SQHS YLL discussion

Letters from the Inside
This topic is about Letters from the Inside
Letters from the Inside - John Marsden

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Abby Munzanreder | 13 comments Letters from the Inside – John Marsden
Review by Abby Munzanreder

Mandy and Tracey are both sophomores in high school. Tracey decided to put an ad in the local newspaper in search of a pen pal to which Mandy replied to the ad. Mandy and Tracey become very close friends within a short amount of time. They share stories of boyfriends, friends, and beloved pets. They trade stories about their families and school as well. Stories start to be mixed up and switched around which leads to some worries of trust. Everyone starts to wonder what the truth really is. When parents get involved things don’t get better either.

This book was very mysterious throughout which led to me finishing it within 3 days (it’s not long either). Characters are kept somewhat mysterious although, they keep you up with lots of stories of parents, siblings, and friends. This book was lots of fun for testing out my problem-solving capabilities but that’s about all its good for. I did still really enjoy this book in an odd sort of way though. If you want answers from this book, then I suggest not reading it. The book is really one huge cliff hanger the whole time which can be kind of tense. Mandy’s brother also kind of made me uncomfortable at times but the reasoning behind her brother was good for Marsden to add into the book. People like Mandy’s brother happen a lot more in this world than we think. Also, the book goes to prove parents rich, poor, or middle class all sometimes struggle to give their children all their needs. I still really recommend reading Letters from the Inside, for having cliff hangers and uncomfortable parts it’s not a completely horrible book.

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Matter | 18 comments This book sounds good! I'm a big mystery fan, so it sounds like it would be good for me. Your comment about Mandy's brother caught my eye as it makes the book sound dramatic and interesting! However, "it's not a completely horrible book" makes it sound not too promising. Would you say this book gets boring at all?

Abby Munzanreder | 13 comments Cassie wrote: "This book sounds good! I'm a big mystery fan, so it sounds like it would be good for me. Your comment about Mandy's brother caught my eye as it makes the book sound dramatic and interesting! Howeve..."

I think it would be a good book for you but you'd probably read it in like one day. The ending wasn't my favorite but the book didn't get boring to me it was actually different to be reading a book in a form of letters switching from perspective to perspective rather than reading a normal book.

message 4: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 10 comments This book seems interesting! So do they ever end up meeting in person or is this a strict pen pal thing the entire time? I really enjoy problem solving books, it helps keep my brain active so I don't get bored with a book. Also, do they go to the same school? I was curious because you said stories start to get mixed up, therefore i was curious to see if these stories were mixed up in the school or just through this pen pal system. I guess i'll just have to check it out.

message 5: by Cruz (new)

Cruz Meza | 11 comments it sound like a good book I would like to check it out where is it located .

Abby Munzanreder | 13 comments Kylie wrote: "This book seems interesting! So do they ever end up meeting in person or is this a strict pen pal thing the entire time? I really enjoy problem solving books, it helps keep my brain active so I don..."
They do not go to the same school. Stories really get mixed up from things not adding up when things are said in the letters. I don't want to give too much away about whether they meet or not because that also adds their friendship problem.

message 7: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
When was this book written? The pen pal thing seems like it would be replaced with social media in today's times.

It written by a man -- do you think he did a good job capturing the girls' voices?

message 8: by Jayden (new)

Jayden Hogue | 13 comments This book sounds fascinating. When you say that if you are looking for answers, not to read it, do you mean that even in the end there are no answers? Also, I wonder if the conflicts start with the two pen-pals or are there other outside pressures? How did parents get involved? Overall sound like a really interesting book that I should totally read.