What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical Fantasy/Romance(?) set during Arthurian era and involving either the daughter or niece of Arthur.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilynadine (new)

Lilynadine | 7 comments This book is one I read several years ago in my late teens (between 2004-2008), but I'm pretty sure the book itself was from around the 80s, maybe earlier. It took some liberties with parts of Arthurian legend but it was definitely very much about the Arthurian era.

Pretty much everything after this is going to be a very vague spoiler.

I remember the book starting with the girl-- related to Arthur and I'm almost certain she was supposed to be his daughter-- being woken in the middle of the night by one of the nuns in the convent she was staying in. I think they'd received news that Arthur had been killed, and Mordred was seeking Arthur's daughter, so they were trying to get her to safety.

My memory of the book is kinda fuzzy after this, but I know eventually she is kidnapped by Mordred and I think he wants to have her marry one of his sons to legitimize a claim to the throne.

I'm not sure where the romance actually is but something in my brain is screaming this was one of those trashy romance novels-- no offense meant there, that's my favorite kind of romance novel. It definitely was not aimed towards kids or even teens probably.

If more details come to me I'll add them in, but for now this is all I can think of. I know it's not much to go on, but I'm hoping someone out there has read this book and remembers it.

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments King Arthur's Daughter by Vera Chapman? It does begin in a convent. I haven't read it so I don't know if it's the one you're looking for!
Published in 1976.

message 3: by Lilynadine (new)

Lilynadine | 7 comments Somehow, in all my searching, this book didn't come up at all and I'm kind of offended (how could you betray me like this, google!!). I had all kinds of suggestions of books about Mordred or Guinevere but not this one.

I'm not 100% but it certainly sounds like this could be the book. The name Ursulet definitely feels familiar so hopefully...
I'll have to pick it up and read it to be sure.

(Also, humorous note: Quest for Camelot was actually what reminded me of the book, and I just noticed that the author of this book wrote the one that inspired QfC.)

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36503 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of King Arthur's Daughter by Vera Chapman - Mai's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=mGN... There are different cover images.

message 5: by Mai (last edited Jun 08, 2018 02:15PM) (new)

Mai | 1276 comments Lilynadine wrote: "Somehow, in all my searching, this book didn't come up at all and I'm kind of offended (how could you betray me like this, google!!). LOL

The book I mentioned is the 3rd in a trilogy. The book that inspired The Quest for Camelot is the first one in the same trilogy, so it makes perfect sense that it triggered the memory of the book you read! :-) Hopefully it's the one you were looking for.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40602 comments Mod
Lilynadine, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

King Arthur's Daughter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vera Chapman (other topics)