2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
This topic is about Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood #1)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Becky Albertalli‘s book, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Scott, Joan, Susy, Daph, Retna, Dania, Benjamin, Suki, Dyln, Mikayla, Sue, Laura, Erikda, Angela, Sarah, Kerry, CharlieAngel, Eirelyn, Harini

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 76
Week 2: 76
Week 3: 76
Week 4: 76

message 3: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 4238 comments Great to see so many participants for this buddy read! When is everyone planning to start this book?

I have already started and read the first couple of chapters, It is easy to read and I am really liking it so far.

Susy (susysstories) Started the e-book yesterday and today picked up my physical copy at the library today. I've read only the first chapter so far, but it does seem to be very easy to read indeed.

Harini (_hpa) | 37 comments I've started the ebook yesterday and I'm on the sixth chapter now. Couldn't stop laughing at (view spoiler).

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I’m planning on reading tonight and tomorrow. Looking forward to this one.

message 7: by Kristy (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristy Johnston | 360 comments I read this for a group read in April and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. One of my favorites for the year so far.

Harini - I laughed so hard at that part that I had to stop and read that entire section to my husband so that he could laugh too!

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I've read through chapter 8. I'm really enjoying it. There are many funny parts and I love the way it is written. It's definitely a quick read. I'm expecting to be done with it today. (view spoiler)

Since my kids are both around this age I feel like I get a glimpse into high school life again.

message 9: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 4238 comments I just finished and really like it! It is such a cute story that also manages to deal with heavier themes:(view spoiler)

I can only hope the second book about Leah is just as good! (view spoiler)

Regarding Blue (view spoiler)

message 10: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I just finished it. I was a fun book and a quick read. I kept turning the pages due to the mystery (view spoiler)

I definitely fell in love with Simon's character and I loved his sense of humor.

My daughter has read the book and she saw the movie. I know she was disappointed in the movie. A bunch of kids and a couple of teachers from her school went to see it. It sounded like it really veered from the book but I still want to watch it.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I have finished this as well and absolutely loved it! I rarely give a book a solid 5 stars, but this one definitely deserves it. :D

I had already seen the movie, so there was no mystery for me about who Blue was, but in a way, I kind of enjoyed that because it gave me a new way of viewing that person each time he was mentioned, even though Simon didn't know it was him.

I actually really loved the movie. I thought it was well-acted and so so honest in the way it dealt with all of its themes. I enjoyed the book better though (no surprise there XD), but not exponentially so or anything. The book just allows for more in-depth character development and deeper subplots because it can be as long as it needs to be, where as the movie only has ~2 hours to cover the same ground.

But one thing I really loved about the book more than the movie was that (view spoiler)

message 12: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) I finished yesterday and really liked it. When I started it, it started out as a 3 star book. It was ok, but a romance with teens is not really my thing lol. And as Blue says hetero shouldn't be the default, like, if I don't like romance novels then I shouldn't like this one either. But Simon is fun! I loved reading his thoughts and I also liked the "mystery" of Blue (although I'd figured out pretty quickly who he was, or at least, I suspected so). So it went to 3.5 stars. And the connection with the characters grew. I was actually mad at Abby (view spoiler)
Also liked Leah's story (view spoiler)
And I even ended up feeling sorry for Martin!
I started reading faster and that is always a good sign ;) so I ended up giving it 4 stars. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series!

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I saw the movie. I thought it was really cute. They changed a couple of things but it wasn't anything that changed the story horribly.

I don't know if I'll be able to get Leah on the Offbeat for next month but I'm going to try. I liked Leah as a character in the book.

Susy I agree with you on Martin. (view spoiler)

I definitely liked the characters in this book. I also liked the lightness of it even though the book was about some pretty deep subjects.

Blagica  | 12050 comments I also read this and loved it I might be able to join you all next month.

message 15: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Joan wrote: "I saw the movie. I thought it was really cute. They changed a couple of things but it wasn't anything that changed the story horribly.

I don't know if I'll be able to get [book:Leah on the Offbea..."

Yes I cried too.

I got Leah from oceanofpdf.com

message 16: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments Susy wrote: "Joan wrote: "I saw the movie. I thought it was really cute. They changed a couple of things but it wasn't anything that changed the story horribly.

I don't know if I'll be able to get [book:Leah ..."

Actually I'm in luck - the library had a copy of it at one of their branches. I should get it on Wednesday.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.