21: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments *groans* It takes a special someone to work with dead bodies and actually enjoy it

message 22: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ain't that the truth. It even used to wig me out when I first started watching 6 feet Under. And there was a married dude that worked in the morgue. And again I was so wigged out when they would show them having sex. And all I'd be thinking about is him having touched dead folks all day. Definitely not sexy.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1746 comments >.> my grandpa really wanted to do that -dead-

message 24: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Creepy grandpa haha

message 25: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments ROFL! Yeah, my husband thought about becoming a mortician--and really, I'm glad he didn't. Myself, I don't think I could work with the dead, and even cemeteries creep me out. I blame it on having read too many Stephen King books growing up. XD

(Although, strangely, I had no problem with dissecting cats in school. Then again, that's a bit different than working on an actual human cadaver.)

Okay, so talking about Xypher taking the blame for Satara ... I was working on my re-read of this book when I came across the full explanation (I had forgotten the details). Turns out, originally Zeus and Hades were going to punish Satara, but she convinced Xypher to take the blame. Xypher then made a deal with Jaden, who was able to make everyone believe that it as all Xypher's fault. Which says a lot about Jaden's powers. =)

Also, in thinking about the Charonte ... interesting, isn't it, that the Charonte are extremely matriarchal, and the males tend to defer to females? =)

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1746 comments LOL man i feel like the odd one out not being massively creeped out -falls over-

message 27: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Oh wow. Hats off to ya Charlotte for being able to dissect the cat in school. I had to dissect the frog. And I couldn't do it. I just held the instructions while my partner did the "surgery" as I was telling her what we were to be looking for lol. We even had baby octpusses to do too. And I couldn't do that one either. So being a surgeon definitely wasn't my calling at all.

Yea, Jaden is so boss for being able to do what he can do. And I don't blame him for looking down on most others who make deals with him. Especially when you spend years bargaining with peeps that are asking for some truly ridic things. And anybody doing something for Satara was really in for a world of hurt regardless of how you sliced it. But more than glad she met her maker and Xypher moved on.

And yes, I absolutely love that about the Charontes all day. But who WOULDN'T bow down to the female Charontes? I mean the awesomeness and bad assness of them is just beyond awesome to me. And not just for sheer strength or being so loyal. But dude, for keeping it real, makes no apologies for who they are. And also just beautiful spirits in all they do. So yea, if a male demon or man in general can't appreciate and value that. Then there is something wrong with their heads.

message 28: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Amaya wrote: "LOL man i feel like the odd one out not being massively creeped out -falls over-"

No worries we still love ya sis. Won't meet ya at a cemetery or at the morgue haha. But we loves ya. :D

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1746 comments haha thanks sis XD. LOL thats okies we can meet up at sk meetings!

message 30: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Definitely can do those.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1746 comments >.> so yahoo hates me and wont reconnect x.x

message 32: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments *throws you a pair of shit kickers to kick the hell out of it*

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1746 comments lmao thanks sis! sorry didnt even notice it d/c until it seemed liek it was a really long time before u replied rofl

message 34: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments No prob. It happens sis. At least can hit the hay early.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1746 comments haha true

message 36: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Oh wow. Hats off to ya Charlotte for being able to dissect the cat in school. I had to dissect the frog. And I couldn't do it. I just held the instructions while my partner did the "surgery" as I w..."

lol to be honest, I wasn't sure if I could handle dissecting the cat, either. But oddly enough, I found it kinda cool. I still don't think I could work on a human cadaver, though. So definitely no working in the morgue for me. XD

Anyway, with the Charonte. I do find it very cool that the males can be badass and still defer to their females (and I'm inclined to think that perhaps they followed a Charonte queen as opposed to a Charonte king, but that's just my opinion).

In my mind, it also offers an insight as to how the Charonte ended up with Apollymi, as she likely could control them better than anyone else in the Atlantean pantheon. =)

(Last but not least, also very interesting how much Xedrix resembles Ash in demon form, doesn't it? Like the song goes, "things that make you go hmmmm..." :D)

message 37: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments That would be wicked cool if the Charonte had a female leader they all deferred to. Now that I'm thinking about it, makes you wonder how exactly Apollymi enslaved them. Did she whoop their female queen or did she subdue a male of high standing!? Especially since they only seem to hate her for how she treats them, not necessaily for her victory over them. I've never heard any complaints over that. I feel like a male would more then likely be more respectful of her win.

Yes both Simi and Xedrix look like Ash. And their sister looks like Apollymi. I was wondering if there was some sort of family connection between them all.

message 38: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Great theories ladies. I always thought in the great Atlantean days gone by the Gods of their pantheon was trying to be all big and bad and running things. But of course they could only rule so far as I think it was said in Ash's book or maybe Sin's that the Charontes were going around as free beings themselves on the land. So being the scaredy butts they were(the Gods of the day) they likely ran to Apollymi to take down the Charontes.

And being who Apollymi, she likely figured she would check the demons out. Respected their way of doing things and got into an agreement with them after maybe saving one of their young(as she wanted a baby herself then, and naturally the Charontes not only follow their females, but they are hyper protective of those they consider their's) and that endeared them to their king(whom I also think might have been Ash's real dad maybe) and in return for her saving the demon kiddy he granted Apollymi a boon. Not only in his people being forever loyal to her(as all the Charontes I recall living down where she is banished, don't have a prob with her at all. It's mostly Xirena that does(story there within itself) not like her as much at all and I think it is far more than just Apollymi giving Simi to Ash when she was really young) And the boon that Apollymi likely asked for was a way in which to conceive of a child. So no doubt pending on how she saved the demon kiddy, who wouldn't want to sleep with a badass like the destroyer and especially someone that doesn't say no to them in doing what they do.

So when Apollymi goes back to the rest of the pantheon and says the demons are all tamed and what not. They are like par-tay we don't know what she did but it's all good. While not knowing she is preggars the whole time and has her own set of allies. ;) ;) And just all this theorizing makes me love the Gods and their mythos more and more.

message 39: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Good points made, ladies. =)

You're right, Shari, I have yet to read about the Charonte complaining about Apollymi's conquest of them--if, in fact, there really was a conquest. Not only Xirena, but Xedrix also complained of Apollymi's treatment of them.

I personally think that Dhfan is onto something, thinking that a deal of some sort was made. Because the Charonte did, indeed, once roam freely. And it seems to me that they willingly followed Apollymi into Kalosis ... or else one of the Charonte convinced the others to do so. =)

(The elder Xiamara, perhaps? We know that she was the most loyal to Apollymi.)

I tell you what, though ... I really wish I could have read the scene where Simi and Xirena reunite with Xedrix. =)

message 40: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Dude I keep forgetting those minute details. I mean I recall Xed and his crew escaping true enough and running their own club. And working with Kyle Peltier I think it was. But I totally forget if he ever mentioned not liking Apollymi at all. But I guess it could be also do to how she separated their family as well.

Yea, it could have been Apollymi and Xiamara teamed up to take out somebody or defended each other against something. And hey when you do that for one of their race Charontes are loyal for life. I mean Apollymi has her faults true enough. But when even that little boy Charonte asked if they could eat Sin in his book when she brought him there. Apollymi, to me, seemed rather sweet and kind to him. I know that sounds kind of assbackwards saying that in regards to the situation for Sin lol. But it showed another soft spot she had for someone not born of herself. Save for when she took Stryker in.

But I think the overall message for sure is that none of those Atlantean Gods have enough balls to really challenge her about the demons being most loyal to her in the first place. So it would not amaze me at all if she had some kind of extended hidden history. How she might even be dubbed a Charonte queen or something of great value. Along with Ash's dad being a demon too. Just saying.

message 41: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shari-amor | 5275 comments I actually think there is a scene when Xed meets his sisters. It was in one of those cut scenes from a book but I can't remember where I read it, I'm almost sure I did though. Dangit, let me look through some books and on the site

message 42: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Yea, I remember that scene. But I didn't think he had even mentioned Apollymi then. But it's been eons since reading it. So I can no doubt be mistaken. I so wished they hadn't cut them meeting. Maybe let her re-write the scene in there somewhere along the way.

message 43: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Ah, well. At least we know that Simi enjoys her visits to her brother Xed (I think the "lots and lots of seafood" is a winning factor, here). =)

I just have one more comment to make here, before I dive into Ash's book for a re-read: according to SK's website, Simone was originally supposed to be introduced in Night Pleasures (in the morgue scene), but the editor felt that it wasn't time to meet Simone yet. Which I think is a bit of a shame, as I would have liked to have seen her interacting with Kyrian and Amanda. =)

Overall, good discussion! =)