2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:41PM) (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Marissa Meyer‘s book, Cinder.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Suki, Radhika, Meghan, Jeanette, Olga

message 2: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 100
Week 2: 100
Week 3: 100
Week 4: 100

Meghan Octavia (octaviamarie) | 7 comments I want to join this buddy read

Jeanette Madsen (bugge) | 16 comments Hi
I’d like to join this buddy read.

Olga Want to join this br)

message 6: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments The more, the merrier! :-)

Is anybody intetested in continuing to read the series over the next few months if we like Cinder?

Olga Suki wrote: "The more, the merrier! :-)

Is anybody intetested in continuing to read the series over the next few months if we like Cinder?"

May be we shoud try to read and discuss it later? Btw I didn't get : we started or not?

Jeanette Madsen (bugge) | 16 comments Spoiler alert!

Just read page 44 - “Princess Selene has only been three years old when a fire caught her nursery” - could it really be this obvious? I think now that I will be a little bit disappointed if this turns out to be Cinders secret from her past. But hey, maybe I’m guessing wrong.

message 9: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Jun 09, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4223 comments Jeanette wrote: "Spoiler alert!

Just read page 44 - “Princess Selene has only been three years old when a fire caught her nursery” - could it really be this obvious? I think now that I will be a little bit disappo..."

Jeanette, please use spoiler tags if you post a spoiler.
You can do so by placing your text between [spoiler] and [/spoiler] but replace [ by < and ] by >
It will then look like this: (view spoiler)

message 10: by Olga (last edited Jun 09, 2018 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Jeanette wrote: "Spoiler alert!

Just read page 44 - “Princess Selene has only been three years old when a fire caught her nursery” - could it really be this obvious? I think now that I will be a little bit disappo..."

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga (view spoiler)

Jeanette Madsen (bugge) | 16 comments Ok sorry, am new at this☺️
My first buddy read

message 13: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Since I'm new to br too, I've a question. Is there any signal we all start writing there or just when anyone wish? 'Cause it's so silent...

message 14: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Olga, Jeanette, and any other BR newbies!

Buddy Reads tend to be more relaxed than Group Reads. Participants read the books at the pace they choose and post comments when they are ready. This fact makes it essential that everyone marks spoilers appropriately so that the read is not ruined for folks who are not as far along! Participants need to use spoiler tags which means you put 'spoiler' in front of the text and '/spoiler' at the end of the test but you replace ' with <>.

Check out the first post (here) for more information about Buddy Reads!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

message 15: by Mary Pat (new) - added it

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Meghan, Jeanette, Olga - I have added you to the list of participants!

message 16: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Mary Pat wrote: "Olga, Jeanette, and any other BR newbies!

Buddy Reads tend to be more relaxed than Group Reads. Participants read the books at the pace they choose and post comments when they are ready. This fact..."

Thank you for answer)

message 17: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Well, the story does feel like a fairy tale)
(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Olga wrote: "Since I'm new to br too, I've a question. Is there any signal we all start writing there or just when anyone wish? 'Cause it's so silent..."

Hi Olga!
I'm going to start the book sometime over the weekend.

message 19: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments "The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted..."

What a great opening sentence!

message 20: by Suki (last edited Jun 16, 2018 07:56PM) (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Book One (to the end of Chapter 8)

When I first heard about this book, featuring a Cyborg Cinderella, I knew that I would be reading it at some point. So far, I am enjoying the book a lot and am finding it to be a quick and easy read.

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Suki (last edited Jun 17, 2018 12:14AM) (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Book Two (from Chapter 9 to the end of Chapter 20)

Well, Book Two is an absolute hornet's nest of revelations!

(view spoiler)

Warning: Here's where I leap to some really spoilery conclusions, based on the above points:

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Suki wrote: ""The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted..."

What a great opening sentence!"

Unusual for a fairy tale but at the same time extremely suitable)

Wow, you've made a nice summary! I wanted to add something but couldn't)

message 23: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: ""The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted..."

What a great opening sentence!"

Unusual for a fairy tale but at the same time extremely suitable)

Wow, you've made a nice summary! I..."

Thanks, Olga! :-)

message 24: by Suki (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:09PM) (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Book Three (from Chapter 21 to the end of Chapter 29)

Now some things are starting to fall into place and make sense:

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Suki (last edited Jun 18, 2018 03:00AM) (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Book Four (from Chapter 30 to the end of the book)

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Suki (last edited Jun 18, 2018 03:12AM) (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Glitches

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Suki wrote: "Glitches

My edition of Cinder has a bonus short story at the end, called Glitches. It is about Cinder coming to live with Adri's family as a young girl, shortly after her cyborg surgery. It does..."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Suki (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: "Glitches

My edition of Cinder has a bonus short story at the end, called Glitches. It is about Cinder coming to live with Adri's family as a young girl, shortly after her cyborg sur..."

Olga, I think you are right.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Suki wrote: "Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: "Glitches

My edition of Cinder has a bonus short story at the end, called Glitches. It is about Cinder coming to live with Adri's family as a young girl, shortly after h..."

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Suki (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:40PM) (new) - added it

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: "Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: "Glitches

My edition of Cinder has a bonus short story at the end, called Glitches. It is about Cinder coming to live with Adri's family as a young girl, sh..."

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Olga (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olga Suki wrote: "Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: "Olga wrote: "Suki wrote: "Glitches

My edition of Cinder has a bonus short story at the end, called Glitches. It is about Cinder coming to live with Adri's family as a y..."

(view spoiler)

Jeanette Madsen (bugge) | 16 comments There are so many retellings of this fairytale, but this was really a different one of its kind. I believe it’s the best retelling I have read so far. Specifically the ending was my favorite, though some of the info was old news to me, there was a twist to it that I didn’t see coming. Bravo Meyer! Splendid work!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cinder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marissa Meyer (other topics)