SBTB Goodreads Group discussion

Challenges > 2018 The Ripped Bodice Summer Romance Bingo

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jun 01, 2019 09:01AM) (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 207 comments Mod
The Ripped Bodice is doing a summer bingo challenge. You can find the official announcement on their website! You can print the bingo card and list out, if you prefer to work on paper (like myself).

How It Works:

1. Each square represents one book that you've read THIS summer (honor system, please and thank you). You can interpret the categories however you'd like.
2. Fill in the square with the title of the book and the author once you've read one that meets the criteria.
3. BINGO = five in a row (vertical or horizontal)
4. For each completed row, you can enter to win prizes from The Ripped Bodice here!
5. Follow #rippedbodicebingo on social media for recommendations and to keep up with all the other participants.

Use this thread to plan out your reading list or to give recommendations!

message 2: by Kira (new)

Kira | 1 comments What a tease! I got so excited!

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Jun 05, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Lauren loves llamas (laureninca) | 29 comments It's supposed to be out June 1st, right? I can't wait!

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Aug 31, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments I did not do it last year, so really looking forward to this year's!
22/25

The Princess Deception by Nell Stark Cinderella Boy by Kristina Meister The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline XXXXX Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Die drei Ehen der Grand Sophy. by Georgette Heyer Honor Girl A Graphic Memoir by Maggie Thrash Racked and Stacked (Blacktop Cowboys, #9) by Lorelei James The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1) by Kerrigan Byrne
XXXXX. Shards of Honour (Vorkosigan Saga, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold Arabella by Georgette Heyer An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1) by K.J. Charles The Foundling by Georgette Heyer
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase The Law of Love by Laura Esquivel Level Up (Fandom Hearts, #1) by Cathy Yardley
You Out of Nowhere (Flair #1) by Jay E. Tria XXXXX The Flight of Swans by Sarah McGuire Bring on the Blessings (Blessings, #1) by Beverly Jenkins Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas
(view spoiler)

message 5: by Amanda (new)

It's here!

message 6: by Jujubee (last edited Aug 20, 2018 04:28AM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments I'm in! Woot-woot!!! My listy here in B I N G O columns ;)
Overall stats 11/25

**B**
1 Soccer/Futbol
2 More or Less a Countess (The Somerset Sisters, #2) by Anna Bradley 08/05/18 4.5*
3 Mermaids
4 Book That Is Now a Movie
5 The Lass Initiated the Laird - Erotic Novella (Explosive Highlander 3.5) by Lisa Torquay 08/09/18 2*

**I**
6 Fairy Tale Retelling
7 Fashionista
8 Cutting Edge (The Edge, #0.5) by C.D. Reiss 06/13/18 5*
9 The King's Man (Welsh Blades #1) by Elizabeth Kingston 08/07/18 5*
10 Baby on the Cover

**N**
11 Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5) by Meredith Duran 06/28/18 5*
12 Just like That by Nicola Rendell 0/23/18 5*
13 HEA
14 Hero smells like "MAN"
15 Birds Involved

**G**
16 Firefighters
17 Highland Wrath (The Mercenary Maidens, #3) by Madeline Martin 07/12/18 3.5*
18 Queer Historical
19 Time Travel
20 Knotted (Trails of Sin, #1) by Pam Godwin 06/27/18 4*

**O**
21 Haven (Relentless #5) by Karen Lynch 08/12/18 5*
22 Heroine's Eyes Are Like The Ocean
23 Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2) by Jim Butcher 08/08/18 4*
24 Signal Boost (Off the Grid, #2) by Alyssa Cole 06/21/18 3.5*
25 Before Jamaica Lane (On Dublin Street, #3) by Samantha Young 07/17/18 4*

message 7: by Karin (last edited Jun 03, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Karin (aquariandancer) | 4 comments I will try to keep up. ;-)

(view spoiler)

message 8: by HeatherMarie (last edited Jul 26, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments ❤️📚❤️📚❤️📚
description
Possible Ideas
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Chandler | 1 comments thank you! can't wait!

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1 comments What does "extreme location" mean?

I mean ... for me, Alexis Daria's reality TV dance competition series or any reality TV-themed romance would qualify as extreme, because I personally find reality TV to be surreal and strange. But perhaps someone else doesn't feel the same way. And technically, the location is in Hollywood.

What about war romances or romantic suspense? The situation is extreme, or battlefields are "extreme," but maybe the actual location of said battle is just a field. Do those qualify?

message 11: by Amanda (new)

I interpreted it as a remote location or a location with a lot of dangers. I think a war or military zone could also work. The Ripped Bodice though said you could interpret the categories however you wish.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 13 comments Part of the first book in Daria's reality TV dance series takes place in a remote family compound in Alaska. It wasn't the middle of winter or anything, and it was only a couple of scenes. But as far as I'm concerned, if you have to take a float plane to get there, it counts as extreme.

message 13: by Megan (last edited Jun 27, 2018 03:38PM) (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 6 comments I'm excited for this challenge! I didn't participate last year, but I'm hoping to get a couple Bingos this summer.

Completed: 7/25

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Giselle (last edited Jul 04, 2018 05:14AM) (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 4 comments I'm going for a blackout. Let's see what happens.

11/25

Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1) by Jill Shalvis Midnight in Austenland (Austenland, #2) by Shannon Hale The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su Lick (Stage Dive, #1) by Kylie Scott The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1) by Helen Hoang Act Like It (London Celebrities, #1) by Lucy Parker Game of Hearts (Fandom Hearts, #3) by Cathy Yardley The Hating Game by Sally Thorne Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2) by Jill Shalvis Kulti by Mariana Zapata Hearts in Darkness (Hearts in Darkness, #1) by Laura Kaye Love in the Light (Hearts in Darkness, #2) by Laura Kaye

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Jae (last edited Aug 29, 2018 11:13AM) (new)

Jae | 127 comments I love all of these challenges

I finished a row but I'm hoping too get at least one more before the challenge is over.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by LB (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

LB | 26 comments I am determined to get at least one bingo this summer! I can do this!

UPDATE: Completed so far: 15/25 (STILL no bingos)

----------- Hurts to Love You (Forbidden Hearts, #3) by Alisha Rai -----------
Wanted, A Gentleman by K.J. Charles Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood ----- Coffee Boy by Austin Chant -----
----- Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1) by Alexis Daria Squared Away (Out of Uniform, #5) by Annabeth Albert Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1) by Cat Sebastian The Trouble With Harry (Noble series) by Katie MacAlister
----- Shadowheart (The Medieval Hearts Series Book 2) by Laura Kinsale A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5) by K.J. Charles ----- Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1) by Susannah Nix
Simply Love (Simply Quartet #2) by Mary Balogh ----- The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1) by K.J. Charles Trowchester Blues (Trowchester Blues, #1) by Alex Beecroft The One You Can't Forget (The Ones Who Got Away, #2) by Roni Loren

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Sarena (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Sarena | 26 comments Here we go!
7/25
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Koozebane (last edited Jun 30, 2018 04:06PM) (new)

Koozebane | 67 comments Hmm, encountering heroes who smell uniquely like themselves, but not specifically like Man! Bah...

message 19: by Ginger (new)

Ginger W | 40 comments I’m starting late but hoping for a blackout!

message 20: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Koozebane wrote: "Hmm, encountering heroes who smell uniquely like themselves, but not specifically like Man! Bah..."

That was a tough cat for me, too. And I still haven't encountered any heroines with eyes like the ocean!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 22 comments Hoping I can get at least one bingo with this if not blackout!

And Critterbee, I believe Amanda Quick's Deception by Amanda Quick compares the heroines eyes to the ocean, since the hero nicknames her Siren and the theme is ocean pirating. If not, I can't imagine that there isn't at least one Quick with the comparison. :)

message 22: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 4 comments I haven't gotten to it yet but I heard secondhand that The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1) by Kerrigan Byrne fulfills the ocean eyes challenge. The problem I'm having with this challenge is that only hero's eyes have been described like that and not the heroines. So hopefully this one will work out.

message 23: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Jul 04, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments For Smells like 'Man' I read Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase, and I think I smelled a man in The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley, but I also discovered Carriage Sex in that one!

These both are a few years old, and have been heavily recommended, which is why I read them, but that also might mean that many others have already read them...

*And thanks for the recos for Ocean Eyes! Amanda and Giselle! I will check them out.

message 24: by Cat (new)

Cat | 26 comments My hints:

The billionaire's intern by Jackie Ashenden has ocean eyes. Be warned that there are some dark themes (violence/death backstory)

One hero of A Fashionable Indulgence by KJ Charles is named Harry

Hero smells like man in one of the Melissa Blue stories in the Kiltless bundle

Avery Cockburn has a series about about soccer. I picked up Playing to Win as a freebie and HOLY CRAP ALL THE FEELS

Jill Shalvis Always on my Mind is a rare firefighter book without a fire pun in the title ;)

I need help with summer camp, any ideas? Him by Elle Kennedy and Sarina Bowen is one but I'm trying to avoid rereads

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 13 comments Cat wrote: "My hints:

The billionaire's intern by Jackie Ashenden has ocean eyes. Be warned that there are some dark themes (violence/death backstory)

One hero of A Fashionable Indulgence by KJ Charles is na..."

Running With Lions by Julian Winters and Nothing Happened by Molly Booth are the two I have set aside for the summer camp square. They both sound good, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to read!

message 26: by Celine (last edited Jul 22, 2018 06:26PM) (new)

Celine (goodreadscomcdb393) | 14 comments For summer camp there's a series called Camp Firefly Falls. I know I've seen some of them recommended by people I follow on blogs/FB, but I can't remember which specific ones. It has several different authors. Here's one, then you can click on the whole series from there.
Skinny Dipping Dare

message 27: by Celine (new)

Celine (goodreadscomcdb393) | 14 comments Also, coming out August 7th is Kristan Higgins's Good Luck with That, which starts out at a summer camp and has some flashbacks and lots of references to it. It's more women's literature than romance and deals with weight issues so it's not for everyone. I enjoyed enough of it to give a positive review, but I wouldn't give it an unconditional recommendation to everyone.

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 2 comments Cat wrote: "My hints:

One hero of A Fashionable Indulgence by KJ Charles is na..."

When Dimple Met Rishi is a camp one (read last year and it is absolutely adorable). I read Nothing Happened for this one and it was fun!

Also, please enjoy this giant list of free books on Kindle today. I picked up a few and it seems like plenty will cover bingo squares!
http://omgreads.com/escape-into-books...

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 13 comments I hadn't considered When Dimple Met Rishi, I was thinking more along the lines of sunburns-and-mosquito-bites type summer camp, but that totally works. I loved this one, too.

message 30: by Jujubee (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments Just got a chance to update my original post 4!
My stats are 10 books read, yet not a BINGO to be had LOL
This year's categories are challenging again, right?

I have a few recs for Heroine Older that the Hero:
- On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves On the Island standalone
- The Unidentified Redhead (Redhead, #1) by Alice Clayton Alice Clayton's Redhead trilogy
-And of course, anything in the Outlander series, as Claire is a few years older than Jaime...technically...ish ;)

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 12 comments For baby on cover, do you think a puppy or kitten would count? Doesn't specify it has to be human.....thoughts?

message 32: by Chanel (new)

Chanel Sharp (readingwthchanel) | 10 comments Mom and myself started Bingo back in June. We decided to only to do one line. We just finished but wanted to post our findings and cheer everyone else on.
Third Row Down: Horizontally
Mermaids
The Seafarer’s Kiss by Julia Ember
Extreme Location
The Kadin by Bertrice Small
Happily Ever After
Petals on the River by Kathleene E. Woodwiss
Queer+Historical
Think of England by K.J. Charles
Hero Named Harry
The Scandalous Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright by Tessa Dare

It was an awesome summer of reading and we hope to be able to do it again next year.

message 33: by Jujubee (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments Chanel wrote: "Mom and myself started Bingo back in June. We decided to only to do one line. We just finished but wanted to post our findings and cheer everyone else on.
Third Row Down: Horizontally
Mermaids
The..."

Great list of books, Chanel! Congrats on getting a row...I'm still not there LOL ;)

message 34: by Jujubee (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 43 comments So the Mermaid category....hmmm
Checked my TBR listy and quess what?! I've got mermaid/mermen books. Don't know if I'll have time to read one before the challenge ends. Just love GRs Listopia, right?
Here's a link to mer books: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 35: by EFE (new)

EFE | 8 comments Whew, Just squeaked in a full house on the very last day.

Football - Crossing Hearts, Patricia Crowley.
Fairy Tale Retelling: Fairy Tales Unleashed, Naima Simone
Forced Proximity: Getting Real, Ainslie Paton (singer and tour manager on a music tour, lots of working together, travelling together etc)
Firefighters: Skin Deep, Kimberley Kinaid/ Firefighters of Darling Bay, Rachel Herron
YA Paranormal: Elseker, S.T. Bende
Carriage: Do You Want to Start a Scandal, Tessa Dare/ My Lady of Deception, Christi Caldwell
Fashionista: Amazed by You, Cheyenne McCray (heroine designs clothing and is having her shoot at hero's ranch)
Summer Camp, Crushing on Cooper, Violet Vaughn
Enemies to Lovers, Head Coach, Lia Riley
Ocean Eyes: Earthly Delights, Kerry Greenwood (heroine has 'sea grey' eyes), Catching Captain Nash, Anne Campbell (heroine's eyes are like the water in a Cornish cove)
Mermaids: In too Deep, Ros Baxter
Extreme Location: Falling, Simone Ahrnstead (a small part set in a refugee/ aid camp in Chad)/ Hold Your Breath, Katie Ruggle (ice divers)
HEA: Hearts of Fire, Bec McMaster
Queer Historical: Soldier's Scoundrel, Cat Sebastian
Hero named Harry: Leopard Prince, Elizabeth Hoyt.
Book now a movie: Decent Exposure, Phillippa Ashley (made into a tv movie titled something like 12 Men of Christmas)
Pre-Renaissance: The Lotus Palace, Jeannie Lin
Hero Smells Like Man: Bride in Trouble, Serenity Woods
Time Travel: Just one Damned Thing after another, Jodi Taylor
Tech: Insecure, Ainslie Paton
Older Heroine: Her Gilded Prison, Beverly Oakley
Baby on Cover: Passion of Patrick McNeil, Virginia Kantra
Birds: Unleashing, Shelley Laurenston
Return to Hometown: Romance Dance, Allie Burton
Damsel in Distress: Damsel in Danger, Olivia Jaymes, Trouble in a red dress, Lori Sjoberg.

I love these challenges - they really help to direct my reading and looking for specific themes or covers helps make conquering my enormous mount TBR much easier. But I also like the happy accidents, just reading a book then realising it fits into 'ocean eyes' is such a satisfying feeling. Now I'm off to finish the SBTB challenges.

message 36: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 251 comments Argh! I got up to 22, but spun out on Firefighters, Mermaids and a Baby on the Cover. Babies in romance is one of my least favorite subgenres.

WAY TO GO, EFE! Did you submit your card to the Ripped Bodice? Good luck with the prize drawing!

message 37: by Alyssa (last edited Aug 31, 2018 04:48PM) (new)