Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands question

Did You FEEL Emotion In This Book?
Betsy Hetzel Betsy (last edited Aug 04, 2014 04:33PM ) Jul 30, 2014 12:28PM
Since I finished the book, I have wondered:

Did you FEEL Emily's pain/ emptiness/ loss?
I thought that with ALL that Emily has to go through and endure that I would be a tear-stained mess yet.... I FELT nothing.
I was TOLD all these horrible things, but there were no feelings expressed and that, for me, was the flaw: the book lacked feeling.

Would you agree or disagree w/ the above? Do give specifics so that I can better understand - thanks!

I guess I didn't feel it enough...that's why I think if she had only been imagining the dog was real, the reader would have felt it strongly..that this was her coping mechanism.

Totally agree - the only time I felt emotion was when Emily worried about the dog, and then when she re-united with the dog. The rest of the time, I just didn't find myself connecting with her. She was a messed up kid before the reactor meltdown, and she was a messed up kid after the reactor meltdown.

I did, there were parts that I really felt emotion, whereas others I didn't. I will say that I didn't feel enough though. If you read my review you'll see that I said the book wasn't as moving as it was cracked up to be. It was pretty good, but it could've been better.

Felt emotion every step of the way... excellent read. Strong first person narrator. If Holden Caulfield is a 10, she was an 8.5. Great read.

BattyKat (last edited Sep 16, 2014 07:40AM ) Sep 16, 2014 07:39AM   0 votes
I think, that since it was written in the voice of a teen girl, and everything was so here, there and everywhere in the story(which didn't bother me in the least, as it is how teens talk!), it left out the emotion.

Not a bad thing, IMHO, because the character wasn't a sappy, weepy girl, didn't talk like one, no 'poor me', so we got to experience it all thru her disconnected narrative.

Teens these days (speaking as a mother of a teen) don't emote much outside of their text screens. Imagine if a teen REALLY expressed themselves as annoyingly as their emoji's do!

So, no, I didn't feel emotion in the book, because it wasn't written that way. At least, not to me!

I don't think felt her pain as much as expected from the description of the book. I think it was because Emily was so disconnected from her feelings. When she talks about the cutting/drug use/prostitution she gives you the facts. It seemed that part of the reason she is still in treatment at the end is that she hasn't emotionally dealt with what happened.

I thought I'd be a hot mess reading this book but I agree - I never felt emotionally attached. The narrative is so matter of fact that there are few times Emily shows emotion. Maybe I'm out of touch with teens, but most teenage girls I know tend to be drama queens so I expected more emotion in this story.

Emily was very disconnected with her feelings and in a strange way that affected me more than anything that happened. I found it sad that she wasn't sad.

It's rare that a book stays with me as long as this one did. I was definitely affected emotionally and thought it was one of the best books of 2014. The author said he was very influenced by his own daughter when writing it and I think that attention to detail was reflected in how the kids in the book responded to situations.

I felt emotion - Emily is a messed up teenager so I don't compare her feelings to mine. I don't reflect hers onto me or think she should have mine, after all, I am not going through what she is. I found the book intense and hard to put down. Loved every minute of it!