NerdFighters Book Club discussion

The reading thread

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bianca (new)

Bianca | 22 comments I love it when a book leads to another book which then leads to a poem which, in turn, makes you want to listen to a song, where a verse from a novel is added and this brings forth a new must-read. I've always liked unforeseeable connections and unexpected sources. I like to be surprised!
Currently I am exploring the immense literature that references to Shakespeare. Just to name three titles: The Fault in Our Stars (which lead me to read Anne Frank's journal, re-read Julius Caesar and put Infinite Jest on my to-read list), The Mortal Instruments and The Sound and The Fury (which makes me want to read Macbeth).
Share your journey from book to book and tell me what are some of the links that you've made.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Corbin-Browne (mizbrowne) | 2 comments I love fantasies that call on traditional literature's motifs. It's tough to get through a book, though, if you have the slightest bit of ADD! :)

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 31 comments Mod
I don't know if this is the same thing but reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower encouraged me to read: The Great Gatsby and Catcher In the Rye (which is my favourite book).

The book also mentions many different artists and I now love Fleetwood Mac and have a better taste in music and also a record player in my room, all thanks to that book!

The Fault In Our Stars also made me more interested in Anne Frank - I had already read the diary but after reading tfios for the 3rd time and when my mum had read it we both agree to visit the house in Amsterdam asap! I love it when books bring so much history and art together and get you excited and interested about new things :D

message 4: by Bianca (new)

Bianca | 22 comments Sue wrote: "I love fantasies that call on traditional literature's motifs. It's tough to get through a book, though, if you have the slightest bit of ADD! :)"

Yes, it is always fascinating to get some references and understand some of the symbols. I guess it's safe to say that there is no book whose mysteries I have completely unraveled :)
Unfortunately, I read quite slow...

message 5: by Bianca (last edited Jul 31, 2014 01:14AM) (new)

Bianca | 22 comments Becca wrote: "I don't know if this is the same thing but reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower encouraged me to read: The Great Gatsby and Catcher In the Rye (which is my favourite book).

The book also menti..."

Exactly, Becca, this is great about arts: they are cosmically intertwined :D
I love the music references from The Perks of Being a Wallflower!

Google-ing Fleetwood Mac right now ;)