The Hyphen Book-Club discussion

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Mc | 62 comments Mod
We're halfway through our challenge! In June we'll be reading Americanah!

message 2: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) Just got it from the library this afternoon--will start it sometime soon. :)

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) Having trouble getting into this one. Maybe just not what I'm in the mood for right now? How are you doing with it, Grace?

message 4: by Grace (new)

Neil wrote: "Having trouble getting into this one. Maybe just not what I'm in the mood for right now? How are you doing with it, Grace?"

I'm about 6/7% in according to my kindle- I've not done much reading this week as have been writing a commissioned article on Toni Morrison's Sula but I'm hoping to get back to Americanah tomorrow!

So far though I'm quite enjoying it although it's too soon to judge!

message 5: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) I'm about 130 pages in now, and it's moving along a little better. I know it's shallow to say, but I hope some really amazingly good things happen to some of these characters sometime. :)

message 6: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) Finished, and interested to hear your thoughts, Grace (and everyone). Especially what you think about the ending. You can see my review (some light spoilers) for my basic initial response to the book.

message 7: by Grace (new)

Hey Neil! I'm about a third of the way through and I'm thinking I'll be done by Thursday! I'm really enjoying it so far and find everything about it fascinating. Im also aware I'm reading this in the run up to my own move to America and thinking about the romantic ideas I have of life there. can't wait to get home to read more!!

message 8: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) I found this one to be a much deeper dive into a number of cultures than the others we've read together this year. It doesn't seem like it's a longer book technically, but it took more more time to work through it somehow. Worthwhile, though!

It should cure you of all your Romantic ideas of America, anyway. :)

message 9: by Grace (new)

So I finished this yesterday and I have to say I really really liked it- it felt like a global/panoramic view of what the characters experienced as being black and/or African in Africa, in America, and in Europe- some of the writing was just beautiful as well! At one point in describing autumn and writes ' the trees free antlers' and I just think that's staggering!