Horror Aficionados discussion

eReaders/eBooks > Hoopla Digital

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5546 comments Mod
Anybody else utilize Hoopla? It's a website/app that features ebooks, movies, music, comics, etc.

I discovered that my local library system's lack of some books and material in Overdrive/Kindle format or hard copies is due to the fact that they also offer stuff through Hoopla.

It's nice because they have some titles you can't find through Amazon Kindle and OOP books. The one major drawback is that ebooks are not as user friendly as Kindle books. It's not easy (or at least so far as I can tell) to scroll through ebooks, and the pagination is much different than other sources.

Anyway, any body else use Hoopla?
Thoughts? Tips and tricks you've found?

message 2: by Char (new)

Char  | 16830 comments Mod
I have not tried Hoopla, but I plan to. I use Overdrive which is what my local libraries use, but it looks like they are now switching, (or maybe it's Overdrive that's switching?), to another app called Libby.

I mostly use my libraries for audiobooks, because they're a bit too pricey for me most of the time.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments My local library uses Overdrive in tandem with Libby. I find Libby much more user friendly than the Overdrive app.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments I love using Hoopla for my audiobooks, graphic novels, and music (I don't use it much for e-books). They have greatly improved the user interface with their last few upgrades. If it wasn't for Hoopla, I don't think I would be as into graphic novels as I am right now.

The sad part is the check out limits. I am not sure how the library sets this, but it frequently fluctuates. It started at 3, went up to 8, and is now down to 5. 5 is kind of low for my usage.

Also, another warning - your library only gets a certain number of checkouts per day for all their patrons. Changes are high if you try to check something out in the evening, you will not be able to because they will have used up all of their checkouts.

message 5: by Lena (last edited May 30, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Lena | 2494 comments I need to try this? Is it free through the library too? My library uses Overdrive/Libby and I subscribe to Scribd as well.

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Lena wrote: "I need to try this? Is it free through the library too? My library uses Overdrive/Libby and I subscribe to Scribd as well."

Your library has to subscribe to it, but if they have it, it is free.

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Overdrive only lets me put 5 on hold (and the waits are eternal) and checkout 3 at a time. Don't they know that that is not nearly enough?!!!

message 8: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I use it all the time. It's great for comics and ok for audiobooks. As I understand it the library gets charged per download.

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Bark wrote: "Overdrive only lets me put 5 on hold (and the waits are eternal) and checkout 3 at a time. Don't they know that that is not nearly enough?!!!"

Ooooh - your Overdrive is much stricter than mine. I can put 10 on hold and check out 5 at a time. They are connected through a 100+ library consortium so that might have something to do with it, though.

I hear that if you don't mind paying a yearly fee you can sign up for other libraries across the country and use their Overdrive accounts, too.

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5546 comments Mod
Yay I spurred a conversation!

I just discovered that my local library now also offers Libby (which appears to be Overdrives new app when I hit the "Help" link?). I need to check that out.

For Overdrive, this library only offers 5 holds and 5 checkouts at a time. Hoopla doesn't use holds - only "favorites", which is kind of annoying, and allows 8 checkouts per month.

I also use my sister's library account for Overdrive. Her library is part of a much larger library system and allows 10 holds and either 5 or 10 checkouts at a time.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5546 comments Mod
Ooof. Just explored Libby and was surprised to see it only had 2.5/5 stars for reviews. Apparently, the app is a terrible data hog on smartphones and CPU hog on computers. I don't need something that uses 20-30% of my resources when it's not even open and being utilized. Think I'll wait until they make some major fixes to the app before trying it.

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments Alan wrote: "Yay I spurred a conversation!

I just discovered that my local library now also offers Libby (which appears to be Overdrives new app when I hit the "Help" link?). I need to check that out.

For Ov..."

No need to hold on Hoopla - as long as you have checkouts left and the daily library limit has been reached, you can check it out. So, if 50 people want the same book at the same time, they can get it.

message 13: by Laurie (last edited May 31, 2018 10:47AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Alan wrote: "Ooof. Just explored Libby and was surprised to see it only had 2.5/5 stars for reviews. Apparently, the app is a terrible data hog on smartphones and CPU hog on computers. I don't need something th..."

Damn, I hadn't realized that but I pretty much only use my phone for audiobooks, podcasts, texting and Twitter and haven't noticed any slow down/difference since installing Libby.

message 14: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2494 comments I haven’t nothing any pain of Libby either. My libraries don’t use Hoopla 😐

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1005 comments My opinion - the best part of Hoopla is Graphic Novels. Second Best in Audiobooks (Overdrive is better for audiobooks). Third best is music. I haven't really tried their ebook or movie capabilities much.

message 16: by Char (last edited May 31, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

I think I'll download Hoopla on my bigger Fire, I like that one for graphic novels. I use Overdrive and Audible on my phone for audio's but my Audible free trial will be expiring again soon, so I'm wondering if I should try Libby?

Alan, can you please help me to understand regarding Libby? It's using data when you're using it? And/or taking up that much memory, (20-30%?) Please keep in mind, I'm not the greatest with technology.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments I work in a library, so I have some inside knowledge....

I love Hoopla, but it's really expensive for libraries. Hoopla charges the library for each individual use of each title. The number of allowed checkouts is based on the library's budget versus how many cardholders are checking out; we started out with 8 checkouts a month and had to decrease eventually down to 3 due to excessive popularity, which is a real bummer. Our cardholders use up our budgeted daily content so fast that it's all used up in about 10 hours, so you really have to be strategic about when you try to check out, also a bummer. But the graphic novel/comics collection is especially excellent, and you can find a lot of other stuff that your library might not have in its regular collection.

Libby is basically a newer version of OverDrive, and the feedback I've heard has been very positive, but I actually prefer regular old OverDrive; I find it easier to browse, personally, and all the stuff in my wishlist/holds list don't transfer to Libby, which I found annoying.

message 18: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Thanks for the info Jessica!

message 19: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2494 comments Thank you Jessica! I use Overdrive to request things, not a feature of Libby. But Libby has tags which is awesome!

message 20: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5546 comments Mod
Char wrote: "I think I'll download Hoopla on my bigger Fire, I like that one for graphic novels. I use Overdrive and Audible on my phone for audio's but my Audible free trial will be expiring again soon, so I'm..."

From what I read of reviews, but I think some of those comments depend on the device you're using (PC, tablet, smartphone) the app continues to run in the background even when you don't have it open, which can use a lot of your computer's RAM and cause other programs to run slowly.

Plus, from other comments I've read, you're essentially streaming the book from their site, not downloading it like you do with normal Overdrive or Hoopla. So unless you have unlimited data on a cellphone plan, you'll want to only use that if you're using WiFi.

I cannot confirm that these issues happen with any specific device(s), but I read many negative comments from people who complained about the same things.

message 21: by Char (new)

Jessica wrote: "I work in a library, so I have some inside knowledge....

I love Hoopla, but it's really expensive for libraries. Hoopla charges the library for each individual use of each title. The number of all..."

Thanks, Jessica! I did download Hoopla to my Fire and it looks great for graphic novels, for sure!

message 22: by Char (new)

Alan wrote: "Char wrote: "I think I'll download Hoopla on my bigger Fire, I like that one for graphic novels. I use Overdrive and Audible on my phone for audio's but my Audible free trial will be expiring again..."

Thanks, Alan! I think I'm going to hold off on Libby for now and stick with Overdrive. I use Overdrive almost solely for audiobooks, and those I like to listen to on my phone. It would be a real problem if I were using data to listen. I do have an unlimited plan, but like most, after 10 something or others (gigs? Mbs?), it slows everything down. I told you I wasn't very technical! :)