Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Movies/TV Shows/ Podcasts > Mary Kay Letourneau

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments I'm watching this show on A&E about convicted child rapist Mary Kay Letourneau, and the way they're describing her is infuriating. She repeatedly raped a 13 year old boy and yet her friends and family are saying she's not a sexual predator. If a 30 something year old teacher had repeatedly raped a 13 year old girl he would be called a predator.

I can't understand how people consider this to be a love story.

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 127 comments Erin wrote: "I'm watching this show on A&E about convicted child rapist Mary Kay Letourneau, and the way they're describing her is infuriating. She repeatedly raped a 13 year old boy and yet her friends and fam..."

Is this new? I'm from Seattle and this was sort of "local news"...in the beginning. I followed the jaw dropping twists and turns. How anyone can be sympathetic toward her is beyond me. You're right if she was a he this would be a very different story.

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1113 comments Erin wrote: "I'm watching this show on A&E about convicted child rapist Mary Kay Letourutneau, and the way they're describing her is infuriating. She repeatedly raped a 13 year old boy and yet her friends and fam..."

Erin, I missed that one but last night I watched A&E about Cindy and George Anthony and the 10th anniversary of Casey Anthony's death. It was very interesting but sad and they are still hurting. George believes that his daughter gave Casey something to put her asleep and or smothered her. Cindy is trying to believe that Casey drowned as that is the only way she can carry on. Casey calls her mom once in awhile but they haven't seen her for some time now. The jury got it wrong. She should be in prison.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments Rita, I could not watch Casey Anthony's parents. I think they are complicit in the death of their granddaughter.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments Stacey, they are treating Mary like she's a victim of politicians trying to get reelected. They're like she's not a predator, they're in love.

No! Just No!

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 376 comments Also these people are saying that the child Vili wasn't really a victim because he had already been sexually active with girls as old as 20.

That was rape also!

message 7: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1113 comments Erin wrote: "Rita, I could not watch Casey Anthony's parents. I think they are complicit in the death of their granddaughter."

Really Erin? If that is the way it happened then they are both good actors. No blame goes to Casey? I think she got sick of being a mom because she wanted to party hardy.

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments If what Mary Kay and Vili felt for each other was the real thing, they could have waited until he reached the age of consent.

message 9: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1113 comments Fishface wrote: "If what Mary Kay and Vili felt for each other was the real thing, they could have waited until he reached the age of consent."

Good question Fishface. I thought of that too when it first hit the news. It might not have been such a fire-storm had they waited.

message 10: by Fishface (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:11PM) (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments It wouldn't have been a firestorm at all!

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments I saw a news item this morning interviewing Vili's mother. I have always wondered what this has been like for his parents because they are in such a weird position -- raising their grandchildren-by-rape while the rapist does time in prison, then having to smile for the wedding photos. Someone finally asked the mom that question and she said "What can I do? Am I supposed to tell my grandchildren I hate their mother?" The interview made pretty clear she wishes Mary Kay could be eaten by rhinos.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I’ve heard about that story and she was so weird about dating a high school student and I can’t believe she got pregnant by him

message 13: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Has anyone read this book about the case? It is really good. If Loving You Is Wrong: The Shocking True Story of Mary Kay Letourneau by Gregg Olsen

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I never read that book

message 15: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Christine wrote: "I never read that book"

I hope you check it out and if you haven't read Gregg Olson before be sure to check him out. One of the best TC writers.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 127 comments I love Gregg Olson and everything Mary Kay. I’ll check the book out!

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments Koren I’ll read the book

message 18: by Fishface (last edited Jan 13, 2019 06:06AM) (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Christine wrote: "I’ve heard about that story and she was so weird about dating a high school student and I can’t believe she got pregnant by him"

Not once, but twice!

message 19: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Fishface wrote: "Christine wrote: "I’ve heard about that story and she was so weird about dating a high school student and I can’t believe she got pregnant by him"

Not once, but twice!"

Are they still together?

message 20: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Last I heard they were.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments That’s so stupid

message 22: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14109 comments Well, at least he's old enough now to be with her without anyone getting arrested.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I agree with you Fishface